2006 Xterra OR project. Phase Two

bigskypylot

Explorer
supercharger is back on but the bypass actuator valve is cracked. ugggh. scrambled to call up @stillen @magnusonsuperchargers and @superchargers_online to get the right part shipped overnight. the freight was more than what the part cost. Dyno day is this Wednesday. @drivendesire working overtime to get this thing done :)

IMG_20200718_101938_371.jpgIMG_20200718_101938_372.jpgIMG_20200718_101938_373.jpg

bigskypylot

Explorer
file is too large to upload so YouTube it is. Still waiting to talk to the tuner today so no final numbers yet. still have a few odds-n-ends things to tidy up. will be picking it up this weekend. finally! now to drive it a bit then on to the next round of mods!

Hootowl

Observer
Hey Bigsky... I’m late to commenting but just got through the 6 pages! LOL! I’m a past owner of 2 Nissan 4wd trucks. First was a 2001 supercharged Frontier and the second a 2005 Xterra Offroad. Both were bought new and had about 150k miles on them when I sold them. Most of my 4wd uses were boondocking in Colorado, New Mexico, North Carolina and and Tennessee. I also had the Xterra in Canada for a year so got some heavy snow and cold experience and boondocking up into Quebec.

Your build is going in a different direction than my style as I prefer to stay closer to OEM configurations. I may have missed some things in your mods to date plus I believe you said a second round is coming up after you get some time on the truck. Here are some things that popped into my thoughts on things to be considering as you exercise your truck.

On the suspension, I don’t recall a mention of sway bars front and rear. I strongly recommend that you have sway bars on the truck. The Xterra like any SUV truck has a high center of gravity and is prone to rolling around like a drunk pig without both sway bars when at highway speed. Frankly, it can be dangerous. It’s a 15 minute job at the trailhead to remove the rear sway bar and zip tie the end links up. It’s lots more work to do anything with the front sway bar and wasn’t worth it to me to mess with it.

The Xterra rear suspension is not so good in OEM configuration since the compression range is so short. I completely missed what your doing with the rear lift. No surprise on this but the ultimate at your level of mods is to get nice custom rear leaf packs and back it up with Timbrin or hydraulic bump stops. Ditto on a bump stop upgrade for the front suspension.

You’ve put an amazing time and $$$ investment into the power train. I’m not sure what your goal is but suggest that high speed off-road stuff with whoopdedoes is avoided. One of my buddies gave his modded Frontier a go at this and cracked the frame. Bummer having to total out the truck over this.

Consider some wheel well flares and motorcross grade mud flaps front and rear. Two reasons... First your going to have a stream of mud or snow slush flying about 6 inches from your ear and at times through an open window. Second, anyone behind you is going to get plastered as well.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Hey Bigsky... I’m late to commenting but just got through the 6 pages! LOL! I’m a past owner of 2 Nissan 4wd trucks. First was a 2001 supercharged Frontier and the second a 2005 Xterra Offroad. Both were bought new and had about 150k miles on them when I sold them. Most of my 4wd uses were boondocking in Colorado, New Mexico, North Carolina and and Tennessee. I also had the Xterra in Canada for a year so got some heavy snow and cold experience and boondocking up into Quebec.

Your build is going in a different direction than my style as I prefer to stay closer to OEM configurations. I may have missed some things in your mods to date plus I believe you said a second round is coming up after you get some time on the truck. Here are some things that popped into my thoughts on things to be considering as you exercise your truck.

On the suspension, I don’t recall a mention of sway bars front and rear. I strongly recommend that you have sway bars on the truck. The Xterra like any SUV truck has a high center of gravity and is prone to rolling around like a drunk pig without both sway bars when at highway speed. Frankly, it can be dangerous. It’s a 15 minute job at the trailhead to remove the rear sway bar and zip tie the end links up. It’s lots more work to do anything with the front sway bar and wasn’t worth it to me to mess with it.

The Xterra rear suspension is not so good in OEM configuration since the compression range is so short. I completely missed what your doing with the rear lift. No surprise on this but the ultimate at your level of mods is to get nice custom rear leaf packs and back it up with Timbrin or hydraulic bump stops. Ditto on a bump stop upgrade for the front suspension.

You’ve put an amazing time and $$$ investment into the power train. I’m not sure what your goal is but suggest that high speed off-road stuff with whoopdedoes is avoided. One of my buddies gave his modded Frontier a go at this and cracked the frame. Bummer having to total out the truck over this.

Consider some wheel well flares and motorcross grade mud flaps front and rear. Two reasons... First your going to have a stream of mud or snow slush flying about 6 inches from your ear and at times through an open window. Second, anyone behind you is going to get plastered as well.

thanks for the input! I've donea bit out in NC and NE TN as I lived northeast of Knoxville and northwest of AVL. I have another thread on here with the suspension build. It is Tswapped, I have Alcans and Timbrens. I plan on four linking this and deleting the coilbucket and adding shockhoops with a longer coilover. itll be strapped and hydraulic bumps at that point. as far as sway bar is concerned, I've not had them on for 6 years or better with aftermarket suspension and have towed and never had an issue. I don't drive it crazy but I understand the importance of them. I may put a front one on again but the rear is staying off lol

Hootowl

Observer
final numbers. not bad for 35s, 90+ ambient temps and stock gearing. I do see a re-gear in my future.

View attachment 600764

woo hoo! Nice dyno results! The future regear dyno will be darn interesting.

For my 2 trucks with OEM gearing and the same diameter and width tires, 265-70/17 and 265-75/16, my typical RPM range in 4lo was 1000-2000. Anything higher would typically be smooth trail or a short burst to goose it past something. The supercharged VG engine in the 2001 Frontier SC took more RPM than the VQ engine in the 2005 Xterra Offroad.

It will be real useful to see the low RPM end of the range extended out in the dyno data. One thing already documented in the graph is that you have a trailer pulling monster of an Xterra and lots better low end for offroad even if the actual numbers weren’t graphed out.

The only time my Frontier SC completely let me down power wise was at a bit over 12,000 feet in Colorado. I had to cross a 30 foot wide, deep gravel bed that was at a several degree incline. The truck completely bogged down power wise and there was not enough run up room to hit the gravel with any speed. This is exactly the kind of scenario where your engine is going to out perform an OEM truck.

I ran both trucks on a homemade speed run on the Dillon to Eisenhower Tunnel climb on I-70. Both topped out at near 70mph sustained with the engines screaming. The Xterra’s VQ engine was better at regaining some speed though if you lost momentum passing traffic. Your engine will be able to cruise up this kind of grade no big deal.

Tom Langford

Well, I might as well give an update to "Phase Two" of the project

Not much in the way of pics or vids but I know DD/BB is working hard on my build. Wish I could be more hands on but this was the best way to get done what I want done to the X in the time frame I have.

As you all know about what is going on with the suspension mods, the ol' gal needed a heart transplant and a few other modest mods. So, here is the list of what's going down.

Phase Two:

-2015 VK56DE V8 and transmission set with only 500 miles on it (UpRev tuned through Dynosty in Louisville, KY)
It pretty much has everything I needed to get the swap started. I did have to pick up the hoses, upper/lower Pathy V8 shrouds, Pathy V8 Aux Fan and various Pathy V8 small parts but everything was there to build off of. I am using my Rugged Rocks 180A alternator (planning on an upgrade to the 250A or 270A model down the road. I am also using my CSF radiator (upgrading to a Ron Davis down the road as well). Will be using my current drive shaft with some mods done to it (will be upgrading to a JE Reel custom driveshaft and CJD 1350 to 1410 adapter when I re-gear in the next year)

LevelTen Bulletproof Custom built RE5R05A Transmission with Paddle-shift Valve-body/TCM

-2015 Titan Transfer Case from the same donor Titan Pro4X

-Stillen VK56DE Supercharger (second to last one sold so all the issues have been worked out)
-Injector Dynamics ID725 injectors for VK56DE

-JWT CS2 Cams with upgraded intake and exhaust springs

-Audi R8 50K volt coils with custom VK56DE adapter harnesses

-JBA 6400S Long-tube Headers (Ceramic/Titanium coating)

-Cajun Exhaust resonated b-pipes

-JBA Armada Cat-back Exhaust (modified to fit the X)

-V8 Pathfinder Instrument Cluster with Custom LED Swap and white face Pro4X gauges

-V8 Pathfinder shifter and center console with parking brake relocation

-2013 Pathfinder heated steering wheel with auto ON/OFF headlamp option on the turn signal stalk

-See-It-All Retrofit HID lamps with Halos (Currently installed except for Halo drivers)

-2013 Frontier radio bezel and HVAC controls

-Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX w/ iDatalink Maestro Mod (Focal Speakers and Alpine Amp and powered subwoofer audio upgrades planned in the not-too-distant-future) (Installed JL Audo ZR100 Tweeters to replace the RF ones a few years back)

Pretty stoked to have it custom mapped with several use-selected maps from UpRev. My current UpRev has the custom maps and love it.

This is it for now. I'm sure there will be more to come. Stay tuned.....

View attachment 531213

View attachment 531214

View attachment 531215

View attachment 531216

View attachment 531217

View attachment 531218
Scored the full center console with shifter and boot cables, bezel, 12v outlets) and e-brake for a great price

View attachment 531219
It cleaned up really nicely

View attachment 531220
Can't go wrong with car-part.com

View attachment 531221
This will get the LED color swap with white Pro-4X gauge faces

View attachment 531222
And the parking/e-brake relocation. Gonna miss the e-brake handle
yea mine broke how bad id relocation? it seems to be a funnel for things to go under the seat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne