2002 NPS300 Repower

dan85

Observer
Hello,

We have been driving our NPS around for about 6 months and we are pretty happy with it. Some adjustable shocks and it rides ok and doesn't use alot of fuel which surprised me. the one thing we are worried about is the power (or lack of) we intend to build a reasonably robust trailer to tow behind with our bikes and a few bits and pieces. Has anyone done an engine conversion of an NPS? It currently has the sitec115 non turbo 4.6L and i was wondering if the sitec 140 would be a reasonably easy conversion? failing that has anyone put a turbo onto the sitec 115 with ok results? We arent looking to win any races but a bump in power would make a difference when loaded up and towing. Its ok now but once we build the camper and start towing i think it will go from ok to painfully slow. thanks in advance.

Spoony

Keen to hear thoughts on this one. Looking at a 300 with the same engine and camper on it (will be modding), power certainly seems lacking. I think there is a factory turbo option of the same engine, maybe only certain countries? Wikipedia lists it, marginal more power and torque, but boost, fuel and cooler could fix that.

dan85

Observer
Keen to hear thoughts on this one. Looking at a 300 with the same engine and camper on it (will be modding), power certainly seems lacking. I think there is a factory turbo option of the same engine, maybe only certain countries? Wikipedia lists it, marginal more power and torque, but boost, fuel and cooler could fix that.
Spoony the NPR has a turbo version of the 4HG1. its 4kw and about 30nm more. the sitec 140 at least is 18kw and about 70nm in stock form which i think would be near enough too keep a bit of speed uphill

Spoony

Yes certainly a bigger improvement but would it not be able to achieve with the 4HG1 Turbo (or turboed) with a tune/remap, fuel and some boost, intercooler added? Easier than an engine swap?
If non turbo I'm not sure what gains are had with any remap/tune, my knowledge of engine performance and mods are more limited to petrol and LPG based experiences.

dan85

Observer
Yes certainly a bigger improvement but would it not be able to achieve with the 4HG1 Turbo (or turboed) with a tune/remap, fuel and some boost, intercooler added? Easier than an engine swap?
If non turbo I'm not sure what gains are had with any remap/tune, my knowledge of engine performance and mods are more limited to petrol and LPG based experiences.
I dont think these are computer controlled. but more boost more fuel pressure and a good cooler will certainly help. the 4hg1-T is certainly a consideration as is putting a turbo on mine. just keeping my options open at this point.

dan85

Observer
Hi sorry to drag this back up but hoping someone might have an idea about whether a sitec 140 from a 2003+nps will fit my 2002 NPS or even if anyone has experience working with the 4hg1 and turboing it? I have done a little more looking and it seems like the 2003+nps uses the same frame and axles as mine so should be a reasonably simple conversion?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste