2006 Ford Turtle Top Van Terra Build Thread (TillOurWheelsFallOff)

Durangotang

UPDATES
Sound deadener has been installed on the walls and ceiling.
IMG_8650.jpg
1/2 inch foam board laid down on the floor and then 1/4 inch plywood over that.
IMG_8652.jpgIMG_8655.jpgIMG_8656.jpg
2 inch insulation was used for the walls and ceiling. R13 for the walls, and R3 for the floor.
IMG_8661.jpgIMG_8664.jpgIMG_8666.jpgIMG_8667.jpg

Next up: Furring strips for the walls and bed platform going in!

Sixinarow

Adventurer
Do you have a floor plan in mind? I'd be interested in seeing what you're thinking since I'm wanting to go the Turtletop route, also.

Durangotang

Do you have a floor plan in mind? I'd be interested in seeing what you're thinking since I'm wanting to go the Turtletop route, also.

The sink and Dometic fridge will be on the drivers side, between the bed and bench seat. Bed is an inch shy of a full size mattress. The passenger side will have the oven/stove right next to the side entry door. Also leaning towards the Dickinson Marine Heater mounted to the wall next to the stove. Propane tank mounted in a locker directly next to or over where the gas fill neck is at since there is a hole through the floor there already. 40" high bed platform with a big drawer slide out with access from the wheelchair door

Sixinarow

Adventurer
The sink and Dometic fridge will be on the drivers side, between the bed and bench seat. Bed is an inch shy of a full size mattress. The passenger side will have the oven/stove right next to the side entry door. Also leaning towards the Dickinson Marine Heater mounted to the wall next to the stove. Propane tank mounted in a locker directly next to or over where the gas fill neck is at since there is a hole through the floor there already. 40" high bed platform with a big drawer slide out with access from the wheelchair door

Sounds great! Looking forward to more pics.

Durangotang

Great find. I like that van. I wish my wheelchair lift was sideways.

I like the side wheelchair drawer for under bed storage. But I saw a full man door on the rear on another turtle top the other day and really like that setup too. It would provider easier access to the full storage area. Maybe for the next build!

Durangotang

Time for an overdue update!

We were replacing the window we decided to keep. The .5" screws weren't quite grabbing the window and compression ring together. So logically I got a longer 1" screw. That turned out to be a little too longer and shattered the window. Turns out the magic length was 3/4"...Good thing we kept some of the old windows around.
IMG_8702.jpg
Got the old swing out bus door removed.
IMG_8695.jpg
Then cut 2x6's to size for the sides of the new door frame. Trimmed about an inch off the width of the planks and angled the tops to fit the old door frame.
IMG_8704.jpg
Used some of the leftover marine plywood to make a header for the door. Two sheets of the ply glued together matched the thickness of the 2x6 perfectly!
IMG_8709.jpg
The wood doorframe all put together.
IMG_8710.jpg
The rear plank was also notched to allow the RV door locking mechanism to sit in the wall.
IMG_8713.jpg
And the finished product after a few layers of fiberglass cloth was laid over the wood frame to blend it with the rest of the body.
IMG_8722.jpg
Also was able to get the new flooring installed as well. Decided to go with Lifeproof waterproof vinyl planks. The core of these planks is actually a rubbery/spongy material as apposed to compressed saw dust. Picked this up at home depot for 2.80/sq ft. 4 20sqft boxes was enough to cover the whole rear of the vehicle.
IMG_8719.jpg

Durangotang

Got a big update here to get all caught up on things. Spent a week in Wisconsin for a family vacation. Came back to colorado and came down with some kind of sickness from vacation that put me out for a week. But anyway...updates!

This is the battery tray design I came up with and my brother welded for me while on vacation.
IMG_9524.jpg

And here she is dropped in the floor and mounted up.
IMG_9534.jpg

Batteries sitting in the tray, 200ah's. I will be tying these two into the stock aux battery that is under the steps into the rear of the vehicle.
IMG_9538.jpg

Picked up some 4x8 sheets of wainscoting from Home Depot for the finished walls.
IMG_9527.jpg

Next up we got a hole in the roof for the Maxxair Fan to go in!
IMG_9546.jpg

And the finished fan looking good. Its been through one rain storm so far and no water leaks.
IMG_9548.jpg

Shot of what the exterior is looking like currently
IMG_9550.jpg

The new table saw for ripping plywood for cabinets.
IMG_9553.jpg

And one of the cabinets installed. The left side is where the oven will be mounted. With the battery access underneath, and a bench seat with storage to the right of that.
IMG_9556.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9557.jpg
    IMG_9557.jpg
    470.4 KB · Views: 58

wonderingsol

Hey guys, I just bought a 2009/10 VanTerra 4x4. I’m starting to get my plans together for my build and found your builds here. Have either of you noticed and rotten/rust on the crossmembers that mount the body of the turtle top to the frame of the vehicle? Some of mine espies illy the ones closest to the wheel wells and pretty bad. I think I can unbolt the body mounts and lift the body just slightly and cut the bad parts out and replace.

also very interested in deleting the first step, BRP did you end up making that mod?
Anyway just wanted to introduce myself and see if you all are still enjoying your vanterra’s.
Cheers

edit*
I ended up ditching out on the 2010 4x4 rig I was looking at due to the rusted out body supports and went with a 2003 2wd model with only 32,000 miles on it. Will probably lift and put more aggressive tires on it and maybe a limited slip differential in the rear.

still very interested whether anyone deleted that lower first step. Thanks!

Attachments

• 7B3C8AC5-526C-4FF6-BCD1-5557E3A0B9A6.jpeg
    7B3C8AC5-526C-4FF6-BCD1-5557E3A0B9A6.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 40
  • EE5479F3-6A1C-465D-B0A4-742DB38BC63A.jpeg
    EE5479F3-6A1C-465D-B0A4-742DB38BC63A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 39
  • D9078912-4EBE-48AE-9266-451F1F654D32.jpeg
    D9078912-4EBE-48AE-9266-451F1F654D32.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Wisconsin1000

Got a big update here to get all caught up on things. Spent a week in Wisconsin for a family vacation. Came back to colorado and came down with some kind of sickness from vacation that put me out for a week. But anyway...updates!

This is the battery tray design I came up with and my brother welded for me while on vacation.
View attachment 474014

And here she is dropped in the floor and mounted up.
View attachment 474016

Batteries sitting in the tray, 200ah's. I will be tying these two into the stock aux battery that is under the steps into the rear of the vehicle.
View attachment 474017

Picked up some 4x8 sheets of wainscoting from Home Depot for the finished walls.
View attachment 474015

Next up we got a hole in the roof for the Maxxair Fan to go in!
View attachment 474018

And the finished fan looking good. Its been through one rain storm so far and no water leaks.
View attachment 474019

Shot of what the exterior is looking like currently
View attachment 474020

The new table saw for ripping plywood for cabinets.
View attachment 474021

And one of the cabinets installed. The left side is where the oven will be mounted. With the battery access underneath, and a bench seat with storage to the right of that.
View attachment 474022

Hey Durango,

do you have a pics of the outside? I may consider your Filon idea for the windows. Also, as a random side note I wired a car remote to my motorized door and it’s sweet ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles