2003 WJ - A OverOffLanding Hybrid

willypete

Looks Fun makes me remember wheeling my first jeep when I was 16.

On the tires if you can make it work save up and buy a budget boost or 2" springs, you can run the stock shocks for a while with that combo then replace them when you get the cash. Put 245 75 16 tires on it In my opinion that is the perfect set up for a WJ your spare will fit in the tire well, and it does not cost much to do. You will learn a lot more about driving your rig in all conditions with this or a stock set up than learning to wheel with a big lift and tires.

I have several times regretted buying new smaller/stock size tires when I could have done the small lift and slightly larger tires and been done till I get the next rig.

That said maintenance comes before mods so first put your money into that, then camping gear and trips with your friends, then mods. You can go a lot of places in a basically stock Jeep.

Have fun!

Last edited:

Dr.Grand

Learning as I go
Been way too long since I updated this thread! In the few months that I have been gone, I have done some mods to my Grand. This includes: Iron Rock Offroad 3 inch lift, Doestech 8000 shocks, Uniden CB, 245/70r16 Falken Rock Mountain ATs, Dana 44 rear end swap with posi, and Flowmaster 40. This friday, I am going on my very first overlanding trip. We are exploring 20 miles of north Georgia and I can not wait. I will be sure to post pics of the trip, but until then here is a current picture of mine:
Photo05111809.jpg

Dr.Grand

Learning as I go
Well I got a bit of an update for the navigational side of things. I got a Garmin GPS system. This little thing is cool! I mounted it right next to the gauge cluster for easy viewing. I like the fact that you can plug in points to it and it also has an 'offroad' mode that gives you literally a strait line to destination B that you have to follow. That could be some fun! I will post some pictures when I can get my camera working again.

JChatary

Outdoor Daydreamer
Nice WJ...looking forward to seeing the progress on your rig! You'll find some very sound advice around these parts (as well as enough pictures of mods you'll want to do to your rig that will completely drain your bank account and the accounts of those you love!)

Welcome! :beer:

Dr.Grand

Learning as I go
6.5 lift coils, solid front long arms, adjustable rear long arms,JKS adjustable track bar, slip yoke eliminator, front drive shaft conversion (got rid of the CV shaft for a knuckle shaft), RCV front axle shafts, Solid Industries front diff cover, Yukon front Air Locker, rear Dana 60 swap, tereflex t-lock electric locker, chromoly axle shafts, 35x12.50x17 BFG Mud Terrain KM2s, 17x8.5 MB TKO rims, 1.5 inch wheel spacers, custom front bumper, rugged ridge winch, TAG rear tire carrier bumper, high lift jack, unibody frame stiffeners, custom rock sliders, custom tube fenders, de-chromed, blacked out, 8000k Hi/Lo beam HIDs, spyder electric LED rear tail lights, straight piped, K&N drop in, CB radio, and aftermarket head unit, full camo interior

t4rFL

Adventurer
NICE! the front bumper, did you build it or had someone do it for you and if so how much did you pay do get it done?

Dr.Grand

Learning as I go
I need to update this build more :oops:

Since I last posted the WJ (now dubbed 'Jebidiah' because its always in the mountains) has taken some MAJOR changes. I will list them in order of completion:
- Yukon ZIP D30 Air Locker
- ARB Air Compressor
- ECGS Dana 60 Rear
- Tereflex T-Lock
- RCV D30 Axle Shafts
- 4340 Chromo Rear Shafts
- Spyder Electric LED Tail Lights
- TAG Rear Multi-Carrier Bumper
- K&N FPIK (lots of controversy over this mod)
- Custom Front Radius Arms
- Custom Rear 4 Link
- Tube Fenders
- Rock Sliders Tied Into Tube Fenders and Unibody Stiffeners
- 4 Lifetime LED Light Pods
- 35x12.50 Goodyear Wrangler MTR Kevlar
- Protuning Lab HALO Bi-Xenon Projector Headlights w/ 8k Bulbs
- Firestick 2
- New Garmin
- Pioneer Head Unit w/ Bluetooth
- Rancho 9000xs Adjustable Shocks
- JKS Bar Pin Eliminator
- JKS Shock Conversion Kit
- 2 Inch Front Spacers (Now Sits Level)
- Superchips Flaspaq
- One Ton Steering w/ Tie Rod Flip

bdp1978

Adventurer
Man, just read through your thread. As much as I love seeing build threads that progress slowly in detail....builds like this always give me a chuckle.

Bone stock vehicle...owner starts wheeling and has limited funds for improvements etc and then disappears off the boards for awhile. .....then all of a sudden .....BAM!!!!! They show back up with crazy mods and a bada$$ rig. Love it. Nice Heep!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior