2004 Sequoia (Project Baby Panda) - Adventure and Build Page

MTGunner

MTGunner
Larger tires? What would you suggest for a maximum size tire to mitigate problems. As far as too much throttle my foot is not as heavy as when I was younger. This would be for mild off roading, not rock climbing or such.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Larger tires? What would you suggest for a maximum size tire to mitigate problems. As far as too much throttle my foot is not as heavy as when I was younger. This would be for mild off roading, not rock climbing or such.

33-35 is what I’m comfortable running. Know when your cv is at its worst point which would be full lock and droop. Heavy throttle in this situation is never good. Lots of bouncing from lack of traction to instant traction is guarantee to break something. Rock crawling or not. This is what you want to watch for. Slow and steady.

Re gearing will allow you to go slow so you don’t have the throttle so much to turn such a big heavy tire. Locker (s) help with not having to bump up stuff as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Small update. If you guys don’t know. I’m actually selling roof racks for the 1st gen tundra access cab. I plan on doing another batch of them. Since than I have also been busy prototyping one for the 1st gen sequoia. Will be selling a small amount of both tundra and sequoia in the next few weeks if anyone is interested.

d9d9fb96dac3f6a9271bc397c2ad4a34.jpg
51dca7bf969ffd54934b69d172ebdb80.jpg
1bf6c3bbe924ecfaf2b4bd071edf0845.jpg

toyotech

Expedition Leader
The rack looks amazing. Are you going to offer the whole rack? Or just the rails?

They are just kit forms. I will provide the site to buy the crossbars. This way you control how many you get and no mark up on crossbars on my end to cover my time and double shipping

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Prototyping of the Off Road Custom Design Roof Rack Kit is complete. Just need to rework the windscreen. Figure pricing and get them out to more Sequoias.
e6c0c60e788ed9754b9610875f958fb4.jpg

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
My 2003 Sequoia was bought new by us. It is still young at 135K miles. It has done a lot of towing of trailers 2000 pound up to 7200. We have kept it stock with required maintenance. We did change the timing belt and water pump at the book mileage. Did put on 265-70-17 BFG ATs. We did have 2 oxygen sensors fail, and about $2000 worth of computer traction control stuff. I did not pay attention to that as wife handled that and I was working a bunch of hours. Also, liftgate handle failed twice. Also the AC pressure switch had to be replaced. Just doesn’t seem like much. A bit of rust starting to form in rear door dog-legs.
I do wish the charging system would work with an AGM battery. The AGMs only seem to last 7 or 8 years, because they are under-charged.
Toytech, I like the look of your newest Sequoia. Nice job on the paint.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
My 2003 Sequoia was bought new by us. It is still young at 135K miles. It has done a lot of towing of trailers 2000 pound up to 7200. We have kept it stock with required maintenance. We did change the timing belt and water pump at the book mileage. Did put on 265-70-17 BFG ATs. We did have 2 oxygen sensors fail, and about $2000 worth of computer traction control stuff. I did not pay attention to that as wife handled that and I was working a bunch of hours. Also, liftgate handle failed twice. Also the AC pressure switch had to be replaced. Just doesn’t seem like much. A bit of rust starting to form in rear door dog-legs.
I do wish the charging system would work with an AGM battery. The AGMs only seem to last 7 or 8 years, because they are under-charged.
Toytech, I like the look of your newest Sequoia. Nice job on the paint.

Nice. Crazy you had expensive traction control repairs. I know they are kinda know for some trac control issues but didn’t know it could cost that much.

7-8 years isn’t long enough for AGM? I have AGM in all my trucks and the sequoia has one just not installed yet. I’d be happy with 8 years on them. You can always buy a charger for them and Hit it once a month.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Doesn't the Dirty Parts voltage booster work on these (I really don't know, but they aren't that different are they)? I have one on my FJC and it jumped the charge voltage to 14.77, perfect for the Odyssey battery I have.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I’m going to have one of these maintain the main and only AMG battery.
acbaff6079a3bfb8ac30ca39bd721c62.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier