2001 3.0L Sport. found a new engine leak! Help ID seal?

redraif

The uphill battle begins
So here I go saying I want to switch to synthetic cause my seals are good.... it's like the Sport heard me and said "HA that's what you think!"

So I sprayed the oil pan with brake cleaner to get rid of some old residual gunk last weekend and checked it this weekend while we were dropping off my grandson... ugh I have a leak. I assumed it was the differential leaking, but it seems like it traveled there from above....

I can't see the leak from above... but it's on the driver side, front of the motor above the oil filter & AC compressor (bottom accessory on that lower corner of the motor)... 3.0L motor... Ok here is a pic. any idea what seal is blown?

Nose is to the Left in the pic ...driver side at top.

tmp_21677-20150315_1617141639490895.jpg

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Hey Red,
That looks like it may may be coming from the oil filter adapter. There is a triangular mating connection to the lower right of the harmonic balancer. If you haven't done a new timing belt, you may want to consider doing all of that at the same time.

montypower

Adventure Time!
You really need to clean everything and monitor it. After 200k miles it could be accumulation from any number of sources...

redraif

The uphill battle begins
That's the current plan. I want to get under there and scrub all the gunk and see if I can see where it starts versus all the mess and slinging

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior