2007 Jeep Wrangler REVEALED (pics)

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Mark.....

Here is my two cents and I'll bet you Steak Fajitas at "Julio G's"......! hehe

You are both right.....looks like steel.

If you look farther up toward the front wheel though........I think I'm seeing a "Plastic Cover" that is lifting away from the metal slider.

Look at the difference in the surface texture from the metal underneath and the "Plastic Cover" on the side.

You can also see a major difference in how the light is reflecting (very shiny!) off the red paint and how this same light is reflecting off the Slider (very dull like plastic would reflect light). It seems to me if the slider were painted gloss black......the light would reflect the same off of both surfaces (did I explain that right?).

I'm wondering if they are using a plastic cover on the slider to match the fenders and bumpers to make a complete matching circle around the whole Jeep? I've never seen such a thing.....but anything is possible nowdays to be kewl and different.

Steak Fajita's>?!!:D
DSCN0991.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

articulate

Expedition Leader
Scenic WonderRunner said:
Mark.....

Steak Fajitas at "Julio G's"......! hehe
Red meat sticks to your colon; I'm more of a guinea pig kinda guy
tipon_peru_17.jpg

I started to think that the welds are in a strange spot...it's not a traditional rectangular tube of steel. Perhaps a plastic covering, hmm?

Anyway, I've wasted enough time here for the night....:smilies27

Mark

S

Scenic WonderRunner

OK!..........My London Broil
icon_smile_eating.gif
I had for dinner tonight just did some major FLIPAGE!
little smiley honors go to David Wright over at "GBR".

Last edited by a moderator:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Metal rocker armor has been confirmed, and apparently this piece is only standard on the Rubicon. Whether or not they can take it is yet to be determined, but I have no doubt they'll be adequate for light hits.

Wanderlusty

Explorer
I like it. Most of the folks over on JeepForum are moaning about it, but they are a pretty gripey bunch anyway.

I want to see what the 4 door ends up looking like. And OF COURSE I am also patiently awaiting the Gladiator as well...

Let them take a couple of years for them to iron out the bugs on a totally new model and for the aftermarket accessories to develop, and I may have to think about it...

A lot of folks I have heard moaning about the plastic fenders. I admit, I may not be the biggest fan of the plastic fenders, but I hear they are removable, and I am betting that it is only a matter of time until the aftermarket develops an easily swappable flat fender mod for it...

Overall, I think it is a great vehicle showing a lot of promise. Time will tell, but for the most part, I think the naysayers are wrong...

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Fat_Man said:
I like it. Most of the folks over on JeepForum are moaning about it, but they are a pretty gripey bunch anyway.

I noticed that. I don't think their criticism is nearly as objective as other forums I've visited. Its hip, or macho, to reject change by default. :p

I'm very fond of the Rubbermaid fenders. They'll be hard to trash, but if they do get trashed, they'll be easy to replace, and like you said - I think the aftermarket community is going to have fun with them. Nor do I think they look bad at all.

If you'll notice in the picture, I could've used plastic fenders at one point. :)

pic08-ORIG.jpg

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Yeah, and I bet that since they are removable, folks are gonna be hitting the trails quickly with no fenders whatsoever. If I am understanding the concept correctly, they are supposed to be easily removed, and that is COOL.

If I do have one gripe, it would be the addition of more electronic controls (ESP - electronic stability control) power windows, etc, etc, etc. I don't bemoan them being on there in general, but wish they were an option rather than standard. One thing that attracts me to Jeeps is that they are as simple as a modern auto can get. Less to break.

Do I think this would stop me from getting one? Is it a deal killer? Hardly. Just like simplicity, and this seems to be complicating it a bit. But if THIS is the worst that I have to say about the thing, then I say for me, the design is pretty much a home run (providing they do the 4 door and/or Glad).

The larger platform of the 4 door or the Glad would make an awesome EXPEDITION vehicle, in my opinion....

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Does anyone know if the doors are still removable? Might make it a PItA with power windows, etc. Definately increase the cost of production.....I don't like the rear fenders...the shape is goofy. I don't like the bumpers (no endcaps to remove). The "sliders" are probably the same finish as the Rubicon sliders...a flat black quasi-wrinkle finish. I like the fact that it is wider.....it is another source for near-full width axles (they are few and far between now). The top looks cool, as long as it is easy to take apart and store, and doesn't develope leaks after a few years.

Yes, Jeepforum does have it's share of whiners (just like JU, Pirate, etc). I spend more time on MJR than the other jeep boards. Much less whining. VERY little moderation is needed over there.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
goodtimes said:
Does anyone know if the doors are still removable? Might make it a PItA with power windows, etc.

The doors are indeed removable, on both the two-door and four-door versions.

Pictured is the retaining strap, and I believe the wiring harness connector, which is barely visible.

DSCN0975.jpg

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
cshontz said:

That one looks better than the new one to me.:)

The new one is quite a bit larger. Nearly half a foot longer wb, I guess it will be more stable on the steep climbs but the extra width/length will surely affect rockcrawling ability. I'm sure this new Wrangler will bring alot of new buyers into the fold.

I really am no Jeep fan but the 4dr and Gladiator have me looking on w/ interest for sure! I really like the Gladiator concept, a nice old school p/u.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Actually, wider is better. It is just the sheet metal that gets in the way. There are alot of rock crawling obstacles that give me a hard time because my jeep is so narrow. There is more sheet metal to watch out for, but I think the new platform will be pretty functional. I'd like a set of the new dana 44's to put under my rubicon......

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
mcvickoffroad said:
is that going to be diesel?

I should add that diesel is unavailable in the US market, but diesel will be an option for international markets! This is certainly better than no diesel at all. :)

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I don't get why auto manufactureres are so reluctant to have diesels in the US market!

That's probably a uneducated and generalized thought but is sure does seem like the US has fewer diesel options than the rest of the world.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
I think they are having problems meeting the upcoming emissions standards.
When the new "clean" diesel becomes widely avail in the USA, I think there will be many more diesels on the road (as it currently is used in Europe).

I heard this info from several auto analysts on a news show and they all seemed to think diesels w/ this clean diesel will be the mainstream just like Europe.
Diesel tech has advanced so far that it is not the noisy, smokey motors most Americans associate w/ diesel and the infrastructure is in place.

They also said Hybrid tech is not applicable to the way most Americans drive (hybrids are really only superior in tight urban driving not interstate or 'open road' as most Americans drive). *Note that Toyota markets their Hybrids as enviromental cars and performance cars, not focusing on mpg's.

It really convinced me and I do hope diesels become mainstream. Just waiting for that clean diesel to make it to our shores....

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
mcvickoffroad said:
I don't get why auto manufactureres are so reluctant to have diesels in the US market!

That's probably a uneducated and generalized thought but is sure does seem like the US has fewer diesel options than the rest of the world.

If you talk to a lot of the import automakers, part of the reason why they don't offer diesel engines in North America is due to the quality of our diesel fuel. Diesel is more tightly refined in Europe & Asia and has a lower sulfur content compared to North America. The additional refining is to meet lower emissions standards and leads it way to higher horsepower/smaller displacement performance engines (like what Audi, Jaguar and other companies offer in Europe).

Once North Americans get their act together and demand better diesel processing here, I think we will see more manfacturers launch diesels here. However there is a catch, better fuel is more expensive and thus would drive the cost of diesel overall to go up - thus effecting the cost of everything from lettuce to clothing.

Pete

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior