2000 Ford 7.3L Motovan build (225's build cont'd)

Village Idiot
OUTSTANDING!
Thanks!

Lookin good. Would be nice to have that much clearance loading n unloading bikes.

Since I'm going 4WD, and the bumper height will be sky high, I need the wheelchair lift. The new height helps too.

After a LOT of work, the doors have been sanded, primed and then sprayed with bedliner. Same for the rear bumper. Inside door jambs have been sanded and painted black. I still need to finish attaching the top with a few more screws and seal everything up. And wash it lol.

I pulled the 12k hitch off. It was super ugly. I'll install a smaller one soon.

Next is pull the flooring up, and install the wheelchair lift, then make an extension for it so the bike will fit.

NUX5fddl.jpg

Oldcarnut

Adventurer
Thanks!

Since I'm going 4WD, and the bumper height will be sky high, I need the wheelchair lift. The new height helps too.
Next is pull the flooring up, and install the wheelchair lift, then make an extension for the bike to fit.
How big a lift are you going on the 4WD conversion? I did a 6 inch on my bus and ended up being about a foot taller after new tires and non-sagging leafs.
I think I should have only gone 4 inches with the conversion but did not want to regret going too small like I did on the last vehicle I lifted. Makes loading bikes rather sketchy even with 10 foot long ramps.
Would love to see the lift extension as that's what I'm thinking of doing with mine, but have heard from various people that the lift will not last lifting 400#+ motorcycles due to center of gravity being further away from lift posts.
Good luck and keep up the good work.

Village Idiot
How big a lift are you going on the 4WD conversion? I did a 6 inch on my bus and ended up being about a foot taller after new tires and non-sagging leafs.
I think I should have only gone 4 inches with the conversion but did not want to regret going too small like I did on the last vehicle I lifted. Makes loading bikes rather sketchy even with 10 foot long ramps.
Would love to see the lift extension as that's what I'm thinking of doing with mine, but have heard from various people that the lift will not last lifting 400#+ motorcycles due to center of gravity being further away from lift posts.
Good luck and keep up the good work.

I'm doing a 4" lift with 33" tires. I know a few people who do track days, and have had no issues using a wheelchair lift. I imagine if you use the lift all the time, it may mess it up. But I won't use it but a couple times a month. I think it will be ok.

Village Idiot
That's what I meed. Seems like I've seen that pic somewhere...

There's pics all over. People turn these into lifts all the time for bikes.

I was installing the lift and a cylinder blew a seal. So I had to go get a cap to cap the line off. Luckily, it was the ram that cylinder that I will be removing anyways.

The lift in in! Still need to run power to it. Once I have power, I'll record a video.

Up.

LIBRH67l.jpg

Halfway.

ky43fjql.jpg

Down.

L4nV75El.jpg

8ft awning on.

DJprFqCl.jpg

Village Idiot
Tested out the $120 eBay awning ARB knockoff. My thoughts? It's worth what I paid. Not a penny more.

SCiFQMNl.jpg

Village Idiot
wow surprisingly fast cycle

Thanks, I'm hustling. Trying to get everything done that way I can have it 4WD by winter.

I worked on the van some more today.

I ordered all new locks because I had 2 different keys I had to use.

The old locks.

gy9WG2dl.jpg

I knocked off the flip down flap and planning for the flip out extension.

AbD2Vacl.jpg

I3B5Mdtl.jpg

I trimmed the driver side interior panel to clear the rear A/C. I guess I need to figure out how to cover that up, but it's on. I also put in the the passenger side too. These came with the high top.

VanKjuPl.jpg

eQyhxcCl.jpg

Cf9h3yfl.jpg

Before I start working on the ceiling, I need to install solar panels, and a roof vent. But before I can do that, I'm going to spray bedliner the entire van.

I may do the flooring next. We'll see.

Village Idiot
I started patching all the holes in the floor. I thought about welding them, but I din't wanna introduce anymore oxidation than there already was. Plus, the fiberglass resin encapsulates everything so water can't even get to it.

I ran out of resin, so the rest will have to wait a while. I have a boat job I have to go do.

Next will be fiberglass in some roof ribs that way I can mount a ceiling. Solar panels, roof vents, and the flooring.

42284933004_13f0d2abf1_b.jpg

Village Idiot
Since I'm working towards 4WD, and I need to build up my toy savings account, I'll mostly be working on the interior.

I drove 900 miles to work (2 weeks ago), and on the way, the silicone on the front of the fiberglass top failed. I had to use Gorilla Tape all across the front to stop air from coming in and lifting the top off while I'm going down the interstate. I don't think it will fly off. The rest of the top is on there pretty good.

Once I get home, I'll take the top back off, do a little fiberglass work that I wanted to do before anyway, and then re-install it using 3M 5200. Then I promise you it won't move again.

I started a YouTube channel / website. Take a look.

I've been looking at a bunch of sprinters and how they have window flares so you can lay sideways in the van instead of long ways. That would be awesome for the Econoline Vans. I searched and searched, and I found nothing. But what I did find, is a guy who did his own DIY window flares for an older Sprinter.

Here is the link: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36124

I need to measure the interior width of my van to see if it's plausible. But I would like to give it a try. It would free up lots of room for decent cabinets and the fridge I wanna use. Plus the toilet, etc...

Here are a few pics from his build. I've done this exact same process on another project and it came out great.

Plug pics:

XCqqmZel.jpg

mZdRAvnl.jpg

ZddcNk6l.jpg

And finished:

Interior:
SUExdiJl.jpg

nqKpmdTl.jpg

tgvcDJZl.jpg

Once I have everything measured, hopefully I can do this, even if it's a 4-5" flare on each side of the van, I'll be happy with it.

I finally settled on my new flooring too.

PEOIE1ml.jpg

Anyway, carry on.

Reactions: WVI

luthj

Engineer In Residence
You found my flare! That was a fair bit of work, but the sideways bed 100% made my layout work. No regrets 500 nights later. For an off road serious rig, I would embed a piece of aluminum stock in the leading edge. Just for extra bump protection.

If you made a decent mold, I bet you could sell a few. I got 10 or so requests myself.

Village Idiot
You found my flare! That was a fair bit of work, but the sideways bed 100% made my layout work. No regrets 500 nights later. For an off road serious rig, I would embed a piece of aluminum stock in the leading edge. Just for extra bump protection.

If you made a decent mold, I bet you could sell a few. I got 10 or so requests myself.

I was looking for the same idea when I came across your thread. Great work, and good pointers on the flare, AND nice Sprinter!

I was planning on adding plywood, but the aluminum is a great idea too. And I may try to sell a few. If the first set comes out great, I may just go ahead and make a few more while everything is out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz