2000 Ford 7.3L Motovan build (225's build cont'd)

Village Idiot
The alternator is right above it. I can’t tell which one is making the noise. I guess I won’t know until I pull it.

gmtech

Observer
mine did that also. try a long screw driver on the pulley you should be able to hear it.
also does it have two pulleys right next together? I think I paid around 75 bucks for the tensioner with both pulleys.
when I ended up getting the tensioner on which is pretty easy the belt was so stretched the new tensioner wouldn't hold it tight enough. so I had to get a new belt also.

gmtech

Observer
belt 2.jpgbelt 1.jpgmine had roughly 243,000 when it went. its easy you don't have to move anything. but a electric ratchet does help after you brake the bolt loose.

Village Idiot
Thanks for the info! My Milwaukee ratchet it at home.......

It was making a rattling / chattering sound? That's what I'm 90% sure it is.

Village Idiot
Thanks. Good to know. I’m sending the parts to my office so I can fix it when I get off the boat.

Village Idiot
Not van related, but here are a few pics from work:

One happy deckhand:

hVwEX0Xl.jpg

The type of boat I work on:

v9a29WWl.jpg

Loading rock barges:

5diEt5Ll.jpg

My other deckhand:

WdikGDdl.jpg

Probably chemical plant stuff:

ebbuU3hl.jpg

Going to Decatur Alabama:

F5NqSxGl.jpg

Coffeeville Locks at sunrise:

bz9LXjSl.jpg

The dam at Coffeeville:

YETaGXLl.jpg

Village Idiot
It’s a lifestyle, not just a job. When you have an ancient job like being a captain that people have been doing for hundreds of years, a lot of respect comes along with the position.

I know it sounds silly, but out here you’re somebody. People look up to you and admire to be you. For 6 months I took a break and did a regular 9-5. And you’re just another dude punching the clock. No one cares anything about you, or your life. Just do your job and shut up.

Out here, everyone wants to be you and you’re definitely a role model. Everyone at work LOVES my van and the crazy stuff I do. No one at work has a van or anything close. So it’s fun being a little wacky and having a soon to be 4wd van.

Village Idiot
For a 7.3, the bearings in the middle of each wheel are about $6/each here... likely $4 for you guys. They’re easy to change out. I changed all of mine the last time I had the belt off.

I wish I could, but I'm doing it in a parking lot 12 hours from home. Then get in it and drive home.

I'm debating doing the gear change myself or bringing it to a shop. I'm putting a TrueTrac in the rear with 4.10's before I get the transmission and T-case done. Maybe an air locker in the front.

I'll pay for the gear change if it's on the $3-500 range. If it's more than that, I'll do it myself. Still pushing to have that done by 12/1, ski season.

I'll have the axle and entire UJ kit this time off, and wheels and tires next time. I'm hoping not to have to entirely rebuild the front axle. If I don't, I can meet my deadline.

Any feedback on Vision wheels?

The 17x9, -12 offset, 4.5 backspacing are $83.17 on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2OR277h The Cragar's are $118 for the same wheel.

I'm going with the BFG AT KO2 - 285x70Rx17E (33x11.50R17)

y60xX7yl.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: WVI

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I wish I could, but I'm doing it in a parking lot 12 hours from home. Then get in it and drive home.

I'm debating doing the gear change myself or bringing it to a shop. I'm putting a TrueTrac in the rear with 4.10's before I get the transmission and T-case done. Maybe an air locker in the front.

I'll pay for the gear change if it's on the $3-500 range. If it's more than that, I'll do it myself. Still pushing to have that done by 12/1, ski season.

I'll have the axle and entire UJ kit this time off, and wheels and tires next time. I'm hoping not to have to entirely rebuild the front axle. If I don't, I can meet my deadline.

Any feedback on Vision wheels?

The 17x9, -12 offset, 4.5 backspacing are $83.17 on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2OR277h The Cragar's are $118 for the same wheel.

I'm going with the BFG AT KO2 - 285x70Rx17E (33x11.50R17)

y60xX7yl.jpg

I here you. I had one trip when I bought a shorter belt when the A/C compressor died on the road.

I think all I used to change the bearings was a wrench and a hammer. They’re sealed and don’t even need grease.

If you rebuild the old ones you can have a spare for next time.

Reactions: 225

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz