2002 Sequoia Limited 4WD

Sal R.

TL;DR LC100 rear shocks are also short for use on the Sequoia.

So I've addressed the FJ Cruiser 5100s are not a good shock for Sequoia.

What about Land Cruiser 100-series shocks?

Well...

Dobinson coil length: 16.7"
Dobinson installed coil length: 11"

Bilstein 5100 extended 23.5"
Bilstein 5100 installed: 21.375"

OME 60002/60003 extended: 24.09"
OME 60002/60003 installed: 21.375"

You're better off than 5100s, but not by much. At least, you have some usable travel than 5100s. Because the spring potential travel is +5.7" and the shock travel is 2.715", you'll max out the OME shock before you max out the spring.

So for you OME 286x users with >2" of lift, your near or at fully extended all the time while parked.

A viable option are LC80 series shocks, but may still limit articulation for taller springs like 2860, 2861, 2863, &2863J.

OME 60020L/600071L extended: 26.5"

Confirmed that LC80 shocks are also a stem and eye fitment.

However, these are valved for LC80 springs with rates 250-320 lbf/in, whereas LC100 shocks are valved for 220-300 lbf/in.

So, LC80-series shocks is a better fit, but will be a stiffer ride.

Additionally, a Nissan Patrol Y60, Y61 shock might also work, but it would seem that it's and eye to eye fitment. As a result, an adaptor would be needed.

OME 60015L extended: 28.19"

However, these shocks are valved for springs rated 290-470 lbf/in. So they're even stiffer than LC80 OME shocks.

Last edited:

jarrodreno

Yep. The day I installed the 2862 and 5100 shocks and went over a speed bump I knew something was wrong. The shocks knock hard at full extension (over a mellow speed bump), its horrible. I'm stoked to hear what shocks you end up going with.

Last edited:

Sal R.

Yep. The day I installed the 2862 and 5100 shocks and went over a speed bump I knew something was wrong. The shocks knock hard at full extension (over a mellow speed bump), its horrible. I'm stoked to hear what shocks you end up going with.

I ordered some lightly valved 5125s, which are universal application 5100s, and hope it arrives by the end of the week.

The waiting is making me anxious...

Onegen

Wow, thank you for the documentation and presenting everything in a clean way. I'm impressed and motivated to follow your lead.

lukaskupasz

I get to take the 2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited out for a test drive video on the way to work one day. Since I've never given a full tour or anything aside from short update videos and what not, I thought it would be fun to make this video. This thing has an awesome sounding engine, 4.7L iforce V8,

Last edited:

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Correct shock length sure does make a difference!

When we purchased my daughters 93 Dodge W250 4WD Cummins "Extended" Cab PU it rode like schidtt. A quick check of the rear shock number showed that the previous owner who had installed "New" shocks purchased the wrong shocks for a 2WD truck instead of the correct 4WD truck shocks.

The rear 2WD shock application is 5 inches shorter than the correct 4WD shock at full extension! The 2WD shock was at FULL extension when installed with the truck sitting. Basically NO rebound travel in the shock and maybe 1 inch of shock compression travel when you hit a bump due to the already stiff suspension. It was the rebound with the rear shocks immediately hitting full shock extension that would bounce your head right into the top of the cab!

Easy fix with correct length/application shock replacement and the truck rides, drives and handles MUCH better!

Sal R.

Wow, thank you for the documentation and presenting everything in a clean way. I'm impressed and motivated to follow your lead.

No problemo and thank you for the kind words.

Correct shock length sure does make a difference!

When we purchased my daughters 93 Dodge W250 4WD Cummins "Extended" Cab PU it rode like schidtt. A quick check of the rear shock number showed that the previous owner who had installed "New" shocks purchased the wrong shocks for a 2WD truck instead of the correct 4WD truck shocks.

The rear 2WD shock application is 5 inches shorter than the correct 4WD shock at full extension! The 2WD shock was at FULL extension when installed with the truck sitting. Basically NO rebound travel in the shock and maybe 1 inch of shock compression travel when you hit a bump due to the already stiff suspension. It was the rebound with the rear shocks immediately hitting full shock extension that would bounce your head right into the top of the cab!

Easy fix with correct length/application shock replacement and the truck rides, drives and handles MUCH better!

Glad that worked out easy.

It's been a real chore on the Sequoia since no one offers a specific application. We, as a community, have had to borrow parts or just flat out make our own.

Once I've verified my findings, this should make it easy for fellows to get the right shocks for their application.

Sal R.

Hey!! That's my orange 1st gen 4Runner in that pic!! DIRTCO is a really good friend of mine and that pic was taken in Moab 4 years ago.

I know!

I've followed both of you guys on T4R for years. Dirtco was the one that actually inspired me to cut into the Sequoia to make it what it is today.

The window coverings look...familiar, don't they? ?

So, I was pleasantly surprised when you picked up Scotty's Sequoia and see what you'd do with it and where you'd go.

Volcom

I know!

I've followed both of you guys on T4R for years. Dirtco was the one that actually inspired me to cut into the Sequoia to make it what it is today.

The window coverings look...familiar, don't they? ?

So, I was pleasantly surprised when you picked up Scotty's Sequoia and see what you'd do with it and where you'd go.

Hahahaha gotcha! His 3rd Gen 4Runner is probably one of the most thought out 4Runner's I've ever seen. You've got one hell of a build thread going, good job on the detail of each of your modifications. Every easy to read and understand.

Yup, the window coverings did look familiar. I've enjoyed the Sequoia so far but it's been more of a family hauler vs wheeling rig. It will probably stay that way for a while since I've got my 4Runner and just started building a Jesse Haines Fabrication 2 seater buggy.

Sal R.

Hahahaha gotcha! His 3rd Gen 4Runner is probably one of the most thought out 4Runner's I've ever seen. You've got one hell of a build thread going, good job on the detail of each of your modifications. Every easy to read and understand.

Yup, the window coverings did look familiar. I've enjoyed the Sequoia so far but it's been more of a family hauler vs wheeling rig. It will probably stay that way for a while since I've got my 4Runner and just started building a Jesse Haines Fabrication 2 seater buggy.

Thank you for the kind words.

His SAS has got my brain spun up, but I'm not there yet...?

She's definitely built to take me and my family places. She's no crawler, but I'll do what I can to make sure can crawl over rocks and back when needed.

Sal R.

Mam 2004 Toyota 2qued V8 Toyota Sequoia. To mój pierwszy samochód. Bez wypadków (pukanie do drewna)! Mam 51.300 mil na kopalni. Muszę powiedzieć, mam nadzieję, że to wszystko będzie trwać wiecznie, bo będę jeździł, dopóki nie będzie w stanie uciec. Tak bardzo to kocham. Nie lubię prowadzić niczego innego. Kiedy wyprowadzam się i kiedy muszę kupić nowy samochód, z pewnością będzie to Toyota. Jeśli się o to zatroszczysz, będzie działać wiecznie!

Take care of the car and it will take care of you.

?

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Glad that worked out easy. It's been a real chore on the Sequoia since no one offers a specific application. We, as a community, have had to borrow parts or just flat out make our own.

Once I've verified my findings, this should make it easy for fellows to get the right shocks for their application.

In the past I have "made" different shocks fit different applications when I found the length shock I needed. In most instances all that was involved was changing the mounting ends. Cut em off and re-weld on the correct ends. This was mostly for GM restorations and making, fitting, cutting, rigging vintage NOS GM "Spiral" shocks I had laying around fit the needed application.

I have also found that many of the shock manufacturers do list the length of their shocks collapsed and extended in their tech information along with pictures showing the end mounting configurations. The difficult part is determining the factory valving in the shock itself. That's where looking at similar applications (off-road vehicles) can help a little however it is still a crap shoot.

I guess that's why race teams can spend $5K on a single shock with a dedicated shock engineer and shock abosorber dyno at their disposal.

The shock can be more important than the spring!

Blackradon

Just read through the whole thread, Great job sir! I’m just doing some research and seeing if the Sequoia will be a good choice for a little family vehicle.

Really enjoyed the detail you provided with all the projects! If you don’t mind me asking, what do you do for a living? You of course don’t have to ask if you don’t want lol. Keep up the great work either way!

Sal R.

In the past I have "made" different shocks fit different applications when I found the length shock I needed. In most instances all that was involved was changing the mounting ends. Cut em off and re-weld on the correct ends. This was mostly for GM restorations and making, fitting, cutting, rigging vintage NOS GM "Spiral" shocks I had laying around fit the needed application.

I have also found that many of the shock manufacturers do list the length of their shocks collapsed and extended in their tech information along with pictures showing the end mounting configurations. The difficult part is determining the factory valving in the shock itself. That's where looking at similar applications (off-road vehicles) can help a little however it is still a crap shoot.

I guess that's why race teams can spend $5K on a single shock with a dedicated shock engineer and shock abosorber dyno at their disposal.

The shock can be more important than the spring!

Pretty much where I'm at.

Taking measurements and testing to see if I can find an off-the-shelf solution or go custom.

Just read through the whole thread, Great job sir! I’m just doing some research and seeing if the Sequoia will be a good choice for a little family vehicle.

Really enjoyed the detail you provided with all the projects! If you don’t mind me asking, what do you do for a living? You of course don’t have to ask if you don’t want lol. Keep up the great work either way!

Thanks! The Sequoia has been solid. When I was looking, T4Rs were too small and LCs were underpowered and/or expensive for what they were, IMO.

It has gotten my family and I wherever I needed to go, on and off the road.

Engineer by profession, but not professional engineer.

?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles