2004 Mercedes-Benz Unimog U500 Doka (conversion)

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
$369,000

Previously sold for $195,000 last year in June on Bring A Trailer

b1c6a68b4c8801c687b739f56031c6029786f4ac72d4bd9e1f45f5679d7a.jpg3b393027729934815ba25f4b067446e87cb522d8f6472d70bc9d2921eff5.jpg

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I don't know how I missed that thread with the super descriptive thread title of US market unimog for sale. :rolleyes:

The next liquor store robbery I pull, I sure want that OP giving my description to the coppers. "Human with 4 appendages".

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
$369,000
Previously sold for $195,000 last year in June on Bring A Trailer

This reminds me about an idea I’ve had for a while after seeing so many ridiculously high priced “adventure“ rigs for sale.

While we’re not supposed to post comments about stupid high pricing on the for sale threads by our members, maybe it would be fun to have a separate thread here on the forum where we can post ads from other sources and put up opinions and comments about those ridiculously high priced rigs.

To what purpose?

I dunno, it’s prolly a dumb idea....but you know, sometimes when I see yet another insanely high priced outfit being offered for sale, I just feel the urge to make some rude comment about the overly optimistic nutballs who think their rigs are actually worth the completely unrealistic prices they’re trying to get for them...

Anyway....

Msand

Importer
This reminds me about an idea I’ve had for a while after seeing so many ridiculously high priced “adventure“ rigs for sale.

While we’re not supposed to post comments about stupid high pricing on the for sale threads by our members, maybe it would be fun to have a separate thread here on the forum where we can post ads from other sources and put up opinions and comments about those ridiculously high priced rigs.

To what purpose?

I dunno, it’s prolly a dumb idea....but you know, sometimes when I see yet another insanely high priced outfit being offered for sale, I just feel the urge to make some rude comment about the overly optimistic nutballs who think their rigs are actually worth the completely unrealistic prices they’re trying to get for them...

Anyway....
I love that idea, people think their vehicle is worth more than msrp plus full price of modifications... I call people out, and get the usual hate lol

zip

I prefer social distancing.
Something is worth what one person will sell it for, and another person will pay for it.
With that in mind though, I do appreciate when somebody who has more knowledge about that specific vehicle, or that type of vehicle gives me their constructive input.
Doing so in a tactful and respectful manner is the difficult part.
I wouldn’t mind if somebody bought something as an investment or to “flip”and then sold it for a profit to me.
I would want to know if somebody was selling it for twice what they paid for it, with no upgrades, or if it was a salvage title.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
This is in the 'Found on Ebay, CL, other forums' so it is fair game, post away.

My comments are.... when this sold last year on BaT, a buddy and I predicted that it would back up for sale within a year for a $100k more, so we were sort of close.
To us 'laypeople' these 1/4 million dollar plus trucks, or 1/2 - 2 million dollars 'campers' seem like big (crazy) bucks, which they are, BUT it seems people buy them. To some people the difference between $350,000 and $550,000 is meaningless, so they buy what they want. Whoever bought this U500 I am sure was "heck I can flip this in a year or so for a profit, so why not buy it, have some fun, and make a few bucks for my next fun toy". More power to them. No one complains if someone buys $200,000 in Microsoft stock and flips it later for $300,000, and certainly, a U500 DoKa is more interesting than a line item on your brokerage statement. So, of course, it was smacked as 'high priced' when it sold for $195k but if/when it sells for $300k+, then that 'crazy high price' of $195k will seem like a great deal. To most of us, if we bought a used Warn winch at a garage sale for $195, cleaned it up, 'marketed' on Craigslist, and sold it to someone for $369, we would be very proud of ourself for almost doubling our money. This guy is just working at 1000 times 'our' level.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I love that idea, people think their vehicle is worth more than msrp plus full price of modifications... I call people out, and get the usual hate lol

Wait, that happens here on ExPo? Like adding in shipping/transport, duties/fees/taxes, the fuel UPS incurred to deliver shipments of modifications, etc? <rolleyes joking>

This is in the 'Found on Ebay, CL, other forums' so it is fair game, post away.

My comments are.... when this sold last year on BaT, a buddy and I predicted that it would back up for sale within a year for a $100k more, so we were sort of close.
To us 'laypeople' these 1/4 million dollar plus trucks, or 1/2 - 2 million dollars 'campers' seem like big (crazy) bucks, which they are, BUT it seems people buy them. To some people the difference between $350,000 and $550,000 is meaningless, so they buy what they want. Whoever bought this U500 I am sure was "heck I can flip this in a year or so for a profit, so why not buy it, have some fun, and make a few bucks for my next fun toy". More power to them. No one complains if someone buys $200,000 in Microsoft stock and flips it later for $300,000, and certainly, a U500 DoKa is more interesting than a line item on your brokerage statement. So, of course, it was smacked as 'high priced' when it sold for $195k but if/when it sells for $300k+, then that 'crazy high price' of $195k will seem like a great deal. To most of us, if we bought a used Warn winch at a garage sale for $195, cleaned it up, 'marketed' on Craigslist, and sold it to someone for $369, we would be very proud of ourself for almost doubling our money. This guy is just working at 1000 times 'our' level.

Yes, but....while this custom U500 DoKa might have been worth $195k to the right person, most all of us (save for the 0.3%) know it's not worth anything close to $369k. Now, if it had a custom composite cabin on it, then heck yeah that'd be about right (depending on specs of cabin).

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Marketing 101. The price is high enough and well marketed now that it is 'news'. So instead of your local Craigslist,

"Rule The Road With This Super-Rare Mercedes Unimog"

"One of the rarest Mercedes-Benz vehicles in the United States is also one of the most unique vehicles that Mercedes makes"

So somewhere in the Hamptons, Vail, or Palm Springs a guy who does not read Craigslist has had those links come into his 'carguy news feed' and it thinking, Hell that is 1/5th the price of a Mercedes Gullwing, and not only would it add to my 'Richguy Vibe', it will increase my 'Macho Vibe' 100 fold. Heck, Arnold had a Unimog and it was a wimpy singlecab U1300, so I'd be way richer/macho than him.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I guess it proves that Bring A Trailer helps the final price ($195k)
Only bid to $131,000
bidto.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior