2000 Nissan Xterra Spring Over

I just completed a job on a 2000 Nissan Xterra. The customer brought me a truck that had already been modified with a D44 in the front on radius arms and a H233B in the rear on Alcan 4" lift springs. The truck was stiff as hell in the rear and the spring under is like a rock anchor. We took some good measurements and called Bill at Alcan to build us a new set of springs. Installing them was a snap, but we also wanted to run remote reservoir Fox shocks. Getting the shocks to fit around the EVAP system took some time, but I think they fit nicely. We used Fox 2.0" x 11" shocks from Kartek and the small bits like the U-Bolt Flip Kit and Lower Shock Mounts we sourced from Parts Mike.

Here are some pics of before and after. Enjoy!

Before

New and Old

Mock Up

Shock Mount

Assembly

Flexing

After

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Really nice truck. What size tire is that - 285?

One day I will set up a similar suspension under my 2nd gen Xterra.

John Cocktosen

It's all ball bearings!
Thanks for the compliment Proper... Those are 285/75-16 BFG KM2's wrapped around Nismo / Ray's forged wheels. Essentially 33's, which is the largest I could stuff without cutting the fenders...

Stoffregen has been trying to get me to cut the fenders to fit 35's, but I can't bring myself to do it yet. Maybe once I get some trail damage and there's no going back. :D

Last edited:

John Cocktosen

It's all ball bearings!
For anyone that's interested in duplicating this setup and saving a few bucks, I am selling an identical set of springs. The only difference is that they will need to be run with the center pin in the front hole on the perches shown above for the axle to be located properly. The reason I replaced them is because I am so God damned anal retentive that I wanted to have the center pin located in the center hole on the perch if I ever decide to move my axle back further for 37's. Spring do not come with bushings.

The above referenced anti wrap perches with the 3 locating holes can be found here: http://www.partsmike.com/index.php?c...on=show_detail These springs provide approximately 4" lift over stock height, perfect for use with any SAS swap. Way flexier, and provides WAY more ground clearance than any spring under setup could ever offer. They provide approximately 11" of overall travel.

Springs were mounted, but have only been run for 200 (gentle, on-road) miles. They normally cost $630.00 + shipping and tax for the pair from Alcan. Asking $475 + shipping, but no reasonable offer refused. See additional pics below for a better idea of what this setup will look like on your rig. Note that I am running shackles that are about 2 1/4 " longer than stock.

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

Top Edit Reply

Last edited:

John Cocktosen

It's all ball bearings!
Thanks for the compliment. Its a Dana 44 out of an '85 Waggy, mounted with a slightly modified Calmini radius arm kit and Fox remote reservoirs.

Here's the donor. Somebody joked at the time that it looked like I dredged this thing up form Atlantis.. LOl it was bad.

The Calmini kit, recoated and powdercoated black

The axle after a long and tedious rebuild from head to toe

A close up of the radius arm and shock mounts welded to the axle

Last edited:

trae

Adventurer
That's very cool. Love the look of the first gen xterras. They are quite utilitarian but still good looking and comfortable. How's the ride compared to stock and what kinda mpg do you get with the 33"s?

John Cocktosen

It's all ball bearings!
That's very cool. Love the look of the first gen xterras. They are quite utilitarian but still good looking and comfortable. How's the ride compared to stock and what kinda mpg do you get with the 33"s?

Thanks. Ride is actually better than stock. Nowhere near as stiff. Of course, it's on-road prowess isn't quite what it was stock, but who cares? 4 wheel drive vehicles are meant to be in 4 wheel drive.

As for the gas mileage, I've never calculated it. I really don't want to know to be honest. I'm running 5.13's front and rear, so the speedo and shift points in the tranny are accurate, but I can tell you that it sucks the tank dry QUICK. The primary reason for the poor gas mileage is the weight. With the bumpers, rock sliders, and Gobi roof rack, this thing weighs in at a whopping 5300 lbs unloaded... It's a pig.

Last edited:

trae

Adventurer
Fair enough. You gotta pay to play. I used to have a first gen and even stock it wouldn't get more than 400km to the tank. Though with more than 300,000km on the odometer it was still reliable and fun truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94