2004 Chevy Astro AWD "Astrid"

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
I like your bed set up and had some questions. What supports the end of the bed when it is flat and what secures the bed in the couch position? Did you make the mattress? I see the bed is 200cm long, how wide is it? I have been trying to find video of a similar bed showing the build, but haven't had any luck. Did you design it yourself or follow someone else's directions?
It is a very simple setup as we don't have any experience in building anything, but it works.

What supports the end of the bed when it is flat and what secures the bed in the couch position?

It is supported by legs that are attached to the last piece of bed/couch (red arrows) and secured in place when in couch position by piece of plywood that has been carpeted (green arrows). There are probably better ways to secure it, especially if you can make bed frame from metal, but this is simple and it works.

PmZt0Fi.png

Did you make the mattress?

We bought queen size mattress from foam by mail, cut it up and my wife made covers for it.

I see the bed is 200cm long, how wide is it?

About 50-51 inches wide. So the bed is about 80 inches x 50 inches.

Did you design it yourself or follow someone else's directions?

We found couple ideas (much complicated and better built) and using cardboard figured out right approach/measurements for us, as it has to be certain length or it will be rubbing against windows etc.

shellbell

It is a very simple setup as we don't have any experience in building anything, but it works.

What supports the end of the bed when it is flat and what secures the bed in the couch position?

It is supported by legs that are attached to the last piece of bed/couch (red arrows) and secured in place when in couch position by piece of plywood that has been carpeted (green arrows). There are probably better ways to secure it, especially if you can make bed frame from metal, but this is simple and it works.

PmZt0Fi.png

Did you make the mattress?

We bought queen size mattress from foam by mail, cut it up and my wife made covers for it.

I see the bed is 200cm long, how wide is it?

About 50-51 inches wide. So the bed is about 80 inches x 50 inches.

Did you design it yourself or follow someone else's directions?

We found couple ideas (much complicated and better built) and using cardboard figured out right approach/measurements for us, as it has to be certain length or it will be rubbing against windows etc.
Thank you, I understand now. I didn't realize those legs were fixed to the bottom section of the bed, I thought they might slide out first then the bottom of the bed placed on top. So many of the designs I have seen have the pull out support legs, but your idea works well.
I just bought a safari and I'm not sure if I want to remove the plastic interior to make more room. It's a challenge to figure out how fit 2 people and a medium sized dog on the bed comfortably, and still have living space. I have no experience building anything either and I think I have seen the rock and roll bed, that is way beyond my skill level at this point! Your wife did I geat job on the mattress cover, thanks again for the clarification.

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
Thank you, I understand now. I didn't realize those legs were fixed to the bottom section of the bed, I thought they might slide out first then the bottom of the bed placed on top. So many of the designs I have seen have the pull out support legs, but your idea works well.
I just bought a safari and I'm not sure if I want to remove the plastic interior to make more room. It's a challenge to figure out how fit 2 people and a medium sized dog on the bed comfortably, and still have living space. I have no experience building anything either and I think I have seen the rock and roll bed, that is way beyond my skill level at this point! Your wife did I geat job on the mattress cover, thanks again for the clarification.
If you don't build cabinets, don't remove plastic and want just a comfortable bed + keep rear seat you can build something like this in a day.
http://www.hoen.ca/things_i_have_built/camperized_van/

It worked for us for 6 month non-stop trip, but it's not very "cool" and certainly has it's downsides.

Even setup we have can be implemented without plastic sides removed and cabinets on the side - will give you much wider bed. We have cabinets on the side because we wanted fridge that's about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne