2005 Excursion build ideas

sdnative13

So I have had an 05 6.0 Excursion for about a year now and lets just say I have my fair share of problems with her since then all of what I hear is common for that year/motor. So far I have replaced 6 injectors, transmission, front diff, steering gear box (3 times), and a few other things I cannot remember at this time. So I am at the point where I am going to start doing a few things to improve my beast. I am planning on doing a V/B spring swap, shocks, tires, rims so that I do not hit the stops going over a speed bump at 3 mph. Also I am looking at doing some work to the engine (blue spring, Bullet proof egr kit, coolant exchange, chip, and a few other minor things). My questions is which one should I do first? I am leaning towards the engine but am not sure. Any suggestions, advice, comments are welcomed.

RunninCold

What is your EOC/ECT delta? That can determine your next upgrade. Do you have a monitor yet? I have an Edge insight CTS that I use to monitor the vitals on my 04 Excursion. My delta is 4 degrees, right now. I plan on installing the Bullet Proof oil cooler and either delete the EGR or upgrade it when my EOC/ECT delta gets around 10.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Definitely go with Engine upgrades first. Make that baby bullet proof. If you get rims, tires, lift, etc and want to go try it out somewhere and break down you're SOL. Trust me, being broken down in the middle of nowhere is horrible.

sdnative13

What is your EOC/ECT delta? That can determine your next upgrade. Do you have a monitor yet? I have an Edge insight CTS that I use to monitor the vitals on my 04 Excursion. My delta is 4 degrees, right now. I plan on installing the Bullet Proof oil cooler and either delete the EGR or upgrade it when my EOC/ECT delta gets around 10.

I do not have one yet. But have heard that either a Edge Insight or scanguage II is a good way to go.

sdnative13

Definitely go with Engine upgrades first. Make that baby bullet proof. If you get rims, tires, lift, etc and want to go try it out somewhere and break down you're SOL. Trust me, being broken down in the middle of nowhere is horrible.

yeah I am leaning towards that. Question is how much should I do. I mean I don't want to due the head bolts and everything if I am not having an issue as I heard not every ex has that issue. I wish I remember the forum but I came across one where a guy listed everything in detail that he change, why, and the warning signs to look out for. It was extremenly comprehensive just lost the site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior