2006 DC Tundra. DD meets ongoing tinkering.

seanpistol

Explorer
Coilovers are in. Thanks Sean.
Skype_Photo_20170401_203029.jpg

:wings:

wrenchMonkey_

Adventurer
Ordered a Timbren Flip Kit and Bump Stops, seeing as how my OEM ones fell off.

timbren-kit01_1.jpg

Also got a Blue Sea 4353 Belowdeck 12V Charging Center for putting in the bed to run my fridge. I was going to spring for the one with a digital volt meter, but its back order for a few months, and for the extra $50, its not really worth it. I can do without. I'd like it to keep an eye on my AUX battery, but after a few days of using my fridge and knowing my AMP usage, I won't be worried. If I decide to change my mind, I can always swap out the dual USB outlet with the gauge.

25537-LRG.jpg

Last edited:

wrenchMonkey_

Adventurer
New toy arrived. Really excited. Also started planning my trip for when I get back home. Looking at 6 days 4 nights in and around Kelowna, BC. This won't be as a busy offroading trip as normal. Gonna be one trail a day then finding camp and relaxing. Long gone are the days trying to find a camp spot as the light is fading.

To Do List -
Check over the truck, as its been 5 months with nothing other than oil checks.
Build and mount Front Diff/Rad Skid Plate.
Top up both batteries using my new Odyssey 20A battery charger
Wire in the Blue Sea Below Deck panel into the bed for the fridge.
Wire up the panel to the fuse block with 8GA or 10GA cable.
Install the Timbren U Bolt Flip Kit and Bump Stops
Mount fridge into bed and put some tie downs in.
Pack all my crap for camping.

I'd really, really, really love to install my new Fox coilovers and have them for the trip. However, along with that, I also have to install new SS brake lines and banjo bolts (bleed, test, install) AND get an alignment done. Plus figure out mounting of the R/R DSC reservoir. Coupled with all the things listed above, I don't think I really wanna tackle that. I'll have a month off when I get back to play around with all of that.\

I've also beed eyeing up some bed cage designs, and have settled on this one. Shackle flip kit and new leaf pack. Then I'll do some math and see what shock I want to use, then its fab time. I'll also be cutting out the stock X member/tire carrier and replacing it with some tube. I might build my new rear bumper/tire swing out before tho. Only because I really need to paint and finish up my front bumper, which i am still undecided on what and how I want to finish it off. Not sure if I should plate in the wings with thin sheet metal, but some 6 in led bars, or keep them open. I was also thinking about a stinger bar for mounting the light bar, or keeping it plane and maybe putting the light bar in the front skid plate above the winch. Any thoughts?

bf65c087a40a5822fa42d731d41714d3.jpg

Last edited:

rickashay

Explorer
When are you planning on hitting the road? I'm out in BC full time now (Nelson) so look me up if your in the area. I work at Nelson Toyota now so feel free to stop by!

wrenchMonkey_

Adventurer
So a few updates I've managed to get done while fighting a 9 hour time change.

Played with my FOX shocks. Cant wait to install em.
FOX.jpg

Got the Timbren flip kit and bumps in. Had to get longer U bolts made as with my 1.5 spacer, it was too short. $20 for the new ones locally, and once I get a Deaver pack, the Timbren ones will work great.
TIMBREN.jpg

Blue Sea Deck Panel was put in the bed. 10GA wire from under the hood to the back.
BLUESEA.jpg

Started packing for our trip to Kelowna. That spare tire takes up so much space, looking foward to the swingout/rear bumper.
BED.jpg

Last edited:

Loubaru

Adventurer
What type of tonneau cover is that and how do you like it? I have a hard fiberglass one that the truck came with but its kinda a pain taking it off whenever I need to load something into the bed like top soil.

wrenchMonkey_

Adventurer
Its a TruXedo brand. I got it for $100 used locally. I love it. Its super handy to roll up, very quick and easy and when locking the tail gate, will provide some piece of mind for theft deturance. Out of sight out of mind I guess. Seeing as how I keep my spare in the bed 24/7, even tho its cable locked, I'd prefer people to not see it.

I'd definitely get one if I was in the market, or keep me eye out on the used market.

Loubaru

Adventurer
Nice, this being my first truck I keep going back and forth with how I want to outfit/use the bed. First I was set on a canopy then realized how much that limits using it as a truck so threw the idea out. The tonneau cover is real nice for security/keeping stuff dry so now leaning towards a roll up tonneau and either buying one of those swing out tool boxes or making a swing out unit and throwing a cheap box on it.

AaronK

Explorer
Nice, this being my first truck I keep going back and forth with how I want to outfit/use the bed. First I was set on a canopy then realized how much that limits using it as a truck so threw the idea out. The tonneau cover is real nice for security/keeping stuff dry so now leaning towards a roll up tonneau and either buying one of those swing out tool boxes or making a swing out unit and throwing a cheap box on it.
you just need a bigger canopy 😛

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Loubaru

Adventurer
you just need a bigger canopy ��

I like your thinking......maybe one with a super supportive rack to hold 1.5-2k in top soil :) (my house is only ~3-4 miles from the yard, still not ridding on the bump stops, and I unload it right away)....... Guess I can just finish up my stupid yard and get the canopy since it works fine with lumber/steel hauling but that takes away from our short summers.

AaronK

Explorer
I like your thinking......maybe one with a super supportive rack to hold 1.5-2k in top soil :) (my house is only ~3-4 miles from the yard, still not ridding on the bump stops, and I unload it right away)....... Guess I can just finish up my stupid yard and get the canopy since it works fine with lumber/steel hauling but that takes away from our short summers.
Sounds like you need a trailer too 😉

wrenchMonkey_

Adventurer

The cover is great. Security and weather protection are my two favorite things about it. I want a topper, but I can justify spending the $2500 for one new and have been keeping my eye out for a used one for years.
That being said, this last trip, I really enjoyed climbing on the frame sliders/rear tire to access things in the bed. If I had a canopy on, Id' need to do a big drawer pullout system or something, as I don't think I'd enjoy having to climb into the bed to get stuff all the time.

Nice upgrades. How big is that fridge?
Thanks! Its a 61L and about the perfect size for two adults and two dogs who eat raw food (need to be frozen) Its a dual zone, so about 40% freezer, 60% fridge. I had the freezer set at -15C, and in 35C temps, it kept the freezer at -10 and the fridge around 1 or 2. I was very happy and very impressed. Duty cycle is low, and between 2.5-4AMPS when running.

Sounds like you need a trailer too ��

I've been wanting a trailer for years... and I keep putting it off. If I had a 4 Runner or a GX470, I'd have a trailer forsure, but the truck can still do truck things and haul, so I can still make it work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94