2000 Tundra "catch and release" expo rig

AddictedOffroad

Adventurer
So, I have built countless rigs in the past. Too many to count in fact. But, I recently scored a mini-truck popup/cabover. Its a 90s SunLite and in pretty good shape now that I cleaned it up. It fits well in my 84 xtra-cab, but the truck is an absolute turd when its in there. Just not much I can do with a 22r motor. So, I have been on the lookout for something with more power.
1506487_1102620379759306_6608019509720947331_n.jpg

I also have a 2008 Hyde Contender drift boat that I fly fish with. Problem is that the closest rivers to me are the North Platte In Alcova, WY, The Green in Utah, and the Big Horn river, in Northern WY/Montana. And its damn near a guarantee that I will hit a steady 20-30mph wind on the drive up. So, I needed something with power in relation to a 115hp 22r. I thought about Tacomas, but unless it was supercharged, I knew I wouldn't be happy with how it handled the weight.

I already have a 2001 Sequoia that I lifted and geared, and its been doing boat towing duty for the last year. Its geared right for the 33s and pulls the boat great.
Sequoia.jpg

But, I want to get to some more remote places to fish with the boat and the camper. So, I needed a pickup.

Browsing Craigslist, I found a 2000 Tundra V8 with 183K on it. It had a bad tranny in it. So, I bought it and then picked up a tranny from YotaJim's in Denver. Two days later she is running driving fine.
10329318_1102605863094091_4201757502591033166_n.jpg

So, here is the build plan.
Toytec 3" Boss System. 650lb coils up front.
Deaver Progressive pack in the rear.
I will also add some air-bags to the rear as well for when the camper is used.
4.88 gears
LT285x75r17 Toyo Open Country A/T2s
Our front winch bumper
rocksliders
R&D a new rear bumper

The camper will run off two UPS deep cycle Xcel Energy batteries.

The boat in question as well:
Hyde2.jpg

AddictedOffroad

Adventurer
Old tranny's torque converter failed badly. wouldn't even put power to the wheels and sounded like a box of rocks in the tranny was tumbling over and over.

So, pulled the old one out and put a lower mileage good one in.
old tranny.jpg

One thing I cannot live without is a decent sound system. The guy who owned this truck was pushing 75yrs old. So, I figured the factory speakers would be ok. They are for now. But, the factory headunits suck in these. Installed a Pioneer avh-4800bs. Hard to beat the price of one of these.
Pioneer.jpg

Here is some of the Toytec Goodies along with the timing belt kit that this truck has never had done on it yet. I look forward to a weekend of , beer, cussing, and bloody knuckles doing it.
Goodies.jpg

And a pic of the camper cranked up the day I got it. Poor 84 pickup. :)
SunLite.jpg

rickashay

Explorer
Awesome Scotty! Glad your embracing the Tundra ways. Can't wait to see the bumper on your Sequoia on the Tundra and also a rear bumper option for us Tundra guys. High clearance please!!! haha

huntsonora

Explorer
I think I saw your Sequoia in Windsor the other day. Damn nice!! Can't wait to see how you like the Tundra when it's done

AddictedOffroad

Adventurer
Wow 4.88s with 33s that trucks gonna have some serious jam off the line

I run 4.88s in the Sequoia. Love it. No drop in mpgs and big increase in power. OD is so tall in the A340F that I only pull 2700rpms at 80.

That and 285x75r17s aren't a 33. They are 34s.
A 285x70r17 is a 33. Regardless 4.88s are the proper gears for these with 33-34" tires.

I figure it can also pull the buggy on a case by case basis
.image.jpeg

Last edited:

AddictedOffroad

Adventurer
Awesome Scotty! Glad your embracing the Tundra ways. Can't wait to see the bumper on your Sequoia on the Tundra and also a rear bumper option for us Tundra guys. High clearance please!!! haha

You know how we build our stuff. We're not afraid to cut sheet metal to build it right.

AddictedOffroad

Adventurer
So, most guys with Tundras do the Tundra 231mm brake upgrade, but this one will be a little different.

I recently torn down a 4th gen 4runner IFS system. So, these are off of a 07 4th gen Sport Edition model. They will ONLY work with 17" wheels and grinding is required as well as 1.25" wheel spacers. But, the rotors are 338mm in diameter and the calipers are 13WH calipers and are also 231mm.

The advantage is that the rotor is another 1" larger in diameter. The rotor slides over the hub just like any other rotor. But, the caliper is just slightly offset to the inside, so it requires shaving down the inner ears on the caliper where it bolts on. You need to take it down about 1/16" to get it to clear. I also had to grind some inner ears on the caliper a little bit. It all clears now as well. I will also be swapping in a 1" bore master cylinder as well.

16" wheels will not work even with 1.25" spacers. These brakes are BIG.

Also, you need to really watch your brake hardlines where they attach to the new caliper. under full turn, they will get very close to the shock itself. So, you need to route them correctly to make they clear on each side at full turn.

Oh yeah, lift is on as well. Just waiting on wheels/tires to get delivered hopefully today.

Here are the old rotors/calipers
Caliper 4.jpg

New stuff. Look at the backing plate for reference on the size difference in rotors
Caliper2.jpg

Caliper3.jpg

rickashay

Explorer
Wow that's wicked regarding the 4th gen sport brakes. Having just picked up a 08' Sport Edition, I have been admiring it's stopping prowess compared to my Tundra. This brake upgrade might be in my near future as my Tundra brakes are getting tired. Please post more info on the booster setup as well.

busmup808

So, most guys with Tundras do the Tundra 231mm brake upgrade, but this one will be a little different.

I recently torn down a 4th gen 4runner IFS system. So, these are off of a 07 4th gen Sport Edition model. They will ONLY work with 17" wheels and grinding is required as well as 1.25" wheel spacers. But, the rotors are 338mm in diameter and the calipers are 13WH calipers and are also 231mm.

The advantage is that the rotor is another 1" larger in diameter. The rotor slides over the hub just like any other rotor. But, the caliper is just slightly offset to the inside, so it requires shaving down the inner ears on the caliper where it bolts on. You need to take it down about 1/16" to get it to clear. I also had to grind some inner ears on the caliper a little bit. It all clears now as well. I will also be swapping in a 1" bore master cylinder as well.

16" wheels will not work even with 1.25" spacers. These brakes are BIG.

Also, you need to really watch your brake hardlines where they attach to the new caliper. under full turn, they will get very close to the shock itself. So, you need to route them correctly to make they clear on each side at full turn.

Oh yeah, lift is on as well. Just waiting on wheels/tires to get delivered hopefully today.

Here are the old rotors/calipers
View attachment 336620

New stuff. Look at the backing plate for reference on the size difference in rotors
View attachment 336621

View attachment 336622
When you say inner ears, do you mean both sides of the inner ears or just one side of the inner ears?This is in regards to the 1/16th. Mahaloz in advance

sent from my Hawn fingers

AddictedOffroad

Adventurer
When you say inner ears, do you mean both sides of the inner ears or just one side of the inner ears?This is in regards to the 1/16th. Mahaloz in advance

sent from my Hawn fingers

1/16" off the caliper side of where they bolt to the spindle. Basically there is a raised pad where they bolt on. And you need to take that pad flush with the rest of the caliper.

The rotor also rubbed a little on the outside of each caliper, so I ground a little there as well. Its not hard to see when you bolt it all together. I bolt the unloaded caliper on to see where it needs to be clearanced. Then realized about the mounting pad when I put the new pads in place and tried to put them on.

AddictedOffroad

Adventurer
FWIW, I had the 199mm calipers to start with. I believe they were 13WE calipers. So, this is a big upgrade and with needing to tow the boat and having the camper in the bed, I figure its a must have upgrade. Plus I needed brake anyway since I could feel a shimmy when stopping.

I also did steering rack bushings today as well. Originals were wasted.

Tire and wheels will be here Tuesday now. So, I will be tearing into the timing belt this weekend. Hopefully when all of this stuff is done, I will have another 100K left in this truck.

Gears will be here Monday as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles