2007 5.9 Mega Cab Build AKA: THE GIANT PANDA update with KING SHOCKS all around!

madakira

Observer
So this has been my overland build for the last year or so. It is a 2007 Dodge Ram Megacab 5.9 diesel.

Here is a list of my current mods

Suspension/Steering -
Thuren Fabrication Long Travel Alien arms
Thuren Fabrication long travel rear leafs
Carli Ball Joints
Thuren Fabrication Track Bar
Carli Steering stabilizer
Thuren Fabrication Sway Bar
Thuren Fabrication Front Axle Truss
Thuren Fabrication high clearance bumper
Spicer U-joints
Synergy Heavy Duty Steering set up
King Shocks 4.0 front, 3.0 quadruple bypass rear (being built. 15 week lead time. UGH!)

Engine/Transmission-
AFE cold air intake
AFE Front and Rear Differential covers
Mag-Hytec Deep Transmission Pan
PPEI Tuned EFI Live with CSP Switch
Speed Hut Gauges (EGT, Boost, and Transmission Temp)
Transmission is fully upgraded by Champion Transmission in Thousand Oaks, CA. Jeff over there really knows his stuff and is truly a stand up guy.

Tires -
37x12.50x17
Goodyear Wrangler MTR Kevlar (This is a great tire that I have run on a few other trucks)

Lighting -
2 Baja Pro Squadron Spot
2 Baja Pro Squadron Combo
4 Front Runner Outfitter 4" foldable spot
20" Amber light bar for bumper coming soon.

Overland Stuff
Front Runner Outfitters mini bed rack (Modified full rack to cover only half the bed to keep weight down, and towards the cab
Front Runner Outfitters 45 liter (11.9 gallon) water tank
Wavian Jerry Cans (2 yellow for diesel, and one black for whatever else)
Front Runner Outfitter Wolf Packs (I have 10, but usually only need 5)20180908_121758.jpg20180922_162129.jpg20180922_162854.jpgAlien Arms mounted.jpgbal joints.jpgFront truss.jpgGauges.jpgIMG_20180512_183936_857.jpgIMG_20180514_170250.jpgIMG_20180710_085139.jpg

Last edited:

madakira

Observer
I am going for the overland/desert race build, so weight is always a factor. Trying to accommodate both genres always leads to some sacrifice. That is why I chose not to add a full rack, or a roof top tent. The half rack empty weighs almost nothing, and everything else is pretty easily removed and can be stored at the campsite while I go hit some sweet jumps in the desert. The next thing I am looking to get is the FLIR thermal vision camera for the front. I also am thinking of getting a 60 liter water tank and trying to mount it underneath the rack. I just need to figure out some sort of bracket.

madakira

Observer
Here is a better picture of the rack, and how big it is. As you can see, a 37" tire easily fits underneath. I could probably fit two under there. There is also space on the side for extra totes. So that, along with the rack, gets me back pretty much all of my bedspace, without covering the entire bed.
20180930_124531.jpg20180930_124520.jpg

madakira

Observer
So my shocks finally came in. They are Thuren Stage 6 valved, so they are pretty stiff, but eat up everything at higher speeds. This was one of the main reasons I did not mount a rooftop tent on my truck. I like overlanding, but I don't like not being able to open it up on open desert. I kind of want the best of both worlds. This build is a little more suspension oriented than most overland builds.
shocks.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears