2006 Expedition Expedition. My truck as 'expedition' written all over it

DetroitDarin

Scratching a 10 year Itch
...because it's a FORD Expedition. ***Scroll to bottom of post for current updates***

What better platform to use for an expedition vehicle.

I purchased the truck in August of 2013, as a winter-driver for Michigan weather. My daily is (was) a 2004 RX8.

Here's the truck - the day I bought it. 2006 Expy, Eddie Bauer, 4x4, Leather and stuff; 88k miles.

attachment.php

Pretty unspectacular, really. Each time the truck passed a soccer field it would instinctively turn towards it. Same with any place to get groceries.

Knowing I wanted at least a modicum of cool-factor, AND with my desire to always have more car than I need for any circumstance, I set-out looking for lifts and tires and what-not.

First up was tires and wheels. Unfortunately, the tire-size I wanted had few options. Same with wheels. I ended up adding a LOT of unsprung weight to the truck. I hate weight. But - here's the result - MB wheels with 295/70/17 Trail Grapplers. A supertuner re-adjusted the effective gearing, and gave me back a little power I "lost" through the added weight at the corners.

attachment.php

Ebay was the source for my 3.5"/2.5" spacer lift and leveling kit. I removed the running boards, and here's the new look of the truck.

attachment.php

Remember that bit about 'having more car than I need'? This winter I helped tug 6 or 8 cars from local ditches. One car, a disabled-person's Van, was too far down into the median for me to reach. I felt horrible leaving her and her driver stranded.

Couple that with being stuck in my back yard for two days as the truck was bottomed-out in wet, heavy snow, and I decided I no longer wished to be at the mercy of another car, OR have to leave somebody who really needed help.

I found Tactical Armor Group (TAG), based in Georgia, and placed my order for a wincher bumper.

That was half the battle. Next, I started looking at winches. After a few weeks of googling my brains out, I settled on a 10k Engo winch with synthetic line. Along with the winch, I ordered a snatch block and tree-saver. I think I'll pick up a couple more snatch blocks as time goes on. To compliment the truck I bought a cheap roof rack from Amazon, and a hi-lift. I'm going to ditch the rack for good - and have something made; something more substantial.

Can see the high-lift, sorta, here:

attachment.php

Winch goodies

attachment.php

TAG says my bumper should be started shortly. When I placed the order they asked for 2-3 months. Yikes! I'm trying to be patient...have no choice. When the bumper arrives I'll detail the installation.

In the mean time I'm figurin' on re-design of the interior. Here are my stumbling blocks:

I love having the 3rd row seats. When down, my pups have a great place to do whatever they do in the car. When Up I can separate my teenage daughter from my pre-teen son; helps eliminate petty squabbling.

Having said (written?) that - I really want to make the truck livable. I cannot afford a RTT, but I'd like organized storage options without hindering potential doggy space. I'm considering what amounts to a curtain-rod hanging along each rear side window. From that point, I could hang go-bags, essentially; containing gear, first aid, extra food, etc. These bags would block rear 1/4 view vision. I hesitate to use a lot on top of the truck because it's already high enough. May have no choice.

I have a large, and a diamond Camo net and poles - seen here during my son and my camping trip to our back yard last summer -

campsite.jpg

- I figure on using this for summer camping as a source of shade. I can, uh, get it up, (snicker) in about 15 minutes - but because it'll travel on top of the truck (When I was a Soldier, we ran with those up top of our HMMWV. When we pulled into our firing positions (Was a STINGER Team leader), we'd basically unroll the net over the truck, and come in from underneath with poles and spreaders to raise the net above the truck to the point we could drive out; After we fired, we had to un-*** the AO to our secondary position to avoid retaliation due to the missile's smoke trail) I do not want anything else up there in the way.

Another purchase I'm lining up is TrueTrac front and rear. If I can find switchable lockers I'll go that route.

When all THAT is done, I'm done with the truck. My goal is to pick up a FJ for serious wheeling and back-BACK country travels. Until then, my Grocery-getter will have to "getter" done.

Thoughts, opinions, criticisms welcome.

****Update 6 Jun 14****

TAG bumper installed - winch is not

attachment.php

Winch installed, as well as 315/70/17 Duratracs.

14880841175_f2d53798c0_o.jpg

****Update Feb 2015****

Picked up Chinese 144w 23" LED light bar; best $90 in lighting I've spent!

attachment.php

Comparisons vs 85w Hella flood/fog pattern bulbs.

Just parking lights and Fogs
16171802760_101ea3522d_o.jpg

Parking, Fogs, and LED bar
16173287207_bfd5c8b05b_o.jpg

Attachments

• new_expy.jpg
    new_expy.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 6,134
  • IMG_2961.jpg
    IMG_2961.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 3,295
  • lifted_driveway.jpg
    lifted_driveway.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 3,320
  • 11809099803_384ddd1e1f_b.jpg
    11809099803_384ddd1e1f_b.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 3,293
  • winch.jpg
    winch.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 3,293
  • expy_bumper_3.jpg
    expy_bumper_3.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 4,095
  • 16163469260_b750cc071c_o.jpg
    16163469260_b750cc071c_o.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 1,403
Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
You've done a great job with that expi. If you do end up with f+r lockers in it, I wouldn't waste my time on a FJ, unless it is a real FJ like a 40, 60 or 80 series. If you are thinking of the "FJ" Cruiser, I would just put a bit more ground clearance under the expi. Aside from being a bit smaller, you aren't going to gain anything significant over what you already have. I have spent a fair bit of time in both stock and modified "FJ" Cruisers, mostly off pavement, and they really aren't that spectacular. Visibility is atrocious. If you really want a second vehicle for back back country, I would find a city wheeled four door Rubicon. They are far easier and cheaper to mod, and even stock are very capable off road. They also have WAY better visibility and more cargo room with easier access. That said, if you ARE thinking 40/60/80 series, disregard my rant and carry on...

DetroitDarin

Thank you very much for the feedback. I was thinking 07-08 FJ Cruiser. Mostly due to size and availability of parts. I can't lift my truck off the ground much more. I could do a body lift for larger tires, but the only suspension lift I can find is $4000; allowing 38" tires. I'm already at 33/34...

I'm sourcing lockers now - the hope is TrueTrac front with rear e-locker; but a TT front and rear would be acceptable.

Btw - Whistler is wonderful. Years ago I took an anniversary in Pemberton, BC. Nearly "died" on the way there - there's a SUPER SHARP, decreasing-radius turn just prior to Pemberton - goes hard right under a railroad bridge, then hard left uphill. I entered the corner about 90km/hr - warning sign read 30, IIRC - then dropped to 20 maybe? Anywho - the pucker-factor I carried through there will not be forgotten.

GodBless the stickiest tires I could afford vs those with 'high mileage rating' eh? :)

(I'm origninally from the Tacoma area)

Townsend

Observer
I've mentioned it elsewhere, but I'm very impressed with the rig. Although it's a Ford, your rig is giving me inspiration/ideas for my Tahoe. Cheers!

DetroitDarin

I take that as a huge compliment, TS - I'm eager to get the truck truly ready for long-haul or back-country rides. Like most people, perhaps - I have more desire than money!

:D

Since 'hope' is not a strategy towards accomplishment, I'm laying-out a few intermediate objectives - low cost things that might prove pretty slick once done.

jkron

Observer
Be careful with Tactical Armor Group (TAG). Very shady. I ordered a bumper for my ranger through them. Took months to get and was repeatedly lied to about it. And the quality was terrible. The winch plate wasn't drilled and neither was the mounting tabs. Hardly bolt on as they advertise. Very shady company with terrible communication skills and a very shady history. I would get a refund and move on. Wish I did

DetroitDarin

Ugh - uh oh. I met another expy owner with one; was happy with it. I really have no other options for my truck, however. :(

jkron

Observer
I know. I said the same thing with my ranger. And I was beyond disappointed. I wound up selling it at a huge loss to get it gone and try to get some funds back. I wish the guy ( I can't remember his name) wasn't such a liar about everything cause it did seem a nice bumper. Just went wayyyyy beyond schedule. I ordered it mid July. I took delivery mid November. Was told it would be done by the end of August. Obviously it was way off. And it wasn't even done. Just beware that's all

DetroitDarin

Over the weekend I started building my sleeping platform inside my truck. Awhile ago - last december, I test-slept in the back with the seats down. I found the experience bumpy and uncomfortable - despite trying the fill the cracks with all sorts of stuff. (That last sentence deserves a 'that's what SHE said').

My idea - strategically cut plywood and cover with a semi-durable matting. I needed the platform to fold to allow the seats to rise if need-be. My intention is to leave the board in place behind the middle row of seats to serve as a 'keeping muddy paws off the carpet' when I haul the dogs around.

The rest of the thing will be inserted (Yes, that's what SHE said) prior to venturing out.

Here's how my "Plan" started (I tend not to plan things - but generally get an idea and start building, while correcting in-process).

A scribble and rough measurements and I set-out for Home Depot. The store cut the plywood for me; and I purchased rubber matting, spray adheasive, and piano type hinges.

First step - hinge the back portion to allow access to the little under-floor-tray at the back of the opening. This try holds my recovery strap, a few tools, and what-not.

Then I started cutting (tin snips worked best) - and enlisted help from my daughter.

Initially I planned to allow one of the third-row seats to rise with the platform in place. The way I had the wood cut it simply isn't going to work as hoped. I have a front-to-back cut there, making the piece behind the passenger's side 2nd row seat removable. In the spot on the right of the pic, where there is no matting, I'll use a small tray-type thing to hold any liquid spills. I test-fit the floor of a small kennel/carrier we had, but it didn't work out. Still looking for one the right size; will post when I find something.

Attachments

• expy_floor3.jpg
    expy_floor3.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 126
  • expy_floor1.jpg
    expy_floor1.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 134
  • expy_floor2.jpg
    expy_floor2.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 132
  • expy_floor4.jpg
    expy_floor4.jpg