2004 Grand Cherokee Overland

Ramblejam

Observer
Turning to the experts here; generally speaking, are these any good?
Reliable/Durable platform?

Appreciate the insight.

larrydallas

Search older posts and you'll find plenty of information. Also check out the WJ section on www.jeepforum.com. Depends on what you want to do with it. Durable for hard core wheeling? No. As reliable as a Toyota? No. That being said it is a pretty decent DD and fairly adept weekend expedition rig with minimal modifications needed. What exactly are you looking for in a vehicle?

Ramblejam

Observer
Thanks, Larry.

Sorry -- should have included that info in the original post. This one is stock, and it'd stay that way (other than whatever minimal mods are needed). Just general purpose travel and moderate off-road usage, nothing extreme.

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I had an '04 G.C. Overland, and loved it. :)

In about a year and a half I did the following:
* Ended up replacing one window regulator, and rebuilding the other 3 with an aluminum block kit.
* The transfer case was bound up when I first got it (took a fluid replacement, and some time doing figure 8s in a parking lot to fix that)
* Power Steering pump flow divider valve stuck, and had to be replaced (poor power steering)

None of the other issues, like folks have had with the 4.7 H.O., or the blend air door though.
I'd buy another in a heartbeat if in the market for that for an SUV. Surprisingly capable on the trail and in the snow.

A lot of good info here:
http://www.wjjeeps.com/jmenu.htm

and here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/

Hope this helps,

larrydallas

Thanks, Larry.

Sorry -- should have included that info in the original post. This one is stock, and it'd stay that way (other than whatever minimal mods are needed). Just general purpose travel and moderate off-road usage, nothing extreme.

I've found that I can go pretty much anywhere I want as long as I have the ground clearance. As capable as they are, in stock form these only have 29" tires. If you lift them 2 to 3 inches you can squeeze in 31" tires. Besides the limited tire size, I've found my 2001 has had ongoing maintenance issues. I am always replacing different sensors, window regulators, warped exhaust manifold, replaced the A/C condenser, then the radiator, etc. Some of that is due to age, but still these aren't Toyotas. As far as general maintenance they are a pain, but if you keep on schedule you can avoid most problems. On the plus side, you can pick them up pretty cheap these days.

Depending on where you want to go, besides a lfit and bigger tires you want to make sure you have skid plates (factory package is OK). the Overland comes with sliders - not exactly heavy duty but they will at least offer some protection.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Hi Larry,

There is a really cool kit which uses aluminum blocks to hold the cable ends. Once installed and adjusted correctly, that will be the end of your window regulator issues.
http://pocketlogger.com/?pid=jpw

And an older write up on installing it:
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?471153-WJ-How-to-install-of-new-cable-block-repair-for-window-regulator
I had one window fall, and replaced the regulator, which prompted me to do some searching on the web. Found the other three regulators were about to fail in the same way. Once the kit was installed in the other three regulators, and all four window rails adjusted correctly, no more worries. :)

VistaCruiser

Observer
Quadra-Drive and HO engine have worked WELL for me on the Limited! Reliable but expect to replace parts that have over 130K/Mi. I'm at 212K, about to rebuild engine because of typical head issue. Use the correct fluids in the T-Case, and axles, which seem to be the cause of a lot of peoples issues. Watch the overheating, as with any aluminum/iron engine (Zerex GL-05 coolant ONLY). Overland sliders are lacking, but can be beefed up/replaced. 245/70R17 ST Maxx delivers on and off road while still able to stuff a full size spare in the stock well. This size tire fits stock with a front bumper trim, but works tons better with 2" lift and Bilstein 5100's. Plenty of cargo room, big bodied girl on tight trails. Ride quality and driver comfort are fantastic compared to my XJ/ZJ.

Sam

xwazmtb

Lost and Found at the same time.
I run a 2002 Limited so it is a little different and lacks the 4.7HO I do have the quadradrive system with the normal 4.7 and I will say they are very good platforms for some people. I say that because they don't handle on road as well as a 4runner or other suv that has ifs. But on a trail the Wj is a great platform because of the solid front axle. The other issue you can run into is a lot of parts are rock crawling oriented opposed to overland oriented. Meaning finding heavy weight coils can be difficult and most off the shelf kits that are above 2" in height are more for rock crawling with the way the shocks and coils are set up. That being said, if you take the time and do the research and mix and match a couple kits together you can get a good set up for long distance travel while still riding well off road.
Things to look for is a v8 just because of the sketchy durability of a dana 35 that comes in the 4.0 modles, not that they are guaranteed to be bad but there is a chance. A common issue is the door harnesses getting broken. They are slightly to short from factory and can be diagnosed by the switches either don't work or only work when the door is shut. It is a very simple fix of splicing in half and inch if wire to the negative lead. On higher mileage models you can run into issue with the quadradrive LSD is worn out and needs to be rebuilt or replaced with a locker. With replacing it with a locker you do run into axle shaft issues because of the difference in size between a quadradrive differential pumpkin and a open diff. When adding a locker you need parts for an open diff.
uploadfromtaptalk1471542572067.jpg
I love my Wj. It replaced a 4th gen v8 4runner and they both are great but I prefer the better off-road performance and am willing to take the slightly worse on road handling as a down fall of it.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Couple of pictures to "wet your whistle"

This is my Buddies '04 Loredo. This has the 4.0l I-6, select trac with open center dif's front and rear.
We were both really impressed with it's ability off road, and in the snow. He is running the original Falken Wildpeak tires in a 265 16, with a budget boost.
He slept in the back with his dog on this weekend snow trip. At 6'2", with the seats fully forward he said it was comfortable to sleep in.
He use the Flatland4x4 plans to build the front and rear bumper. The rear bumper is almost done now, and has a pretty cool swing-out for the spare & a gas can that allows tailgate window access without opening.
He has about 230K miles, has replaced the radiator, fixed a short in the harness to one of the front O2 sensors, and done standard maintenance.

Obviously I'm biased, and had a great experience with mine, but overall it is a good choice. Just be careful to pick a good one.

Picture one is at the top of a steep climb.
Picture two is at a lunch break
Picture three is at the campsite dropped to about 25*F overnight. :)

Attachments

• WJ-on-Little-Deer-Lake-Trai.jpg
    WJ-on-Little-Deer-Lake-Trai.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Lunch-at-Summit-Lake.jpg
    Lunch-at-Summit-Lake.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Campsite-15-Sunday-Morning.jpg
    Campsite-15-Sunday-Morning.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

jwp2121

Observer
I have an '04 Laredo as well with the 4.0 and select trac. I put a simple 3" lift on with Bilsteins and 33's. I love the Jeep and it is really comfortable inside even for my family of four on road trips. I daily drive it and wheel it whenever possible. Much better for my needs now then my 04 Wrangler.

Attachments

• mtn5.jpg
    mtn5.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 16
  • mtn1.jpg
    mtn1.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 15

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior