2007 JKU maintenance - advice

JKU87

Adventurer
It did feel a bit tighter than the oem unit and my oem only had about 20k on it when I swapped it out. Make sure though that all of your other steering parts are not worn though before adding a new stabilizer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are the other parts I should look at? Thanks for your help!

daveh

Adventurer
Track Bar, Tie Rod, Upper and Lower control arms all have bushings that wear over time. The other item would be Ball Joints. All can be replaced with OEM or after market parts. A quality repair shop can check all of those items and let you know if there are any concerns if you're not sure what to look for. Generally excessive play or movement is a sign of trouble.

JKU87

Adventurer
Track Bar, Tie Rod, Upper and Lower control arms all have bushings that wear over time. The other item would be Ball Joints. All can be replaced with OEM or after market parts. A quality repair shop can check all of those items and let you know if there are any concerns if you're not sure what to look for. Generally excessive play or movement is a sign of trouble.

Thank you.

swift7777

°.lllllll.°
I'm coming up on 70K on my 2011, with 2.5 inch lift, OME shocks / coils, AEV drop brackets, and 265 75 16 Cooper ST's. Just replaced the starter motor at around 65K after the pinion gear wasn't retracting quickly enough on cold starts and was hitting the flywheel. Upgraded all the bolts where needed to the shouldered kind to avoid wallowing out the bushings and added a few moog joints to improve the steering.

Other than that I have just kept up on regular maintenance - nothing special, oil and diff changes, brake pads, air cleaner, and a religious dedication to checking the oil level. Also installed a Mishimoto auxiliary trans cooler for piece of mind when off-roading.

The 3.8 is such a simple engine with quite a few well thought out parts that I hope to keep it going for as long as possible.

Almost forgot, just installed a sprint booster - all I can say is " wow " what a huge difference over stock, it basically removes all the lag from the gas pedal and really sharpens up the shift points.

4Fox

Observer

I'd say that when replacing your ball joints, go with higher quality, serviceable ball joints such as Synergy or Alloy. I did not do this the 1st time around and was surprised that I had to replace them so soon. I'm at about 130k on my 07 JKU X. I change my fluids and perform maintenance regularly so no major factory related issues as of yet. I do have some sort of oil leak that I still need to track down though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior