2004 8.1 Yukon

RedF

Adventurer
Got the new shocks on friday, installed them a couple of days ago and disabled the autoride computer, so no more "service autoride" message on the instrument cluster. The ride is a bit better too, I wasn't expecting miracles for a 3/4 ton.

19.89L/100km or 11.8 mpg (US) on the last fill. Another 400+ km tomorrow. I'm impressed with the range of this thing compared to my Silverado.

Driving thru the mountains, it just doesn't downshift! It'll chug up any hill without losing speed. This is the most seat time I've had in one go with it.

It needs the back rotors turned or replaced, there's some shudder when braking, especially at hwy speed.

The headlights are pretty good, especially with the 4 hi mod, but it could still use a little more. I think I'll look for some better bulbs. I have a couple ideas for driving lamps, but we'll see...

Nice Yukon! This is very close to the '04 2500 Suburban I picked up in Edmonton area in August. Mine is the 6.0L with 130KM on it now.

Enjoying this discussion, as you asked some of the things I was thinking.

What issues have you encountered/what info were you looking for? I may be able to elaborate further, depending on the topic.

rayra

Expedition Leader
This a different animal than the 1500 youre used to. His yukon is a 2004 2500 with the 8.1ltr. Being a 2004 2500 it has the upgraded 4l85e transmission. The 4l85e is a 5 planetary trans rated for vehicles up to 16,000lbs. It doesnt have the vulnerabilities that a 4l60e has. Plus the 2500 suburban already comes with a much larger tranny cooler than the 1500. The 2500 8.1 burbs and yukons are specially built to tow with heavier frames, better brakes, bigger radiators, oil and tranny cooling, and Full Float rear axles. The 8.1s have a tow rating of over 10,000lbs. These arent designed like mommy's 1500 to take the team to soccer practice. Theyre made for dad to take the football team to the game and haul the equipment AND band trailer behind it.

And for the record the 8.1ltr is nothing like the 5.3 or the 6.0 for that matter. They arent really an LS motor. Its more of a redesigned stroked 7.4 with better heads and different intake and coil system. 300k miles is not uncommon with the 8.1s just keep checking the oil they tend to use a bit.

Well that was certainly unnecessarily abrasive and insulting and condescending as hell.

lilkia

This a different animal than the 1500 youre used to. His yukon is a 2004 2500 with the 8.1ltr. Being a 2004 2500 it has the upgraded 4l85e transmission. The 4l85e is a 5 planetary trans rated for vehicles up to 16,000lbs. It doesnt have the vulnerabilities that a 4l60e has. Plus the 2500 suburban already comes with a much larger tranny cooler than the 1500. The 2500 8.1 burbs and yukons are specially built to tow with heavier frames, better brakes, bigger radiators, oil and tranny cooling, and Full Float rear axles. The 8.1s have a tow rating of over 10,000lbs. These arent designed like mommy's 1500 to take the team to soccer practice. Theyre made for dad to take the football team to the game and haul the equipment AND band trailer behind it.

And for the record the 8.1ltr is nothing like the 5.3 or the 6.0 for that matter. They arent really an LS motor. Its more of a redesigned stroked 7.4 with better heads and different intake and coil system. 300k miles is not uncommon with the 8.1s just keep checking the oil they tend to use a bit.
Well that was certainly unnecessarily abrasive and insulting and condescending as hell.

You found that "abrasive, insulting, and condescending"? Really? Are you a nun or a kindergarten teacher? What part of that was abrasive or insulting? It may have been a little condescending, but cheese and rice its called humor. Everything but two sentences was factual details. I take back my first two guesses, you must be a diversity counselor at a liberal progressive CA community college. Now that was insulting.

Last edited:

lilkia

Red 13.87mpgs is great for the 8.1. I average 10ish around town unloaded but I tend to play with the skinny pedal. I get right around 13 on long highway trips.

Fierokid

13 is a dream, my best unloaded was 11. Cruise at 70 on the freeway for about 60 miles or so just as a test.. my typical average unloaded is 9-10.

RedF

Adventurer
A couple more tanks of fuel resulted in 19.64L/100km (11.9 MPG US) and 17.74L/100km (13.26 MPG). The final numbers were 1868 km (1160 miles) consumed 340 liters of fuel (90 US gallons) for a final average of 18.2L/100km (12.9 MPG US). I'm still pretty happy considering a significant portion of this was 75 mph thru the mountains.

The tires could stand to be balanced, and the rotors are worse than I thought. Is there a way to know if the rear rotors are 4.63" bore, or 4.83 bore without taking it apart?

lilkia

I tried to get your 13mpgs but failed. 2100 miles across 2/3rds of the country through the mtns and over the river with a 9300lb trailer. I averaged 10.4 miles to the gallon. I cruised at 70mph at 1900ish rpms with more than enough power left to pass anything I wanted on the highway. I think the only time it downshifted was on one long ass uphill in TN. I do love my 8.1. I wouldnt ever go back to a 6.0 or even a 6.2.

fl0w3n

Observer
Sorry if this is hi-jacking but there’s been a lot of carpet talk in this thread...

I just pulled the rear carpet mostly out to do my fuel pump on my 6.0 Burb, and the pad had some mildew spots stuck to the floor boards.

After spending almost $600 on the main and rear fuel sender, I don’t feel like spending another $300 on carpet.

any suggestions from experience on cleaning the foam pads? I was planning on fully removing the carpets and pressure washing them, but obviously can’t do that to the foam padding.

ajmaudio

Adventurer
Is it foam or the normal "jute" stuff? The jute I always find when I do this kind of work is VERY cheap... I've always just replaced it. Also, are you sure its mildew? They doe sometimes put spots of glue down to hold the padding in place.

fl0w3n

Observer
Is it foam or the normal "jute" stuff? The jute I always find when I do this kind of work is VERY cheap... I've always just replaced it. Also, are you sure its mildew? They doe sometimes put spots of glue down to hold the padding in place.

it doesn’t look like jute to me, its multicolored Fluffy stuff all stuck together.When you say jute, I picture landscape like jute.

I’m pretty sure it was mildew.

I didn’t see any padding or jute replacements on Rockauto, just full carpet kit with the padding already glued onto it.

ajmaudio

Adventurer
Maybe post a pic...multicolor sounds like what I'm talking about... like multicolor fabric-ish stuff. Either way the padding can be purchased very reasonably and is easy to cut and install. Just comes on rolls from any upholstery shop and all the usual mail order places.

mekcanix

Camper
A couple more tanks of fuel resulted in 19.64L/100km (11.9 MPG US) and 17.74L/100km (13.26 MPG). The final numbers were 1868 km (1160 miles) consumed 340 liters of fuel (90 US gallons) for a final average of 18.2L/100km (12.9 MPG US). I'm still pretty happy considering a significant portion of this was 75 mph thru the mountains.

The tires could stand to be balanced, and the rotors are worse than I thought. Is there a way to know if the rear rotors are 4.63" bore, or 4.83 bore without taking it apart?

Man I wish my 5.3 in my 09 Sierra gets 22.5l per 100km in the city and maybe if I am lucky on the hiway I will get 16l per 100km
I guess I just need a much bigger motor lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles