2007 diesel Grand Cherokee

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Chrysler Group Announces First Full-size Diesel-powered SUV in U.S. With Introduction of 2007 Jeep® Grand Cherokee CRD

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee to run on gas, diesel and E-85
First full-size sport-utility vehicle with 3.0-liter common rail turbo diesel in the U.S.
Up to 30 percent improvement in fuel economy
Class-leading towing, torque, driving range
[June 1st, 2006 - WKJeeps.com] Chrysler Group will announce today its plans to produce the first diesel-powered, full-size sport-utility vehicle (SUV) to be offered in the United States. The 2007 Jeep® Grand Cherokee with a 3.0-liter common rail turbo diesel (CRD) engine will arrive at Jeep dealerships in the first quarter of 2007.

“DaimlerChrysler is a leader in automotive diesel applications in Europe, and it makes sense to continue to build on that experience by offering a modern, clean diesel for the U.S. market,” said Craig Love, Vice President -- Rear-Wheel-Drive Product Team, Chrysler Group. “The Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel will offer consumers increased fuel economy, class-leading torque, towing and driving range.”

The new 3.0-liter CRD engine, built by Mercedes-Benz, produces 215 hp (160 kW) @ 3800 rpm and 376 lb.-ft. torque (510 N•m) @ 1600-2800 rpm and gets an estimated fuel economy of 19 miles city and 23 miles highway. The 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD offers class-leading torque, outstanding towing capacity (7,400 lbs.), and class-leading driving range of approximately 425 miles. And, clean diesel technology improves fuel economy by up to 30 percent and has up to 20 percent fewer carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions. The 3.0-liter CRD engine will be available on the Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, Limited and Overland models.

“The 3.0-liter CRD is an efficient, smooth-running, clean engine that delivers fuel economy and performance,” said Bob Lee, Vice President -- Power Train Product Team, Chrysler Group. “Advanced diesel technology has improved over the last several years; engines are quieter and cleaner due to electronic controls, higher fuel pressures and advanced after-treatment systems.”

Chrysler Group was the first automotive manufacturer in the United States to offer a mid-size, diesel-powered SUV, the 2005 Jeep Liberty with a 2.8-liter CRD engine. Based on consumer response, the diesel-powered Jeep Liberty exceeded the company’s expectations. More than 11,000 diesel-powered Jeep Liberty vehicles have been sold since production began. The Jeep Liberty diesel continues to be a strong seller, as consumers realize the benefits of diesel technology.

The Jeep brand also announced earlier in the year that the 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee would have a flex-fuel capable 4.7-liter SOHC V-8 engine, which gives customers the ability to use a fuel with an 85 percent concentration of ethanol (E-85) in their vehicles. Flex-fuel vehicles support renewable sources of fuel and reduce emissions. The 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee continues Chrysler Group’s commitment to alternative fuels and technology.

More than 60 percent of Chrysler Group vehicles sold in Western Europe are diesel-powered. Between 2003 and 2007, Chrysler Group will triple the number of diesel offerings outside North America. Of the estimated 20 vehicles available, 12 or more will have the option for a diesel powertrain (up from four in 2003).

The Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD will be manufactured at the Jefferson North Assembly Plant in Detroit. The 3.0-liter CRD engine is built at the Mercedes-Benz Berlin Marienfelde Plant in Berlin, Germany. Pricing will be announced closer to availability.

+ d

Adventurer
lost the SFA but gained a CRD...should be interesting to see how well these are received.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Gas mileage and power:

3.0 CRD projected 19 city/23 hwy 215 @ 3800 376 ft/lb @1600-2800

4.7 V8 15 city/20 hwy 235hp @ 4500 rpm 305 ft/lb @ 3600

So here is my question. At what additional purchase price does the diesel no longer make sense in order to justify the better mileage.

If the Liberty CRD is any example, it is only offered in a premium package, not a basic trim.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I'm not impressed with the fuel mileage numbers at all!

When my truck works......I can get 24.5 mpg.

So if I decided on getting one.....it would be for the reliability and longevity of the diesel engine.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Mark,

Just remember, a Jeep GC is much bigger and heavier than the SWR. If it really got 23 mpg that wouldn't be bad for a decent sized SUV.

As far as reliability and such, it's hard to say until the motors have been on the market for a while. Diesel doesn't automatically make it reliable, just look at the Ford Powerstroke for proof.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Thanks for your input Bryan.

I'm feeling like the fuel mileage is not on par with our European counterparts.

I'm wondering if the engine is really just too small for the GC.....or if the design is just wrong somehow to give these MPG figures.

I am certainly aware that a new engine design must be proven.....so I am speaking in general when I talk about a diesel engine in the above post.

I have 4 years of over the road experience in 18 wheelers and over 400,000+ miles with Cummins engines.

I Never had a break down......or trouble of ANY kind!

I love diesel engines!

Can somebody please help stick one in my 4Runner!........:elkgrin:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Mark,

I believe the mileage numbers are misleading. Another benefit to the diesel is the city and hwy numbers are similar and the numbers when fully loaded down and or towing will be much higher with the diesel than a gasoline engine.

Just my .02.

And these are projected numbers. Actual numbers may be higher, who knows at this point it's too early to say for sure.

But you are right, a diesel can be a very reliable engine if properly designed.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
And this is also a high performance diesel. Mileage should be compared to the 5.7L V8

The 5.7 Hemi claims 14 city and 19 hwy, in the Grand C, which is 1mpg worse than the 4.7 v8.

Actual mileage reports are usually lower with the Hemi. My brother-in-law gets around 11 city and 15 hwy with his 5.7 Hemi in their Durango, which is very similar to the Grand in weight. His real life experience with the 5.7 Hemi, which shuts down 4 cyl to save gas, has been disappointing in that respect.

The power of the 5.7 Hemi is awesome though. Those things really get up and go. Border Patrol is using the 2500 4x4's with the 5.7 Hemi to put those prisoner transportation shells on because the Ford and Chevy trucks would struggle with the weight, while the Hemi moves it along nicely.

The 4.7 and 3.7 motors are built in Detroit while the 5.7 Hemi is built in Mexico, if that matters to anyone.

I would be inclined to save a ton of money and buy a basic Grand with the 4.7 and 4x4. The savings could be used for accessories, etc. I suspect the 3.0CRD will fetch a premium price, all will be automatic transmissions, and all will be fully loaded. I base this suspicion on the way the CRD Liberty's have been outfitted.

However, if the 3.0 CRD performs as advertised and provides a reliable platform, then I believe it would be an awesome platform for expedition trips. The gas mileage should remain higher with the diesel under load than any gasoline engine and therefore provide additional range.

Needless to say, I am excited about the option, and look forward to some real world testing. Hint Hint Scott:ylsmoke:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Even better news is that maybe this will force Toyota to bring in some diesels!

:jumping:

-H-

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Hltoppr said:
Even better news is that maybe this will force Toyota to bring in some diesels!

:jumping:

-H-

I don't believe there is an issue here. Toyota will have a diesel in the Tundra in 2009.

Maybe we will see one for the Tacoma/4runner/FJ too? Who knows.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I just heard on the news, that the Jeep Liberty CRD diesel....will not pass the clean air standards next year. So they will eliminate the CRD diesel next YEAR!!!!!!!

Is our Govt. NUTS>?!!!!!!!!!!!!

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Mark,

I believe they are having other issues with the 2.8CRD and will be back in 08 with a different engine.

The Liberty was only available in 45 States to begin with because it doesn't meet 5 States emmission standards.

I believe the new model will meet standards in 09 for all 50 States, when the fuel goes low sulfer.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
calamaridog said:
Maybe we will see one for the Tacoma/4runner/FJ too? Who knows.

I'd love nothing more than to be able to get a 1KZ-TE. Might actually get me off the dime and consider replacing my Hilux.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior