2005 Chevy Astro AWD Stealth Campervan - Meticulously Crafted Inside & Out - SOLD

About: Found a rare last model year Chevrolet Astro AWD with almost 90k miles and zero rust; paid over $10k for this immaculate specimen in 2015. Desirable 03-05 last model years, 2005 being the last year made. All of the capacities (Water, Electricity, Food, Clothing Storage/Cleaning) are designed to last off-grid for at least 5 days for 2 people. Its off-road chops gets to some of the most beautiful camps. Always preferring State Forest Land/BLM free camping without any facilities. The perfect base camp for hiking, fly fishing, climbing, kayaking, cooking, and all-around exploring. Down to every little detail of my own efficient camping style has been brought into the build. I took my backpacking gram-counting-spreadsheet principles into making a very intentional layout—never excess. Keeping a detailed spreadsheet ensures I never over-pack nor forget anything. New Product Development - Engineering and Industrial Design professionally, assistance from my Master Mechanic father on some of the more involved vehicle maintenance.

Will ship to West Coast, CA California, Washington, Idaho, Colorado, LA, Los Angeles, San Diego, Denver, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, etc.

Some Key Features in my no-expense-spared build (way too many to list):

• AWD
  • OverlandVans 4” Lifted Suspension
  • 245/75-16 BFGoodrich A/T KO2 Tires
  • Kenwood Bluetooth Apt-X Stereo with mic at headliner
  • Powermaster 220A High Output Alternator
  • Transmission Cooler
  • Big Three Electrical Upgrade with 0 Gauge OFC High-End Wiring
  • Blue Sea Systems Automatic Charging Relay with remote override (ML-ACR)
  • Blue Sea Systems Fuse Block Terminals
  • EZ-Cool Insulated (Roof, Walls and Floor)
  • Lifetime Warranty Tinted Windows
  • Reflectix cut for each window to add extra insulation if desired (always use windshield for privacy) Swivel Passenger Captains Chair
  • Marine Grade Subfloor
  • Ancor Marine Grade Wiring, connectors and clamps throughout (everything Blue Sea and Ancor)
  • Baltic Birch Cabinetry
  • Beech/Birch Sprung Bed Slats
  • Colder auto-closing quick connects throughout (shower, grey water, water fill)
  • Custom food grade extra long water fill line with Colder quick connects (I have female on my in-house water filter, can supply or share parts to build)
  • Main Bed (69” long) with Hammock Second Bed (have another design that a second longer bed would fold off the top of the main if two beds were required... the extension would lay overtop of the passenger’s chair when rotated towards the rear). Could use fridge to extend the top of the bed, so you could conceivably add a decent amount of length creatively, 7 feet in total to be exact. I’ve slept here comfortably at 5’ 11” but generally my wife slept in the bed and me in the hammock. This gives a nice large “living space.”
  • Comes with three custom hammocks that perfectly fit, one synthetic (brown), two Brazilian organic cotton (brown and multi colored)
  • Dovetailed Solid Birch Drawers
  • Blum BLUMOTION Full-Extension Soft-Close slides on all drawers (under bed, kitchen)
  • Stainless Sink/Faucet with low-flow water-saving inserts
  • On-Demand SHURflo Water Pump
  • Outside Shower (stealth hook-up) with quick connect (use quick pop shower tent)
  • 34 Quart Dometic Refrigerator / Freezer CFX-35US
  • Maxxair Deluxe 7500K Fan with remote and thermostat
  • 80/20 Aluminum Extrusion Structures
  • Armstrong Highest-End Vinyl Flooring
  • 316 Stainless Hardware throughout
  • Blue Sea Systems Fuse Block and Breaker for Camper Systems
  • Blue Sea Systems M2 OLED DC SOC Meter (State of Charge Meter)
  • Blue Sea high-output Dual USB
  • Water Pump Over-ride switch
  • easily removable water pump for winterizing on bracket
  • High-end Colder water couplings throughout (mostly normally closed variety)
  • Water fill port (to left of fridge accessible from back hatch), vented
  • All tubing/wiring/plumbing highest quality
  • VMAX 310Ah AGM Camper Batteries (2 @ 155Ah) (over rear axle)
  • Hidden (license plate) Charging Port to On-Board Charger 20A 7 Stage Smart Battery Charger / Maintainer
  • 20 Gallon Fresh Water Tank (over rear axle)
  • 2.5 Gallon Grey Water Tank
  • Heavy Duty VanTech Roof Rack J1000 55” (3 bars)
  • Eezi Awn Swift Awning
  • Sylvania Silverstar ZXE headlights (Rigid LED's were always in the plans for auxiliary)
  • Recessed LED Warm (spectrum for not attracting bugs) Lighting (2 for living space on blue sea switch, 2 for kitchen on blue sea switch)
  • reading LED light
  • TPMS digital display pressure and temperature monitor system
  • List goes on and on…
Just about everything mechanically on the van has been replaced and maintained. All parts are ACDelco (spent the extra money here as it counts). Over $15k in materials alone, plus 500 some-odd hours into this meticulous conversion. I have service history, every build material and component receipt and manual, spreadsheets, etc. I have several new parts also on my to-do list I’d include. All oil changes with Delco oil filters and Mobil 1 Full Synthetic every 5k miles. Extremely balanced and drives like a dream both off-road and on long highway jaunts. I’ll need to update the post with service records and such as time permits. Needs nothing, just did a new muffler and tailpipe, motor mounts, transmission mount, oil pan, AC re-charge, vacuum lines, air idler valve, Spicer u-joints, idler pulley, belt tensioner pulley, tightened steering box, etc. to give you an idea. Have any original parts not used in conversion from original 8 passenger configuration including two bench seats.

Currently 107,469 original miles. Reduced, asking $29,800 or best serious offer. I know this is for a special niche buyer. Compare to other van builds that cost WAY more and are lower quality. Let's please keep this post clean and PM me regarding any disagreement in listed price, serious offer inquiries or other. Located in Northern New Jersey, Passaic County.

If seriously interested I'm happy to do a video call to give you a tour or any other information you may need!

Reason for selling? Quite simply, my family is growing (just had a little-one) and likely moving to a Jeep Gladiator, JLU or 2021 Bronco build next. The van would have to be completely reconfigured and really don't want to dismantle all the work that has been done.

Please see my website https://mlkolb.wixsite.com/stromad/campervan-conversion-build for all of the documented build photos and more photos in action (hundreds), although I admit my “final” photos are seriously lacking and plan to get those done in the near future to really showcase this one-of-a-kind build (I just enjoy when I camp and never remember to take some good photos of the rig in action).

IMG_20180715_105519.jpg
IMG_20180522_184057.jpg
IMG_20190527_114240.jpg
IMG_20190527_114430.jpg
IMG_20190527_114452.jpg
IMG_20190527_114523.jpg
IMG_20190527_114620.jpg
IMG_20200723_102116~02.jpg
IMG_20190527_114720.jpg
IMG_20190527_114811~01.jpg

campervan, van, vanlife, camper van, 4x4, sportsmobile, conversion, off-grid, dry camping, boondocking, minimalist, van life, couple van, base camp, seek and find adventure, outdoors

Last edited:

zirkel

VERY beautiful conversion! Your attention to detail on this build is impressive. This would be a perfect roadtrip vehicle for the single climber. GLWS!

VERY beautiful conversion! Your attention to detail on this build is impressive. This would be a perfect roadtrip vehicle for the single climber. GLWS!

Thank you for your kind words! Really appreciate it! We' ve unfortunately have only had the opportunity to live out of it for a few week (or less) stints at a time, but have always dreamed of multiple consecutive months. Can certainly attest to being a great road trip vehicle ??

I know this build is definitely a niche buyer and you're never going to get back what you put in (I've already accepted that prior to initially listing).

Edit: Added images and build photos of house batteries and electrical systems.

IMG_20200222_100628~01.jpg
IMG_20200222_100638~01.jpg
IMG_20170525_173547~01.jpg
IMG_20170208_164752~01.jpg
IMG_20170525_181909~01.jpg
20160721_164845~01.jpg
20160721_164836~01.jpg
20160721_134629~01.jpg
IMG_20190527_114738~01.jpg
IMG_20200722_130409~01~01.jpg

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Since you asked, as a fellow Astro owner with a ton of investment in my van, I think you price might be a bit high. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for you to get your asking price, but I'm not sure the market will support it. The interior on my pop-top, GTRV-clone isn't as nice as yours, but I've also got lower miles, 4wd-conversion, and fresh rebuilds/regears on the the trans and diffs and I'm not sure I'd get as much as you're asking.

Since you asked, as a fellow Astro owner with a ton of investment in my van, I think you price might be a bit high. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for you to get your asking price, but I'm not sure the market will support it. The interior on my pop-top, GTRV-clone isn't as nice as yours, but I've also got lower miles, 4wd-conversion, and fresh rebuilds/regears on the the trans and diffs and I'm not sure I'd get as much as you're asking.

Herbie, thank you for the friendly reply! I PM'd you and appreciate all of your contributions as a fellow Astro member both here and over on the Astro forums!

If Astros were trending on IG, some young couple would buy it to "build their brand" through targeted ads...

Alas, they're caught up with trendier, showier, and less-practical vehicles.

Sweet build, GLWS.

Thank you for the kind words and for the reply!

Yes, that is the unfortunate state of influence. Trends and likes. Rather than a timeless, robust and well-built design.

zirkel

Thank you for your kind words! Really appreciate it! We' ve unfortunately have only had the opportunity to live out of it for a few week (or less) stints at a time, but have always dreamed of multiple consecutive months. Can certainly attest to being a great road trip vehicle ??

Sold? Still available? It's been over a year. Price drop?

TMOD

I'd have to agree with Herbie above, I think your price is too high. The van looks amazing and you have done some great custom work, but in the end it is still $35k for a 2005 Astro van. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking you in any way, I just think for that money most are looking at something roomier or a bit more modern. You can do a lot with $35k.
I know you said you didn't want to disassemble/reconfigure it, but if I was you, I would consider pulling a lot of those upgrades out and either selling them separately or using them in my next project. I know not everything is practical to pull out, but you might can get enough removed to be able to drop the price significantly and a potential buyer would have a better price point and more options for customizing the way they see fit.
(Just my 02cents. )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz