2007 Fuso w/Custom Camper -*SOLD*

DzlToy

Explorer
Hi Dave, wish I had known you were near Atlanta, when you came to pick up the 2004, I would have bought you a :beer: and taken a quick tour.

Will be interested to see how the different seats, suspensions, tires, etc. compare between the two models.

If DMV in MT is anything like Atlanta, you might want to take a full sized shot gun with you to make sure they understand what you are trying to accomplish. I don't think these people down here got out of elementary school.

A floor plan or interior camper pics would be cool if you dont mind sharing. You said the width was seven feet, but it looks wider to me. Is that on the inside? Cab should be 78-79" IIRC. That is about the perfect size camper for the wide open western US.

Cheers

dtruzinski

Explorer
BoBar (Barbie and Bob) stopped in for a visit in their 2007 Fuso Fg Earthcruiser EXP. We really enjoyed meeting them and I expect to travel together at some point. We had a great evening and share many common interest beyond the Fusos. Speaking of Fusos. their rig is an awesome; while I am biased, it seems like the perfect EC combo. I really liked the hardware and systems engineered by EC. They have the long leaf springs up front and the Bob is very pleased with the suspension (he upgraded to Bilsteens on all four corners). The front seats are really well designed and heated! I measured about 2" of additional seat height compared to the factory bucket and bench setup. They continued their journey South into Yellowstone and ultimately home to Santa Fe.

Today I reinstalled the house batteries, finished the plumbing for the Espar hydronic system, replaced the sending unit for my temp gauge, and replaced the tie rod (bent it when I hit a deer on my journey back from Bend Oregon). I am going through zip tie like a fire through dry grass. Next week Midwest Welding and Machine in Bozeman will add the air pressurized bump stops to minimize the sway for the 3 point mount and move the secondary diesel tank from the 2004 to the 2007. Lot's to do before we head out on our Fall trip to the Tetons, Yellowstone, Beartooth, and Glacier. Unfortunately, I am also busy traveling for work, so time to work on the rig is compressed to the weekends.

Pics over Labor day weekend.

dtruzinski

Explorer
Looks good!

Will the body swap affect the titles, registration and insurance coverage on both trucks?

OK the DMV process was simple. We have a form MV50 which is a certification that the camper is permanently affixed to the chassis, has plumbing, electric, refrigeration and cooking systems. That form need to be signed by sheriff or highway patrol and taken to DMV. About $100 in fees later, the 2007 was now registered as a RV. A title correction was filed for the 2004 and it is back to a truck. While it was a little confusing at first, swapping the trucks at Progressive was simple and straightforward. I am really a Progressive Insurance fan; they actually try to make your life easy.

I have put the 2004 up for sale...while I enjoy driving it as a pickup, my wife is not real keen on running errands in the rig (no sense of adventure...well she did marry me and I do have 2 Fuso's, and I am still married!)

By the way, the transplant was bolt for bolt hole seamless.

dave

dtruzinski

Explorer
Spent 15 days traveling and winter camping

Prior to heading out, I decided to upgrade the interior. I stripped the white painted interior and replaced with stained Luan panels sporting 3 coats of varathane. I added four overhead cabinets in the bedroom and built organizers for the rear cargo area. I also insulated the insulation...every place I could add insulation, I added it. 3" under the bed, 3.5" under the counters, showers and table...generally this camper was winter ready...and it worked flawlessly (well almost flawlessly more later). We traveled MT, WY, ID, UT, CO, NM, and AZ. Temps ranged from 5 above to 56 and our camper kept up toasty warm.

Recall I have a Espar D5 Hydronic cabin heater with an Isotherm hot water heater. Basically, when I drive, coolant passes through two interior radiators with fans and the camper is heated to the temperature set. Also the hot water is heated and will remain heated for over 24hrs in freezing conditions. When the truck is parked, the Espar fires up and heats the coolant and warms the camper and hot water (also keeps the engine block warm).

Lost the tail and dash lights early in the trip and have to chase that short now that I am home. I need more exterior insulation around the drain and the p-trap for the shower...both froze when I failed to use RV antifreeze.

Drove in blizzard conditions, snow covered roads, ice roads, deep snow (had to dig out of a 3' snow bank that had ice packed base), and even mud in UT. The 4wd worked exceptionally well both on and off road. I am really pleased with the off grid capabilities of this rig. The solar system and alternator kept the three AGM batteries fully charged. We even added an inverter so we could use the hair dryer (we in this case is my lovely wife, Dee Dee).

I am totally Fuso Addicted after this trip...well I was Fuso addicted prior, but this sealed the deal. These trucks are very capable and the turning radius and 4wd allows you to go places you never planned. We boondocked in BLM lands, national forests, and once on an Indian reservation by accident. We even stayed in a couple of national parks. We would drive until we got tired and then look for a dirt road to camp on. No one bothered us and we had many camp sites to ourselves. In Canyonlands, UT, we were the only campers. Zion was another story...I was surprised by the number of off season campers (kudos to them all).

Saw a 2012+ FG with a Bigfoot trailer mounted on it in the Grand Canyon campground. We chose to move on and did not get a chance to meet the owners.

Pics tomorrow of the new interior and some of the travels.

dtruzinski

Explorer
and now for some pics...

The interior was painted white door panels. The next two pics show the dining area as I was getting ready to remove the panels. Note the extra refrigerator is under the left side bunk. It's 135L dc unit and works perfectly. The seat area has a hinged lid which makes accessing the refrigerator a breezeIMG_4914.jpgIMG_4912.jpg_MG_4509.jpgIf you look carefully in the previous pic you will see the built in freezer/fridge in the counter top (chrome pull). Also there is additional storage under the right side of the table (hinged seat access). And now for the top secret hiding place...the floor is raised 4" and the front part of the dining room floor is hinged.
_MG_4515.jpg

Similar renovations took place in the bedroom area. I added the cabinets over each window. The left side is deeper and holds a ton of clothes. The right side is shallow (so you don't bump your head) and holds toiletries, supplies, maps, books, etc. Under the bed on the left side is a 40G water tank, the center is for storage, and the right side had a hot water heater (Isotherm 6g)

IMG_4929.jpg_MG_4507.jpg_MG_4508.jpg_MG_4504.jpg

Last edited:

dtruzinski

Explorer
Rigs and Roads

My father in law joined us on the trip. He recently converted a 2016 Mercedes 4x4 Sprinter. At 78 he is going strong and by the way...he still works. Hard work and healthy living are his secrets.

Here are some pics of both rigs on this trip.
IMG_5179.jpgIMG_5108.jpgIMG_5140.jpg

IMG_5141.jpgIMG_5149.jpg

Road conditions varied greatly! IMG_5170.jpgIMG_5189.jpg

Attachments

• _MG_4332.jpg
    _MG_4332.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

dtruzinski

Explorer
Since that epic trip in Jan of 2016, the Fuso has been driven less than 1,000 miles. I know it is criminal, right? The job has kept me far busier than I planned.

Right now we have 35k on the odometer and we have decided to put the Fuso up for sale. I will post the information in the for sale section.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Ah well, so it goes. Thanks for detailing the build and trip, that was fun to spectate.

Any plans for a replacement rig?

dtruzinski

Explorer
@czechsix thanks for the feedback. I have really enjoyed this community. I have considered a smaller MB Sprinter...more of a weekender. I will just insulate it and add a heater (espar of course) and call it good :). I want to do more backpacking and less driving. Heck might just put a foam mattress in the Sube and use it to get to the trailheads. No matter what I will continue to wander.

Montanajed

Nice build. What kind of van body did you use for the camper. I have been thinking of doing a similar build utilizing a FRP or duraplate van body. Have you been happy with it? I live in Bozeman. Maybe we could meet up.

dtruzinski

Explorer
@Montanajed. The body/camper is a custom built steel frame on a 3 point pivot. I have been very happy with it. It is fully insulated with rigid foam which fits nicely in the frame. Each side of the exterior is composed of 3 overlapping, metal sheets. It is very durable and holds paint exceptionally well. I am going to be back in MT on the 21st and 22nd to get some additional pics to share with the people who have expressed interest. If you want to swing by and see the rig, I would be happy to meet you that weekend.

Montanajed

@Montanajed. The body/camper is a custom built steel frame on a 3 point pivot. I have been very happy with it. It is fully insulated with rigid foam which fits nicely in the frame. Each side of the exterior is composed of 3 overlapping, metal sheets. It is very durable and holds paint exceptionally well. I am going to be back in MT on the 21st and 22nd to get some additional pics to share with the people who have expressed interest. If you want to swing by and see the rig, I would be happy to meet you that weekend.
That would be awesome! Just let me know when a good time to meet is

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarCaveUSA