2005 F-450 4x4 Utility Body w/ Starcraft Pine Mountain Lonestar Pop-top Camper

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Mr.Bubblegoose, thanks for the explanation!

I'm looking into a similar set-up. I'm still in the planning stages and completely new to campers (the bed mounted type that is). I was wondering how the camper is anchored to the service body. Would you mind explaining or sharing pictures?

From what I gathered, most campers are made to be anchored with tie-downs from underneath the "wheel wells".... but it's so ugly! :squint:
You're welcome.

My camper is bolted directly through the floor to the service body. And, I agree, I hate standard camper tie-down setups.

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
You're welcome.

My camper is bolted directly through the floor to the service body. And, I agree, I hate standard camper tie-down setups.

That's what I thought. Here's my concern:

When you look at FWC flat bed, they provide a drawing showing where the bolts should be placed (thanks Don!) Do you know how easy it was to locate the proper bolt locations for yours as it probably wasn't designed for this application?

We're looking at Palominos and I wonder how much support I'll get from the manufacturer. I guess we'll just have to see!

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
That's what I thought. Here's my concern:

When you look at FWC flat bed, they provide a drawing showing where the bolts should be placed (thanks Don!) Do you know how easy it was to locate the proper bolt locations for yours as it probably wasn't designed for this application?

We're looking at Palominos and I wonder how much support I'll get from the manufacturer. I guess we'll just have to see!
Mine was already bolted down at time of purchase, and has not been removed since the original build sometime around 2005. I can easily see where the large bolts are located, from inside the camper and underneath the truck. Front most floor cabinet storage, and same at the rear. I'll see if I can find a pic or 2. If I decided to remove the camper, I would just crawl underneath and cut the bolts. They would have to replaced anyway.

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
As far as secure concerns goes, I rear-ended a cargo van at 35-40 mph due to a brake line failure. Was told by a witness that the rear end of the truck all but lifted off the ground. The camper did not budge even an inch; checked all mounting points and all contact points sides.

Sidenote: ARB Bull Bars are incredible. I caved in the cargo van's rear bumper and lower portion of the doors. Zero damage to my bumper, and less than a paint blemish that took 10 min to buff out.

gtbensley

Explorer
As far as secure concerns goes, I rear-ended a cargo van at 35-40 mph due to a brake line failure. Was told by a witness that the rear end of the truck all but lifted off the ground. The camper did not budge even an inch; checked all mounting points and all contact points sides.

Sidenote: ARB Bull Bars are incredible. I caved in the cargo van's rear bumper and lower portion of the doors. Zero damage to my bumper, and less than a paint blemish that took 10 min to buff out.

Thats no joke at that speed especially with a rig that size!! Amazing nothing happened to your truck.

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Thats no joke at that speed especially with a rig that size!! Amazing nothing happened to your truck.
Yes it is. Was lucky enough to be able to slow from 60 mph before hitting him. Brakeline had rubbed or been damaged, and there was a thin spot; gave out, dumping near all the fluid before State Patrol arrived on scene. New, custom brakeline installed, everything checked over and all good now.

Mat Mobile

Adventurer

In that case, I guess as long as it goes through the camper's frame your fine. From my experience with the van, as long as heavy objects are at least a little bolted down (I always end up "over-building anyway), they won't budge.

I always feel like those bumpers are over-built for 95% of the time. But not having to repair the car after an accident is a great selling point. Even limiting the insurance paperwork in the case of an accident is worth it! :xxrotflma

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
The bumper did its job for sure. Best part is I received no citation, since it was a brakeline fail, and the van had already been rear-ended in the same damage areas. It was all being replaced under a previous accident. :)

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Purchased a BubbaRope 28,500 tow rope, and Master Pull synthetic winch line. Time for the old steel cable to go away.
a4d2ac1f1c93eb5dab0fd63009d23169.jpg
328b6f25acff6d6bcde3e1facd12dd35.jpg
b55ba56dbe4a10fcab36e4350fcaab58.jpg

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
TreadWrights arrived yesterday. Planning install for Thursday AM. Aggressive ATs for sure; will put my 12 year old+ flat-treaded Continentals and Generals to shame. Quality and finish are impressive.
f10c8fbe9a3c31ecee406eb8cee9c926.jpg
d1dd3f4fa96acebb8ee28be19c4afe2e.jpg

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Whew!!.. Has been a busy week, work and rigs. TreadWright drive tires installed on "Big Girl" today. Aggressive deep AT tread, and they are true 32" tires, compared to the barely 31" flat tread-patterned Generals previously. Very happy 😁

Also, got a chance to weight her - 13,000 lbs; that is fully loaded for camping, minus clothes, food, and 3/4 tank of fuel. That actually makes me more impressed with the MPG she gets on the HWY, and while towing the Jeep.
23dc5a63e197c1a2859bc99868430654.jpg
4c4483b436fa5abd927eea2fff0fab46.jpg
294019744f7cc0982373859ead2448f1.jpg
83d809de89022ed2467fb0246fa68b35.jpg
da818fc0f5cdd73e7a81c0de73d81fb9.jpg

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Swapped the bumper light covers for amber. Excuse the challenging lighting of the pics this morning. Can't wait for the night, or tomorrow's early AM commute. :)
65562d96d3694e510f073ff18791e3ad.jpg
3dac8b5aab7208dccbbafc0476cf5c3c.jpg
0ae16b1ef36f175d7a3314b32ddcc51f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Full of fuel, washed, waxed, generator checked/run monthly, and her best outfit on. She is just longing for a GPS destination.
176d953ff207ed8feb9e81f739d84920.jpg
cde1354c28814988d7799029b6efe938.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke