2005 Tundra novice build - "The Rez"

smokeysevin

Observer
Pops and clunks are from the lower control arm bolts, my truck does the same thing. Use the OEM adjusters and they will magically go away. I am in the process of doing that now. Drives me crazy

Sean

ccahoon

Anyone else going to NW Overland Rally next week? I'll be there for Saturday. Not sure what classes I'm going to take yet or if I want to try to get signed up for a trail run. Hopefully I get to meet a few of you there.
WE WILL BE THERE BUT ARE BRINGING OUR JDM 4X4 CAMPER. ARE YOU TAKING THE TUNDRA?

Kpack

Adventurer
on my Tacoma, the combination of Total Chaos upper arms and older-pre-IVD coilovers allowed the front end to droop enough to cause the outer TRE to bind. I ended up installing limiting straps... it's possible that may be part of what you are hearing?

also, check the coilover - my neighbor found out his coil was coming in contact with (something) when cycling.
That's certainly possible, but this sound came about recently. My TRE's were replaced over 2 years ago, and my cam bolts were replaced last year. It wasn't making the noise before the cam bolts, but it also wasn't making it immediately afterward. It could be the coils but those have been on the truck for over 2 years.

The TRE's are not OEM and neither are the cam bolts. The TRE's still seem tight when I felt around the other day and the boots aren't torn or leaking. I have less faith in the non-OEM cam bolts though. It really looks like they used bolts meant for a different truck.

Pops and clunks are from the lower control arm bolts, my truck does the same thing. Use the OEM adjusters and they will magically go away. I am in the process of doing that now. Drives me crazy

Sean
What about cam bolts? I looked around at Toyota parts suppliers and found the OEM adjusters but none of them said anything cam bolts. Could I use something non-OEM (that actually fits my truck) like this?

WE WILL BE THERE BUT ARE BRINGING OUR JDM 4X4 CAMPER. ARE YOU TAKING THE TUNDRA?
I'll be bringing the Tundra. I have no idea how crowded it will be, so my truck may be hard to find.

ccahoon

I'll be bringing the Tundra. I have no idea how crowded it will be, so my truck may be hard to find.

I WILL KEEP MY EYES OPEN. THIS IS OUR CAMPER. 4X4 JDM RHD IMPORT. KINDA FUNKY. WE HAVE BEEN REMODELING IT AND THIS WILL BE HER MAIDEN TRIP OUT OF THE STATE (OR). MAYBE WE WILL CROSS PATHS AND CHAT
CHEERS!

Attachments

• GC.jpg
    GC.jpg
    878.5 KB · Views: 24

BattleCat

I already said I would be at the rally in this thread, but here's a picture of the truck I'll be in. Come say hi if you see me.
d7f5e3391aa1809fbea04d09f934237a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Kpack

Adventurer
Yep, the stock alignment cam, lower control arm things.

Sean

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
I assumed the OEM parts were one unit....the sleeve and the large adjustment washer. I'm not sure, but I think they are separate like the SPC ones I linked to.

Just so everyone is aware of what my concerns are with my cam bolts, here's what they look like.

Outside ends of both front and rear:
y4mm9uA8QBQ0Q0yBWFEplWQ-2-FFfww5z8lVdvRE6YDrEvQrrm2ts7keuEURGJUNlhm9K--aRHtUkQQnib1rIaJwrkGpHJBKCpNtJfTIQrejwaBZ3EwD_YFKw_peMInN7fWwO1-avBjcP-gjLHKso1LnVZAHgyvQtN_6j_RJgUJae4rejcOIF3cXJjMwvet1YEgM3jbCAd2vCIG29boJh0S6A

Front side of the rear bolt:
y4mcybTqAHhT5NEGqD_P3qRolSkwkBTZyVi7feQxHQsc_RkJLkCbtXSe1jtG_TwUL2dPJxICKhtHHQKoqXFhhC32jRbNLYRrk2f4jTCCgHu4AgGmPV8DrR2pjDQhraSO9SlFYUoF85ApCe5JIMMzJMZOa9gdiDH63YVm1Zs-hB00tiB8EnI-Arq4LX7EuiOAx8emQBbZVq3mmtysKTb-k6UWA

Rear side of the front bolt:
y4mT4MUXW1ohaXRPJUrNa5qMJurot7AsCaDzcPjZ9yiwMK-RESfkSlQ3H8BsKDQzjqEULFQX-fH2j1Uc3Q3eiax3oawMTYCvNk-mSZitZpaPs0x2Rmj96rMI_Gdt_DiJJYsTZRsVIf8vKSoBQN7_Zwr86fYSWdZmr1tsVWC5Kr8kUoxgc-ud8cv4FEmSYFvCKm4TgRdatkNCdxr3Q1U9Bar-A

I have no idea where these bolts are from but they are obviously not for my truck. That front bolt can't be good.

smokeysevin

Observer
Same kit I used, the sleeve is too short inside so the sleeve pops against the mount. Really poor design.

Sean

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Kpack

Adventurer
So what are you going with? SPC adjusters?

If I swap out the adjusters/bolts will I also need to replace the bushings? They are new....hopefully the right parts for the truck.

Hayden87

Adventurer
So what are you going with? SPC adjusters?

If I swap out the adjusters/bolts will I also need to replace the bushings? They are new....hopefully the right parts for the truck.
When I replaced my Cam Adjusters for new lower control arms, I ordered straight from Toyota. They're a little pricier, but worth it in my opinion. Also easy to install. Also, it was nice to speak with a knowledgeable technician who could set me up with everything I needed for the replacement.

I would think that if your bushings are new and you buy the appropriately sized cam adjusters, they will fit just fine. Make sure you apply a generous amount of anti-seize too.522634

Last edited:

smokeysevin

Observer
Will be replacing with OEM slathered in grease or anti-seize and periodically lubed up or a straight 3/4" grade 8 bolt with fixed inserts. The aftermarket ones are garbage.

Sean

Kpack

Adventurer
If you're using OEM adjusters, do they come with the bolt or do you need to get that separate?

EDIT***
Also, do you guys have part numbers? I'm looking through the diagrams and am getting conflicting information from several sources.

Last edited:

idriveabox

I second oem and tons of anti seize, especially in salt prone areas like I think you’re in (fluid film reference). Also get in for an alignment regularly.

Kpack

Adventurer
Out of curiosity I climbed under the truck and checked the torque on all the cam bolts. Factory spec is 96 ft/lbs.

The driver's front cam bolt was pretty loose. Took a few turns to crank it down (hard to do under the truck!). I haven't heard the popping and snapping all day....that's a good sign. Maybe I can limp along with the aftermarket cam bolts until I get around to replacing the steering rack. I'd rather just do it all at once and only have to pay for one alignment.

Kpack

Adventurer
Last weekend was the Northwest Overland Rally in Plain, WA. I was able to attend just Saturday, and wanted to see what the rally was all about.

I didn't camp at the rally on Friday, camping instead with some friends. I'm loving the swing arm and table set up:
y4m5t2X7k-auaIuqHFyNlMEoplP-wGEWwqiRmKFeDEp565llwOO524TGvV8wSg07JowDrHozD8ZLnDrBH-IUiTRHEpwVkx0sL0eBXTKE1bqx5UsbWX5WPPfTOfSgroTTKtlfNDgEynR_eOk2rKnEaB3tmMp6qJOyEQkt6TH5lka8vl0JtvhAZdxh1b4LhCPeDGaRHiKuAP7GrdH26fMkVNGqA

I'm not a chef, but I tried my hand at making some fish tacos with Wahoo, cabbage, avocado, cilantro, and a creamy/spicy sauce. Came out better than I expected.
y4mj54o--Z4cK8sSHsQ6j2RREvW-fEMrwp5gF7_gz_LDhXNePCFydR1nR_tC6C3vXq-aRa6o_oVcwQST3L3BKqnjNDuUvJA0CdLCE0Z0hhYeS7WMWip6ZllG8xhWMZMIP9k_d8Cz4EmzgAcmJXutMEGgN1tsLLaw2G-HWJf74S7v6UnoGt5Ct1ItKxKwc9Fci9-wcU22YsN4clCwZEW6_o2Iw

The NWOL Rally on Saturday was fun. I've never been to one so wasn't sure what to expect. There were hundreds of vehicles there ranging from modified Subaru Outbacks to the massive Unimogs and 6 wheeled military trucks. The black HEMMT that I've seen online was also there.

I found this really nice 3rd gen Tundra. The guy was super nice and we talked for a quite a while
y4m46avPsxvboijgvzIrdyvDxYbcbWQISPi38jYs5sTChpkDwp8HHRbvH42z2TzCtEp28cBzttoG8ZaevumTK2hl-o8saM5eGK4E_VA1pYhGaUHGOlG0aOVw9P1oUkkoJQu0dpKOJS62bq8fMuDE3tFAKoiw6EvkkiC778Qwn3GdxTCJRRDLhUzUO2XT_SMGgrNmYkA7YXVzHQslKIM9tMrag

y4mIthFoYe3vho4VTSsu5v8B4UCzquRt-WQkZX6HEtQzD9TiNjxKIziPttpRI0HEXA_Crh2SQXe3BUqDwWj91Hz-GOABtBN7OZ4sX0QmkjlzRmA-7kLebtj285FVehXiMGdqVuFuhg5obCegH0zPwV_YUwxAygvuIZXJBudHOCFH8BxP35uMM7UCGDTR1OYU-fjDA-rZq6c-qV97PmZvTPYZg

I attended a class on advanced tire repair, taught by Bob of Off-Road Safety Academy. It was very informative. He went through the very basics of what should be in your kit and each is used for. He then had participants go through various tire repair scenarios, from simple puncture repair, to sidewall tear repair using plugs, to large sidewall repair using kevlar or wire to suture it back together and patch it from the inside (I had no idea you could do this), to removing a tire from a wheel and putting it back on with nothing but 3 simple hand tools. It was eye-opening. Next time I will remember to bring a chair....standing for 2 hours was not fun.
y4mi5eo0KFCN0gIINZQlzyGz8s7b76E8IsL1rerkd3QmSkZ2pvQAloVvCuhhJczUIUyv55QZAC6TVF624pf9ZS2n7sKb0zTVgXMZPG04kSfcwQ5osBTeaaCfxbMTtekqGSrF60v7k_6RNfg9P9uDr3gKLmmR2qRk8QvFZE6e57NtGnvN8jFzxGUg7_dNgjFI7MFH-cf13o0ZWEHeOVr6mMQag

They had a small technical course set up to demonstrate different driving techniques with different types of vehicles. This Subaru Outback did great.
y4mn70OypJXsT-eYyC7QTKJk3F9rKtOeDu_Su0SHWWkdv14sqs5SBCHMFQTwiT7Yug11YKoM6c6D7vKWK-F_FF-xi4H515zhD5GX8Ob8mbHjk9bCVTOUbtoDxOa8wPtatPgbNkRHinMz_UnKceYL6tCl6reLsbgwDJwMNE4za4vTnF94ZNgdK1jnTJRmBM7Zq-hBg9Ez6JzPC5qzKXm90hbWQ

I took my truck on it and it walked through everything. There were a few guys who were curious to see how the 1st gen Tundra would do, and they liked what they saw. I never spun a tire and the suspension worked well to keep all four tires planted despite the terrain. The front suspension was silent (except for some mild squeaky bushings), but the back made some pretty good popping sounds when I was really articulating. Probably the leaf springs?
y4mEP7yJ3K2wOuS6eEkb7nZBf0-hWfTscW8f-71OImOnpTzYl7jCYBARaFwlItfkpHKOK-qHZEoig8Q7-ztmr5RREYNdizQ9GQ2oLLPkI4tYjHlFdhYouSPls5QKI_ndjyViCv7vj2g87zXHVEAPWLhdRHeC6MQBuXMdJoTyQqoZ_WoVp3WzwyjVWHq8FjnTOLivcpDGuZblI6KN0utC2hRww

Full stuff
y4myDgJff10s_mHmKhHc_3gIFGT7NXSiDEAHn45fI7FYpGLycyfou9RoYSVSvJJU8eQ2rl05bZ1PbXpkJRSKAtw-0zgGhNinhIlxhb4xkS1GTumSwmNXPnvHj2ZOZPeiGslQQKeFYvE6-z1oVpUNFBpK5cqOx5qMk29LSVp473cETlQXJSngu4J8McH50VlG3q2qN3ah2DQfyOnEvIArA00xw

I met a few other 1st gen Tundra guys there and they were great to talk to. We shared our vehicles and shared tips and tricks. Hopefully we can all meet up sometime and do a 1st gen trail run or something.There were a ton of vendors there that I browsed. Some very interesting products and concepts. In ended up picking up a factory blemish Factor 55 Flat Link for half price, but nothing else that day.

At about 4pm I reached "overland overload" and drove home. It was overall a great experience. Next time I will probably spend more time in classes and will definitely bring a chair. The technical course was great and all, but the time spent waiting in line was probably not worth it. The trails around me offer much more difficulty and variety anyways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier