2005 TJ

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
Picked this up back in February so this will be run down of where i am now.

I guess to start off with I did not buy this as a toy but I cant leave well enough alone. We have gotten a bit of snow here in Eastern Washington and the 2006 Jetta TDI I was driving just wasn't cutting it, getting stuck in my own driveway was a hard NO, with more snow coming it had to go.

So I looked at a couple of different ads for jeeps, wasn't going to old, didn't want anything with the 3.8 engine, and the 2013+ JK's were out of the price range I was working with. I found a couple that were lifted with 33's+ but none were re-geared so they were gonna suck on my 100 mile a day commute, or it was obvious they were beat on.

so here is what I found, 2005 TJ with the 4.0L, auto transmission, 108K miles, 31" tires. It needs O2 sensors but the car lot is going to fix that on Friday. While it needs to stay daily driver-ish I do have a synthetic wrapped winch to put on it, I will build bumpers, sliders, storage boxes. down the road when I can re-gear it then I will put bigger tires and maybe instead of lifting it I will go high fenders to keep a low COG. Basically anything i do to it cannot hinder the daily driving aspect.

EVVvUjU.jpg

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
Took it into the dealership and had the O2 sensors changed but the CEL was still on, apparently it also needed a fuel pump. I was not very happy about that but they were paying for it so it was nothing from my pocket. Now that the pump is changed out, no more CEL.

(between the time of the O2 sensor and the fuel pump this happened)

This thing is just a barrel of monkeys.... or atleast that’s what the OPDA (oil pump drive assembly) sounded like the other morning. I got a Dorman unit for it, couldn’t tell if it was an updated one with the oil hole or not but I didn’t have time to order a crown one and wait for it. Since it is my daily driver I had to get it back up and running.

Took about an hour total, had to dig out the tool shed door and deal with the 15 degree temps and the wind, but it’s done and the monkeys all ran away.

I am beginning to think that whoever owned this thing did not keep up on the maintenance very well. I have ordered an A/C Delco air filter (which from the testing results ive seen is the best one for this engine), new Champion spark plugs, I need to do the front brakes and change all the fluids, basically just a good once over.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
I was pretty sure this thing had the 3.07 gears but when I ran the build sheet it says 3.73's

You almost hope when changing the plugs that you find a noticeable issue creating a rough idle, but they looked almost new. Put the new plugs in anyways and it seems to be idling smoother, must have been something there.

Also installed my quick release thumb screws for the top, trying to get the little lock tabs up under the rail was a P.I.T.A. this summer when the top is off I am installing nutserts.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
I had to drive over to Sumner for work so Saturday morning before going to my parents i changed the front brakes and calipers, front shocks, and steering stabilizer. still need to change out the rear shocks and my shock pin eliminators should be here soon.

I knew one of my calipers was hanging up but wow, i was getting 15MPG back and fourth to work on fairly flat ground. Yesterday I got 17.5 MPG coming over Snoqualmie Pass

PZ4SaGh.jpg

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Hit me up when you start building it and have questions. I have a 2005 LJ (bit longer than yours) w/ the 4 speed auto and a crap ton of mods done to it. Everything from axles, lockers, regear, tummy tuck, bumpers, electronics, cooling, fenders, steering, etc.. ive had the entire tub down to just the wiring behind the dash and spent plenty of time underneath it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
Picked up a cheap winch bumper and threw it on today with a Tuff Stuff 12,500 winch with synthetic rope, finally pulled a Cree LED bar out ive had in storage for 4 years. Winch and light are not wired yet, it started raining on me and wind picking up.

rJ1KFsG.jpg

sqxHyMV.jpg

not sure I like how much that bar sticks out there, but its kinda growing on me

fthw7g8.jpg

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
well i was trying to hold out a bit longer but my tires started to fall apart. stayed with the same size 31x10.50x15 but went with some open country MT's. rides smoother and only sounds louder right as i start rolling, once driving i dont notice any real difference.

Qj8c7ZQ.jpg

CBimzy7.jpg

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
this catches us up as of this weekend

Yesterday I swapped out the stock alternator for a 137 amp one from a 2007 Liberty and before any says why not the 160 amp Durango unit.... I have a wrecked 2007 Liberty sitting here, I did end up having to switch the plugs but other than that it was bolt in.

But first the reason for doing all of this, outdoors with my son.

qFyRsYl.jpg

0GpfH48.jpg

Last edited:

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
Hit me up when you start building it and have questions. I have a 2005 LJ (bit longer than yours) w/ the 4 speed auto and a crap ton of mods done to it. Everything from axles, lockers, regear, tummy tuck, bumpers, electronics, cooling, fenders, steering, etc.. ive had the entire tub down to just the wiring behind the dash and spent plenty of time underneath it.

Thanks,

this is my first TJ but ive had several other jeeps before.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Thanks,

this is my first TJ but ive had several other jeeps before.

My jeep was my daily driver for years and did piece by piece and other than paying someone to regear, Ive done everything else myself. My truck is now my dd and my jeep sits in the garage waiting for the nice weather to roll around. Ive learned the hard way on some things and made me realize, do it right the first time even if it means waiting longer to get the $ for the quality part. It obviously seems like you’re doing the research on the TJ, and all of us with that year will continue to have the OPDA and various auto trans issues. Its not a matter of if its when. Did the guys replace your o2 sensors with the factory (If I recall NGK sensors, since the TJ is so picky, or did they just disconnect the battery and you’re CEL will light up again after 50miles?

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
My jeep was my daily driver for years and did piece by piece and other than paying someone to regear, Ive done everything else myself. My truck is now my dd and my jeep sits in the garage waiting for the nice weather to roll around. Ive learned the hard way on some things and made me realize, do it right the first time even if it means waiting longer to get the $ for the quality part. It obviously seems like you’re doing the research on the TJ, and all of us with that year will continue to have the OPDA and various auto trans issues. Its not a matter of if its when. Did the guys replace your o2 sensors with the factory (If I recall NGK sensors, since the TJ is so picky, or did they just disconnect the battery and you’re CEL will light up again after 50miles?

No they did replace them, with what brand i have no idea. i will probably end up with an issue down the road with them but ive driven it 2-3000 miles so far and only had a CEL light come on for my gas cap.

grogie

Like to Camp
Congrats on the TJ! Looks like you're already making some good progress. So many options!

I've been running the Crown OPDA for three plus years now. The original one had noticable wear at about 47k at the time. I'm also still running the stock 3.73 gears with 33" tires... I just always turn the overdrive off.

Enjoy!

Great Jeep! I feel your pain on the commute. It's a bit of a balancing act between off-road capability and long distance driving. I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Looking good!
Its a great to see some short wheel base, Jeeps on this board; my favorite vehicles...
Have used CJs, YJs and TJs or years as daily drivers, commuter/street, off road and road trip (some call it overlanding, not sure why) vehicles. Acceptable performance (off road and interstate highway) is just a matter of using common sense when selecting mods, IMO.

Enjoy!

billiebob

then I will put bigger tires and maybe instead of lifting it I will go high fenders to keep a low COG
I did this too.

An AEV HighLine plus all stock suspension. After 20 years of reading about guys modding Jeeps and every mod creating a weakness leading to breakage and another mod..... But leaving the powertrain/suspension all stock means nothing breaks. I have 250K miles on mine and lots of off roading but I've never broken anything.

Here it is with 33x10.50R15s on stock Jeep steel rims, 15x7. I prefer the low, skinny look.
Works best in the forest too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles