2005 G500 build by MG Metalworks

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Lots of progress on the repower project! Got it all back together and it started right up. And then I find an oil leak... Long story short, the oil pressure test port cover and copper washer were compromised and had to be resealed. Kind of frustrating to spend so much on a Mercedes crate engine and have it leak like that right out of the box but problem solved now and the project keeps moving forward.

I cleaned up the engine bay and freshened up the paint on a few parts. I really spent a ton of time on the re-assembly and replaced/upgraded lots of hardware along the way. I also replaced the fuel pump, fuel lines (the rubber sections) and filter. They were still functional but 1) totally accessible with the drivetrain out so why not and 2) they all had signs of deterioration so easy decision.

IMG_5474.JPG

IMG_5490.JPG

IMG_5493.JPG

IMG_5494.JPG

IMG_5516.JPG

IMG_5517.JPG

ANDJ6536.JPG

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Thanks for sharing your Gwagon story. There is some really great info shared here. I found this while searching for some help on suspension updrade help on my 02 G500. Looking to do some longish 700 to 1200 mile trips over next few years.

The washboard roads are beating me to death. Cut my Idaho trip short due to stuck / failed EGR valve. Too much shaking going on possibly.

Have 2” inch lift with aftermarket coils and Bilstein “adjustable” sort of shocks. BF Goodrich AllTerain tires on factory 18’s- so air down is somewhat limited. Any guidance out there?

Wondering if i get more out of going bead locks vs shock upgrade. Will need a good overland builder in great Seattle area to help me with the work, so referrals would be greatly appreciated.

What aftermarket coils are you running? I'm starting to gather parts to refresh the axles and suspension and I'd really like to go with a different coil (vs the OME coils I have now). I'd like a much more plush ride than I have now.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
2000 miles on the ol' G/new drivetrain so far and mostly good things to report! Initial startup was a frustration due to a sealing washer (factory installed on the new crate engine) being defective and creating a substantial oil leak but once resolved, the anxiety level subsided enough to take it out for a drive. Immediately noticed a vibration at speed and traced that to the new driveshafts not being properly "phased". I took out the new front/rear shafts and reinstalled the originals and got probably 99% of the vibration to go away. I can still feel the tiniest bit of drivetrain vibes but until I'm done with another project, I'll have to wait to fix. All in all it was a fairly straightforward job (with a few moments of cursing the limited access to some things).
Shout-out to Matrix Integrated in Portland for parts help! They got me hooked up with some hard to find parts with quick turn-around.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Heeeeck yeah buddy!! Looking so good and factory fresh. New life breathed into the G!

nickw

Adventurer
Lots of progress on the repower project! Got it all back together and it started right up. And then I find an oil leak... Long story short, the oil pressure test port cover and copper washer were compromised and had to be resealed. Kind of frustrating to spend so much on a Mercedes crate engine and have it leak like that right out of the box but problem solved now and the project keeps moving forward.

I cleaned up the engine bay and freshened up the paint on a few parts. I really spent a ton of time on the re-assembly and replaced/upgraded lots of hardware along the way. I also replaced the fuel pump, fuel lines (the rubber sections) and filter. They were still functional but 1) totally accessible with the drivetrain out so why not and 2) they all had signs of deterioration so easy decision.

View attachment 790061

View attachment 790062

View attachment 790063

View attachment 790064

View attachment 790065

View attachment 790066

View attachment 790067
Looks great! I gotta ask, what does a Merc crate engine cost out of curiosity?

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I'll try to keep this short but there is a little back story to what I'm about to post...

Months ago I ordered a set of Werewolf portals for our G500. My man Jeremy at Matrix Integrated took care of the whole process like the pro he is and, as of this week, the pallet of parts has arrived and is sitting in Portland at Matrix's shop. I'm super stoked....however....between the time I ordered these and today, I have moved part-way across the county (for a once-in-a-lifetime job opportunity) and I no longer have my sweet shop with 2-post lift and room to move around. In fact, the 1000 sqft of tools/equipment/supplies/spare parts from my old shop in Oregon is now partly crammed into the painfully small 2-car garage of a home in a *gasp* HOA neighborhood. All I can say is that the housing market in the new locale is rough...not a lot of options. I digress... I'm actively looking for a new shop space but the reality is that I am MONTHS and MONTHS away from 1) getting back to Oregon to round up the rest of my stuff from storage and bringing it here and 2) Finding a workable solution for a workspace or additional storage to free up my garage a little.

So? What's the point? If anyone in the Gwagen community has been lusting over a set of Werewolf portals but didn't want to risk sending their money to a war zone or wait months for production/shipping, I'd rather sell my parts now vs. letting them sit for (realistically) a year before I have a chance to install them. Matrix Integrated has also installed these before so if you'd be interested in that service, I'm sure Jeremy would be happy to talk with you.

I've been on the fence about posting this. I'm still interested in putting them on my good ol' trusty G500 but I have a lot to do before I have the space to work on my rigs again. I don't want to see them sit on a shelf collecting dust. Send me a PM if you want to talk price and logistics. The parts are sitting in Portland ready to go.

916W463

I'll try to keep this short but there is a little back story to what I'm about to post...

Months ago I ordered a set of Werewolf portals for our G500. My man Jeremy at Matrix Integrated took care of the whole process like the pro he is and, as of this week, the pallet of parts has arrived and is sitting in Portland at Matrix's shop. I'm super stoked....however....between the time I ordered these and today, I have moved part-way across the county (for a once-in-a-lifetime job opportunity) and I no longer have my sweet shop with 2-post lift and room to move around. In fact, the 1000 sqft of tools/equipment/supplies/spare parts from my old shop in Oregon is now partly crammed into the painfully small 2-car garage of a home in a *gasp* HOA neighborhood. All I can say is that the housing market in the new locale is rough...not a lot of options. I digress... I'm actively looking for a new shop space but the reality is that I am MONTHS and MONTHS away from 1) getting back to Oregon to round up the rest of my stuff from storage and bringing it here and 2) Finding a workable solution for a workspace or additional storage to free up my garage a little.

So? What's the point? If anyone in the Gwagen community has been lusting over a set of Werewolf portals but didn't want to risk sending their money to a war zone or wait months for production/shipping, I'd rather sell my parts now vs. letting them sit for (realistically) a year before I have a chance to install them. Matrix Integrated has also installed these before so if you'd be interested in that service, I'm sure Jeremy would be happy to talk with you.

I've been on the fence about posting this. I'm still interested in putting them on my good ol' trusty G500 but I have a lot to do before I have the space to work on my rigs again. I don't want to see them sit on a shelf collecting dust. Send me a PM if you want to talk price and logistics. The parts are sitting in Portland ready to go.
Seriously interested. Please PM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz