2004 Tundra Adventure Cab - Build/Adventure Thread

toyotech

Expedition Leader
21735a0a9845e9df629a934beb621094.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bkg

Explorer
Mileage isn’t all that horrible. Toyota has never done well in that department. Those 35’s added a ton of weight and the ramp on that trailer is like pulling a parachute.

Putting 35*12.5*17’s on my f350 (stock is basically a 34*10*20) took me from averaging 18-19 on the highway to struggling to get 17. Rolling resistance plays a huge part.

That’s still way better mileage than 09,11,15 crewmax ever got. And on part with all of my first gens (03,04dc,06dc,06dc).

But if mileage was a primary concern, none of us would modify and enjoy our trucks.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Mileage isn’t all that horrible. Toyota has never done well in that department. Those 35’s added a ton of weight and the ramp on that trailer is like pulling a parachute.

Putting 35*12.5*17’s on my f350 (stock is basically a 34*10*20) took me from averaging 18-19 on the highway to struggling to get 17. Rolling resistance plays a huge part.

That’s still way better mileage than 09,11,15 crewmax ever got. And on part with all of my first gens (03,04dc,06dc,06dc).

But if mileage was a primary concern, none of us would modify and enjoy our trucks.

Yeah it isn't bad. Your right about how much more weight the 35s are over the 32s lol.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
That looks awesome! Do you have to rub for 35s?

I done a wheel well trim once for 32s. Once I got 35s on. I had to trim the fender just to be streetable. To be trail ready. I'll need to reopen the wheel wells and then some.

Kya

Adventurer
Thanks for the input on the custom alignment. I'll have to look into that. My wife and I are teachers so we take advantage our off time as much as possible. I'm not that young, and my daughter is a junior in high school. My fantasy is to keep building up the truck and when we are empty nesters, maybe take a year or so and just camper it all over the continent.

I've been enjoying your build thread and learning as much as I can. When you went to 35's did you notice any changes in braking performance? I'm considering that upgrade before the gearing in preparation for 35's maybe (fantasy land: 37's someday). Front Range Off-Road Fabrication here in Colorado has a nice looking rear disc brake and full floater conversion. But it is expensive. Seems like it would be a worthy long term upgrade for a heavy truck, camper, and big tires for four wheeling.

I wish I lived closer to you as I'd offer to come help with your firewall tubing so that I could have the confidence to try that on my own truck. Keep up the updates!

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the input on the custom alignment. I'll have to look into that. My wife and I are teachers so we take advantage our off time as much as possible. I'm not that young, and my daughter is a junior in high school. My fantasy is to keep building up the truck and when we are empty nesters, maybe take a year or so and just camper it all over the continent.

I've been enjoying your build thread and learning as much as I can. When you went to 35's did you notice any changes in braking performance? I'm considering that upgrade before the gearing in preparation for 35's maybe (fantasy land: 37's someday). Front Range Off-Road Fabrication here in Colorado has a nice looking rear disc brake and full floater conversion. But it is expensive. Seems like it would be a worthy long term upgrade for a heavy truck, camper, and big tires for four wheeling.

I wish I lived closer to you as I'd offer to come help with your firewall tubing so that I could have the confidence to try that on my own truck. Keep up the updates!

Your travel plans are similar to mine minus the kids lol. Just trying to pay of the house than I'll have much more free money and be able to work less. At least that's the goal lol.

Braking or the lack of braking is noticeable with 35s but I have never been one to need any emergency braking or do much late braking. I keep my distance and drive pretty defensively. For me the brakes are fine. Keeping the rear brakes adjusted will dramatically increase braking.

I have already done a little tubbing for 32s a while back and will be cutting it open again soon lol. Was my first time and it wasn't to fun. Now I have a better idea of how to do it. The next one should be better and cleaner lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz