2000 Ford 7.3L Motovan build (225's build cont'd)

Pangle

Wanderer
OK thanks.. Yea I will prob end up doing it for sure but man is it worrisome having that big Ambo up on jack stands! Thats the thing giving me a little pause... well that and the financial aspect!

CaptainBuilt

OK thanks.. Yea I will prob end up doing it for sure but man is it worrisome having that big Ambo up on jack stands! Thats the thing giving me a little pause... well that and the financial aspect!

It messed with me having the van on jack stands and no suspension under the van. Kinda scary!

I got a smoking deal on a low mileage transfer case:

JaMSY8Al.jpg

zVvkfsxl.jpg

Checked the tailshaft I bought for it. Fits perfectly.

wCscqlgl.jpg

Pangle

Wanderer
Thats fantastic! I have a guy that is willing to sell me a complete chassis for an 04 f30 for like 750.. .so im pretty tempted

CaptainBuilt

Tried to change my fan clutch. That was a bust. For some strange reason, the van 7.3 clutch fan nut is tucked in behind the fan. Need a special tool I guess. But according to the reviews, it looks like it almost works. I dunno...
f7cL2xMl.jpg

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Tried to change my fan clutch. That was a bust. For some strange reason, the van 7.3 clutch fan nut is tucked in behind the fan. Need a special tool I guess. But according to the reviews, it looks like it almost works. I dunno...
f7cL2xMl.jpg

I borrowed a pair of specialty wrenches from the local parts store... made the job easy. I then returned the tools. I replaced the pump, hoses, and thermostat at the same time.

CaptainBuilt

I've been having crazy high EGT's. I think due to the failure of the EBPV......

I ordered a ebpv delete kit about a year ago lol. Never installed it. I was told that the kit wouldn't work on vans. That's kinda true. The pedestal works great. But the flapper valve delete doesn't. To remedy this, I removed the rivets on the flapper and pulled the valve out. Then plugged it with a freeze plug.

Turbo:

tReZuDxl.jpg

Valve gone:

NoiPJfYl.jpg

Freeze plug in:

u1has1dl.jpg

I also have a set of bellowed up pipes I wanna install. But the bolts that hold my up pipes not are shot. So I'm ordering those.

CaptainBuilt

Great job.

I'll have to file away your solution in case I ever need it.

Thanks. There's a bushing that's held in place with a clip. I removed the clip and pounded out the bushing out with a socket, and brought the bushing to the parts store. That way I didn't have to lug the turbo with me to find the right freeze plug.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
...For some strange reason, the van 7.3 clutch fan nut is tucked in behind the fan...

The fan clutch threads onto the water pump. The nut is between the clutch and the pump. What's so strange about that? It's where they're all located. Also, it's a fan clutch, as in a clutch to disengage the fan, not a clutch fan, which would be a fan to cool the clutch.

CaptainBuilt

What's so strange about that?

I understand how a fan clutch works.

On a regular 7.3 F-250 fan clutch, the nut sticks out past the fan:

BbTGNUOl.jpg

On the van version, the nut sits INSIDE the fan. Impossible to get to without a curved tool to get around the fan:

YaSnSQK.jpg

f7cL2xMl.jpg

It's not a straight forward install.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94