2002 Tacoma with Wildernest

erod

Adventurer
Hello everyone, I am brand new to the forum but have spent a lot of time seearching previous threads while building my 2002 Taco. So I am finally getting to starting a thread and hopefully getting some pictures up of my almost completed rig. I have exchanged emails with a few people from the forum (BajaTaco and daveindenver) and their advice has been VERY helpful. So I thought I would start by describing my rig, here it goes...

2002 Toyota Tacoma TRD
-3.4L V6, supercharged w/ header, 2.5 in exhaust and onboard computer (not yet sure how to work the computer, its in the glove box and was installed before I bought the truck)
-Fabtech coilovers front and fabtech shock w/ OME 7 leaf springs in rear
-ARB bumber
-Toyo all terrain tires, American Racing Mojave wheels
-Wildernest Topper w/ home made platform and drawers

Future additions
-New Tires...any input?
-Air bags

Everything else is relatively stock as far as electronics go etc. I am really happy with how things are turning out so far and would like to post some trip threads and recieve any input from other members that are available. Right now I am considering heat in the nest', additional waterproofing (thanks for the input daveindenver), organizational ideas, etc. Also I am looking any accessories for the Wildernest, anyone have the kitchen organizer or attic, I noticed some people have Wildernest but the tents are out of commision, if so i would be interested in buying these items or any other hardware available. So not a very exciting first thread but i have to start somewhere. Maybe some pics will help, hope these work, sorry about the blurr but the light was pretty bad, more to come though. Cheers everyone and I look forward to more posts soon!

Last edited:

seth_js

Explorer
Sweet rig man. My only recommendation would be to ditch the rear Fabtechs for some Bilstein or DR's (or if you have the money SAW or Fox).

What is the payload on those OME's?

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Brian, I'm glad you made it to ExPo. Welcome :beer:

The truck is looking great with the new wheels and the 'nest. Nice job ;)

We look forward to seeing some trips and pics.

erod

Adventurer
Hey everyone, thanks for the input. Seth, to be honest I don't know the payload of the spring packs. They are 7 leaf packs vs. the stock 4 (I think). I thought about some other leaf springs but in the end went with the OME because of price and recomendation from local 4 wheelers. I also sold my old ones so that helped a bit. I ended up getting the truck sitting where I wanted it with no load, then decided to eventually go with air bags to compensate for any sagging when loaded. The OME springs actually hold up really well and I don't think they are as stiff when unloaded as other outfits with more leafs. Seth, I am also curious, why you don't like the fabtechs in the rear?...for right now I am paying things off as is but I would consider new shocks in the rear in the future. So far the Wildernest is awesome. We slept in it the other night on Ennis Lake, MT and got over an inch of rain overnight with minimal leakage. There were a few areas of concern but we stayed high and dry throughout one of the bigger rains we have had in a while. Has anyone had any experience with the Coleman Blackcat or these Zodi tent heaters? I would like to figure out a way to reduce condensation and dry gear on wet/cold days. Anyway, thanks again for the reply, I have a feeling I will be spending a lot of time on this site. Here's one more pic! Cheers!

Scott Brady

Founder
Great to have you here!

For tires, I think the 265/75 gives some of the best overall performance and economy. A good size for a Tacoma.

seth_js

Explorer
erod said:
Seth, I am also curious, why you don't like the fabtechs in the rear?...for right now I am paying things off as is but I would consider new shocks in the rear in the future.

I ran the same shocks for about a year before switching to some Bilsteins. I noticed a big improvement in ride quality after upgrading. I'm not sure what the valving is on those Fabtechs, but they were extremely stiff and didn't seem to provide much damping.

erod

Adventurer
Thanks seth, thats good info. As for the wildernest (The Swiss), they went out of business @ 1995. They are relatively hard to find, at least in good shape. There is some really good info on this forum about them if you are interested. Search wildernest...

erod

Adventurer
One other thing, Scott, thanks for the recommendation on tire size. What about manufacturer? I have always like BFG AT but recently heard Michelin is the new manufacturer and quality has gone down. Anyone heard about this? I do most of my driving on the road so I want some thing that will last and handle off road excusions when the occur. I also like an aggressive look but performance is my biggest concern. Thanks all!

VikingVince

Explorer
Welcome to the forum...I look forward to seeing your Wildernest setup someday...I'm the Flippac guy!...we'll have to compare...looks like you have one of the remaining Wildernests still in good shape! I love Montana...been in Bozeman a couple times.
Happy Trails!

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
erod said:
One other thing, Scott, thanks for the recommendation on tire size. What about manufacturer? I have always like BFG AT but recently heard Michelin is the new manufacturer and quality has gone down. Anyone heard about this? I do most of my driving on the road so I want some thing that will last and handle off road excusions when the occur. I also like an aggressive look but performance is my biggest concern. Thanks all!
Michelin is the parent company of BFGoodrich, but I have not heard anything about the quality going down. Michelin actually has an excellent reputation as a manufacturer for good tires with excellent threadlife.

I have owned 3 sets of BFG AT and 4 sets of BFG MT over the last 15 or so years. Managed to put about 45 kmls on the MT and never managed to wear the ATs out. The ATs I had on my Grand Cherokee had 70 kmls when I sold it and still looked as if they easily could do an other 20 kmls. Great tire. Only tiny complaint: Compared to the BFG MT, I had the impression they lost the bead easier when aired down.

When the BF Goodrige Rugged Terrain my Tacoma came with will wear out, I will for sure replace them with some 265/75-16 BF Goodrich ATs.

erod

Adventurer
Thanks for the info Michael. I too have had BFG AT's on a couple vehicles and have them on an 86' 4 runner right now and have never had an issue. They also are great in the snow from my experience and thats a big deciding point this time of year. I appreciate the reply. Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier