2005 Silverado Bumper

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Hey guys,

So I've had a TrailReady bumper on my 2005 Chevy Silverado for about 8 years now. I really liked the protection it gave me on the trail (and in parking lots) and it made for a nice place to mount my winch and driving lights.

What I never liked was how BIG the thing is and how much weight it added to the front of my truck. I've always wanted something a little more minimal to get the weight down and help my approach angle a bit more. I liked the look of tube bumpers, but I tend to squeeze my big truck onto tiny trails and use the bumper in a sort of "drive by feel" capacity in the tight spots. Most tube bumpers out there also don't have D-ring mounts which I've really grown to like and use a lot.

I also wanted a 2" receiver and no internal winch mount so I could set up my Warn to be removable and mountable on both the front and back..

So the quick rundown is that I wanted a bumper that was light and small, but was strong and protective where it needed to be. Good D-ring mounts and a 2" receiver.

I really couldn't find what i wanted out there, so I decided to finally buck up and build my own.

The whole thing weighs about 60lbs. I built it from 4x4x.120 and 4x2x.180 tube and then used 1-5/8" nominal schedule 40 pipe for the push bar and lower corner guards.

I know the tube is quite a bit thinner walled than people tend to use, but it is gusseted and boxed in in all the places I need the most strength and I think it is going to work great for my needs.

I've got a 28" LED bar coming soon to fill that large rectangular hole below the grille. The bumper is currently sitting in my garage as the paint drys. I'll post more pics when I get it all put together.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...258.1073741860.1151373766&type=1&l=444f9954ad

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10206219121574258.1073741860.1151373766&type=1&l=444f9954ad11391746_10206622049407202_8511603551927594832_n.jpg

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Wanna sell me one for my suburban? I can keep my plow mount with that design. That is an awesome design, and not to bulky.

Wilbah

Adventurer
That looks really great- I like the receiver hitch and D-Rings and far less "heavy armor" than what is out there by a lot of companies. Nicely done!

I tend to squeeze my big truck onto tiny trails and use the bumper in a sort of "drive by feel" capacity in the tight spots.

:hehe: I've NEVER done that! :lol:

Said to my wife "yeah I know its a tree....but its a small tree.....it'll be fine" haha.

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Finally built the winch carrier and got it wired in.. Now I just need to get hold of a real fairlead..

1972454_10206718434056758_2747362958964295968_n.jpg11202854_10206718428176611_3731563562474289074_n.jpg

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
I'm in Silverton, and will be at the NW Overland Rally in Plain WA this weekend... I'm thinking a steel hawse fairlead to keep the weight/size of the whole thing down. It doesn't get tons of use, just there when I need it.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I know what you mean. I went with synthetic rope and an aluminum fairlead to keep the weight down on mine.
mounted.JPG

You are on the other side of the state to be sure. I have family in Albany every third day, but a ride to that side of the state might be a while away.
Here is the spare that I have. It is cast steel?
fairlead.JPG

If we find a ride to you, I'll send it your way :)

rayra

Expedition Leader
I like the look of that bumper a lot. I've got the same design issues / concerns and want front end protection without looking like I've got a steel girder and a cattle fence panel on the front of my Suburban. I especially like the lower outer tube protection of your wheel wells / suspension frontage. Your design goes in my pile of idea notes for a future custom build.

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
I'd be happy to take it if we can find a way to get it here. I work at Rick's Custom Fencing and Decking right off I-5 near Salem so a drop-off would be easy. How much $$ do you want for it?

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
I like the look of that bumper a lot. I've got the same design issues / concerns and want front end protection without looking like I've got a steel girder and a cattle fence panel on the front of my Suburban. I especially like the lower outer tube protection of your wheel wells / suspension frontage. Your design goes in my pile of idea notes for a future custom build.

Thanks,

I haven't had a chance to really test it out yet, but I'll put it through the paces before summer's over for sure. I think it'll work out well and I'm happy with it so far.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I'd be happy to take it if we can find a way to get it here. I work at Rick's Custom Fencing and Decking right off I-5 near Salem so a drop-off would be easy. How much $$ do you want for it?
It is yours no Charge. If we can find a way to get it to you, consider it my paying forward.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Very happy with my new front bumper.

bumper3.jpg

Really nice to have a place to stand on the front now. Gave me a tie point for the canoe too. That was a goal :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles