2000 Suburban K1500 budget low lift with 37"s

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I could teach you how to adjust, rebuild, and otherwise repair a carburetor in exchage for a total 6 month course including a free military airlift replacement of any failed computer compenents delivered to my exact placement on any map in the world. :love: Thats why I still am so old school that I use a carberuteror.:cool: Cheers, Chilli..:cool:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I could teach you how to adjust, rebuild, and otherwise repair a carburetor in exchage for a total 6 month course including a free military airlift replacement of any failed computer compenents delivered to my exact placement on any map in the world. :love: Thats why I still am so old school that I use a carberuteror.:cool: Cheers, Chilli..:cool:

Chilli,

You have a very valid point that I can not argue with.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
What roof basket is that?

Lilkia,

Great question, I started out with a Rola basket part number 59504 and added two 18" extensions part number 59505. The basket sits on 4 sets of Yakima cross bars and 2 factory bars to distribute the weight evenly as well as to keep the basket from bending or bowing.

Rola Roof Basket and extensions

If you look around long enough you should be able to find the basket for around $90 shipped and extensions for $35 shipped each.

Write-up on the roof rack from a previous post

Hope this helps, good luck.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Day trip: Hoover Dam trails.

Couple of my friends convinced me to get out for a half a day adventure to explore some fun and easy trails south of the Hoover Dam but before the paved access road to Willow Beach AZ in the Lake Mead NRA.

cw9NbUp.jpg

First trail was Horse Thief Canyon which the Park Service closes in the summer to vehicles.

ZH7pQE4.jpg

Entrance to the trail.

t8JENvz.jpg

White Rock Canyon Bridge

2F9MFMg.jpg

Another angle of the historic White Rock Canyon Bridge in the foreground, this was the original route of the first Rt 93 connecting Las Vegas to Phoenix.

4gr1Ktg.jpg

Dry waterfall at the end of Horse Thief Canyon

htIYZmc.jpg

Two miles down the road we found another 3-4mile long trail named Black Joe Mine, which had three sets of railroad tie road blocks each of which lead to the actual mines. We did not hike to any of the mines. Drove to the end, turned around and came back to pavement.

nCXHAQF.jpg

The last trail we explored was the Old Ranger Station Rd which lead within 1/2 mile of the Colorado River.

XBBJMBC.jpg

At the end of the 4x4 trail there was a 1/2 mile hike to the water and ended up at the old River Guagers House site.

38iXjnt.jpg

Foundation of the old house.

8vvFqfT.jpg

Looking upstream.

YdGhHXW.jpg

Looking downstream.

WwjAbPG.jpg

View of the site from 200ft above on the ridge.

69bhDsI.jpg

Kids had a blast climbing through the rocks on the trail.

AwZUlqH.jpg

Another boulder that blocked the trail.

4VAdzJq.jpg

View up the trail at the boulders 100ft from the vehicle parking area.

This was a great short trip with a really fun hike at the end of a trail to the beautiful Colorado River.

As usual, I shot a couple time lapse videos of the three trails we did, will upload them shortly.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Trail Videos: Horse Thief Canyon and Black Joe Mine

Horse Thief Canyon was a fun easy cruise to a dry waterfall at the end.

Black Joe Mine trail lead to couple roadblocks which would lead to the actual mine sites but we did not get out to hike.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I love the way you keep hitting us with video after video of great stuff Mr Crazy. Cool stuff. Cheers, Chilli...:cool:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Trail Video: Big Wash Rd in Chloride AZ

This has been one of the most enjoyable trails I have ever done. Starts off as a gently rolling dirt road that you can take any sedan on, we passed a Ford Raptor, he wasn't too happy. Once you climb up 2,000ft from the main road, there are several camp grounds and camping areas with breathtaking views.

BLM maintenance ends shortly after Windy Point Camp ground and the trail becomes a really fun narrow twisty mountain shelf road. We ran the entire trail in 2wd high but the looks we got from built Jeeps in 4x4 low were just as priceless as the side by sides we passed. There are several mines along the trail. We stopped to explore one but it was boring compared to the other mines we explored this past summer.

I will get the pictures up and do a trail write up soon.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Day Trip: Chloride AZ and Roy Purcell Murals

Had 1/2 a day to kill so I took the kids for a drive up a trail I have had my eye on for over six months. We followed Big wash Rd just north of Grasshopper Junction 2,000ft up into the mountains. It was by far the most enjoyable drive I have done in a long time. THe trail ran along a ridge overlooking both the wilderness and the valley and Chloride AZ below.

Ed7VNGV.jpg

BLM rd maintenance ended and the trail became fun, narrow and super twisty.

yiN790d.jpg

Pretty cool mine along the trail where the kids got to climb around and explore.

XrGOnMB.jpg

We continued down the trail passing a couple of side by sides and a built Jeep, everyone looked at us in disbelief that a Suburban can manage this trail. All of a sudden the trail flattened out and saw this!

YhJmzLn.jpg

These murals are larger than life.

IP97BUb.jpg

Roy Purcell painted these murals in 1960s.

zdkY9M3.jpg

These are huge murals, the talons are 3-4feet long.

gebQz7y.jpg

Boys standing next to a medium size mural.

SNyZjvx.jpg

Native American themed art.

j00pnah.jpg

These have been continuously restored and up kept since 1960s.

lZFXwBL.jpg

One of the bigger murals

bfYsTYO.jpg

Just to give you a perspective of the size.

ysN4jmI.jpg

Rod of Asclepius?

qvc0Sb1.jpg

Incorporating symbols.

DtglxeP.jpg

Roy likes the serpent.

4A6OvT5.jpg

Hard to see in this picture by there are foot prints all over the murals, like the red one to the left of the male/female symbols.

FCKvH7i.jpg

Highest in elevation mural.

5IsgZlo.jpg

We continued approximately one more mile and reached the mining town of Chloride AZ.

oYwSM6P.jpg

Entire town is sort of an open air freelance art museum and a throwback to the past.

LtE83WF.jpg

I filled up my tires in front of this former gas station house that has a narrow gauge rail road running completely around it. 3 minutes per tire from 17psi to 45psi, not too bad for a little Puma.

Once again an amazing trip with a very special surprise at the end. I would recommend this trail for anyone that is passing through the area, if not the entire Big Wash Rd loop but at least the easy road to the murals.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Cant believe I have missed this thread, looks great! And always good to see another full sized GMT800. Thank you for sharing I was able to add a few more places to my own list, and a few more ideas for my truck.

Happy Trails & Safe Travels

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Cant believe I have missed this thread, looks great! And always good to see another full sized GMT800. Thank you for sharing I was able to add a few more places to my own list, and a few more ideas for my truck.

Happy Trails & Safe Travels

Pacific Northwest,

I am glad I could help you find new trails and ideas for your GMT800 truck. If you are ever in the southwest PM me I'll point you to some killer trails and backcountry areas to explore.

BTW, I am glad that you are using your 2500 to it's full potential and actually have a picture of your truck hooked up to a horse trailer in the dirt. And your moto adventure is fantastic.

plumber mike

Adventurer
Great travels and pics.
I've fallen behind on this thread and am curious about that front bumper. What is it or what did it come off of?
Thanks for sharing with us.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Great travels and pics.
I've fallen behind on this thread and am curious about that front bumper. What is it or what did it come off of?
Thanks for sharing with us.

Plumber Mike,

Thanks for checking back. The bumper is from a 2015 Ford Raptor. I found a killer deal on craigslist and could not resist. I have a 3" body lift and the bumper bolted right up with a little bit of light modification. I got a little more of an approach angle with it and I like the look way better than the GM chrome bumper.

PS; I like the pic of your 2500 with the canoe and a cargo trailer hooked up in a different thread.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Pacific Northwest,

I am glad I could help you find new trails and ideas for your GMT800 truck. If you are ever in the southwest PM me I'll point you to some killer trails and backcountry areas to explore.

BTW, I am glad that you are using your 2500 to it's full potential and actually have a picture of your truck hooked up to a horse trailer in the dirt. And your moto adventure is fantastic.
Haha, yeah she has had a heard life. But a great truck, and still going strong. Growing up farming and ranching, it's been well used as intended and then some. But still very capable.

I still have to update the rest of the Moto story, hopefully I can finish it this week. And thank you, for following along!!

I will 100% take you up on that offer at somepoint, thank you very much. I know there is so much there to see.

Sent from somewhere remote on my BlackBerry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles