2000 V10 E350 Van Build (re-build from prev owner) 200w solar, Roof rack fab, LOTS of LED bars, custom interior and more

RC000E

We've gone from Class A, to Skoolie to Camper Van conversion. Going to break it all down to about a 6 part vid series of the build, then some travel vids. Who likes to read anyway? Grab a coffee or tea, sit back and watch a nice vid.

In this video we explain the build, show what we bought initially, talk briefly about the back story and will lead right into the build series. Lots of progress already.

Last edited:

eporter

Adventurer
Looks interesting. I like reading though. Can you do a transcript or bullet point list? I can’t always watch a whole video. Keep up the good work!

RC000E

lol....ok.

Bought:

• 2000 Ford E350 V10
  • 200w Solar w bad batteries
  • Coleman stove
  • Finished interior in crude reclaimed wood
  • Full cellular foam walls/ceiling professionally sprayed (though hazardously executed)
Did test trip to establish likes/dislikes
- Determined need more room over bed
- Need ventilation
- Solar is f'd, was wired wrong, no chassis ground, batteries bad
- Need rear shocks
- Drivetrain is solid

Build Plan:

• Full custom fabricated roof rack to remount solar, with large roof deck
  • Repair solar, but maintain 200w and 200amp/hours
  • Purchased Briggs/Stratton 2300w inverter gen
  • Purchased rear window AC Frigidaire soft start
  • LOTS of LED lighting exterior for dark desert type regions
  • Full camera surround system for security
  • Queen mattress, full foam (replaced our full time bedroom with Nectar)
  • Turning bed sideways and lowering
  • Replaced rear doors that were sealed/foamed shut
  • Make interior brighter/more refined
  • Onboard solar shower 6.5 gal approx
  • Ebay awning
  • Custom paint but maintain relative "stealth"
  • Shore power option and proper AC/DC wiring and fusing

Current state of build (coming in Ep 2 this wk):

• Interior gutted in full
  • solar removed and stored
  • Test charged the batteries...they're shot
  • Using ladder bars for roof rack support and fab nearly complete
  • Rear doors replaced
  • more
We will be living in it part time for several months until new residence is ready.

Bear in NM

Adventurer
Looks like a project. I'll follow along. I have a "new" 2004 standard length Quigley that is my new project, same color as yours.

What your PO's did with all that foam looks criminal. And sealing the back doors, wow. That was a mess. Thankfully the extent of my demo was removing the complete metal contractor system from the back of mine. You can let Lace know that I am all on-board with her idea of a light and airy build out. I am doing the same with mine. I would rather cook and store things in removable tubs, outside, and have an inside that does not feel like hanging out in a broom closet.

I too re-purposed the contractor bars on top of mine with solar, and a roof rack. I do not have your metal skills and equipment, so metal work is challenging for me.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Craig

eporter

Adventurer
Nice work freeing up those back doors. I like the contractor rack safari rack build. I had a pair of those as a roof rack on my land cruiser for years. beefy.

And yeah, spray foam should only be available to people who pass a basic knowledge test... I'm dealing with removing it from my RV project where the guy just sprayed it everywhere and bulged interior paneling off the walls. Doesn't matter as much since I'm removing it anyways, but still...

RC000E

Well, the build is coming right along guys. Got the roof deck done, mounted TONS of light (well...maybe not by some standards, but...this baby gonna shine bright like a diamond...lol)

Ep3 is up, check it out! Put some effort in the edit to keep it entertaining...hope you enjoy! Roof deck turned out awesome! AC and interior coming! Weekly uploads (or as close to it as I can muster). We go 3/4 time living in it Aug 31 on the DOT. Full cross country relocation happening in Aug as well. Gonna be a tough month.

Last edited:

RC000E

Nice work freeing up those back doors. I like the contractor rack safari rack build. I had a pair of those as a roof rack on my land cruiser for years. beefy.

And yeah, spray foam should only be available to people who pass a basic knowledge test... I'm dealing with removing it from my RV project where the guy just sprayed it everywhere and bulged interior paneling off the walls. Doesn't matter as much since I'm removing it anyways, but still...

In Ep4, the foam will be yet more of a problem...lol. They sprayed it so freely, it filled in through the back of the taillights. Removed the screws from the outside and light is just in like concrete. Ridiculous. Glad to have the foam, and it definitely makes a big temp difference in the van, but it's presented some problems for sure.

RC000E

I'm wondering how they put all that foam in without bulging the van walls??????

I didn't even think of that part...lol. Yeah, it really got into every dead space imaginable...even the taillights as I discovered.

This should be interesting......

Anxious to see how you build it out!

Going to do my best. I may have to do the interior in a split phase due to the fact we have to relocate 2200 miles this month. Going to get us to a state of livability but may redesign to more modular/thought out later. We'll see. I'm doing the best I can but I essentially have 2 weeks left for any major construction that involves my shop space. I roll out in a Penske and a trailer with my Z06 on the 16th. Anything left from that point has to be basic, requiring little tooling...wiring, touch ups, etc. I won't be able to do anything further until we get out to Nevada. So...we'll see. I'm tryin.

Looks like a project. I'll follow along. I have a "new" 2004 standard length Quigley that is my new project, same color as yours.

What your PO's did with all that foam looks criminal. And sealing the back doors, wow. That was a mess. Thankfully the extent of my demo was removing the complete metal contractor system from the back of mine. You can let Lace know that I am all on-board with her idea of a light and airy build out. I am doing the same with mine. I would rather cook and store things in removable tubs, outside, and have an inside that does not feel like hanging out in a broom closet.

I too re-purposed the contractor bars on top of mine with solar, and a roof rack. I do not have your metal skills and equipment, so metal work is challenging for me.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Craig

You got that Quigley! I may take that step, not sure yet. I want it, but I feel like I want to push the 2wd with some tires, etc. I'm a bit of a soft roader vs an off roader so...dirt roads, gravel, etc. Figure a good winch, some various tooling I may get by. We'll see. Lace definitely likes her beachy feel...lol. I agree on being outside though...van is pretty tight but...desert heat gonna be tough for a minute I imagine...hope our AC is up to the task.

Arctic Travelller

Adventurer
I'm looking forward to hearing how your A/C works out. I've done two installs like yours, and in each the unit died within a month or two, due no doubt to vibration killing something in the unit. The fans run as do the compressors, but no cold air. Hopefully, you will have better luck.

RC000E

I'm looking forward to hearing how your A/C works out. I've done two installs like yours, and in each the unit died within a month or two, due no doubt to vibration killing something in the unit. The fans run as do the compressors, but no cold air. Hopefully, you will have better luck.

That wasn't actually how I'm mounting it, but more of a temporary "stick it in the window and make it run type of thing". Will be in that location, but not mounted that way. I anticipated that issue, same as with the mini-splits that fail on skoolie conversions (what I was building prior). I am using vibration isolation gel pad and the unit will "float".

Reactions: WVI

RC000E

We are definitely in crunch time here. Have about 8 days until I need to pack my entire shop and move 2200 miles. I have to start the interior and power systems next. I have a rough layout of the power configuration. I'll be putting all this in the next video.

WiringDiagramVan.jpg

Reactions: WVI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles