2008 FG crew cab -- maybe!

haven

Expedition Leader
Last Fall, Mitsubishi Fuso Truck of America said they would introduce a new Fuso FG model in the third quarter of 2008. It now looks like the new FG lineup will include a crew cab model.

A few days ago, "jhrodd" discovered that the international Fuso web site has details about a new Fuso FG model with crew cab:

fg2.jpg

The Fuso web site for the new FG is here:

http://www.mitsubishi-fuso.com/en/products/truck/7_8series/lineup/fg.html

The dimensions and specs for the 2008 FG chassis found on this web site appear to me to be the same as the specs for the 2006-2008 North American FE model. This means a stronger, less flexible frame that lacks the step-down of the older FG frame.

The step-down frame made more ground clearance for the FG's transfer case and front drive shaft. It's not clear how the new FG will make clearance for these items. Maybe Fuso will specify taller tires for the 2008 FG.

The current FE 4x2 chassis is available in crew cab form. Its wheelbase is 165 inches. This produces a cab to rear axle dimension of 103 inches. The turning diameter is 48 feet.

The comparable current FG with cab to rear axle of 110 inches has a wheelbase of 136 inches, and turning diameter of 38 feet.

So the trade-off of using a crew cab is adding 10 feet to your turning circle.

Chip Haven

Bajaroad

Adventurer
Am I missing something . . .

Chip, where is the informaton about the "no step down" and strength of the FG frame? They show a new frame for the 8 Ton truck, but I can't find anything specific about the FG.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
More crew cabs like this mean this may be a serious option for me one day.

Scott Brady

Founder
Having driven the new FG, they are actually quite nice. If it's limitations are considered and the vehicle is driven accordingly, it is pretty amazing how well they do on the trail.

The attribute that stood out most clearly in my mind was the ease of driving, for such a large platform (I spent four years of my life as a firefighter/engineer on large trucks). Really not very "truck" like at all, with light throttle and clutch take-up, etc. Steering is tight and responsive (considering). The motor is perfectly matched to the chassis.

Visibility is impressive due to the cab-over configuration.

A crew-cab with a simple camper or box on the back would make for a great RTW machine for a family.

boblynch

Adventurer
I would seriously consider buying the first one if I could get answers to the following:
1. What is the projected payload?
2. Do the frame changes stiffen things up enough to support a cab over bed (think standard truck camper)?
3. What is the estimated mpg?
4. Are there readily available wheels and tires more suitable to off road use?

Any of you knowledgeable Fuso guys want to give me your best guess?

I've sent an email to my local Fuso dealer to try and get answers, specs, and details on availability. Will post anything I find out.

Bob

haven

Expedition Leader
assumptions

Bajaroad asked, "where is the informaton about the "no step down" and strength of the FG frame?"

I'm looking at this page
http://www.mitsubishi-fuso.com/en/products/truck/7_8series/chassis/index.html?a2

The page is labeled "FB/FE/FG 7/8 Series," so I **assume** the information on the page applies to both 2008 FE and FG. The FB isn't imported to North America.

The cutaway illustration at the top of the page shows straight frame rails. At the bottom of the page, there's a second illustration of the frame, again with straight rails.

The cross section of the frame shows the steel used to form the frame is 6 mm thick, and formed into a C shape that is 226 mm high and 70 mm wide. These dimensions match the frame on the 2006-2007 FE imported to USA. The 2007 FG imported today has thinner steel and different dimensions.

Chip Haven

haven

Expedition Leader
questions

1. What is the projected payload of the FG crew cab?

The Fuso FE crew cab reduces payload by about 300 lbs. when compared to the equivalent FE single cab. So I expect a similar reduction in payload in the FG series. The 2007 FG has a payload of 8208 lbs., so I'd guess a payload of 7900 lbs. for an FG crew cab.

2. Do the frame changes stiffen things up enough to support a cab over bed (think standard truck camper)?

If the new straight frame is indeed the frame used in the current FE model, then it will be stiff enough to support a cab-over bed. JHRodd's FE with cab-over seems to work without interference

jhrodd-1.jpg

3. What is the estimated mpg?

Unknown. The current FG model gets about 15 mpg. The 2008 FE and FG models have different emissions control equipment, so they may not have the same mileage.

The stock Yokohamas are pretty good for light off-road use. If you're willing to stick to dual rear wheels, you could use more aggressive MT tires from BFG or Goodyear in the same size and weight carrying capacity.

Another alternative for dual rear is Michelin XZY 7.50R16, load range G (14PR), 3140 lbs carrying capacity at 100 psi. This tire is often used on Land Cruisers and Land Rovers for expedition travel. Unfortunately, I don't know if a source in USA.

For single rear wheels, the answer seems to be Michelin XZL 255/100R16. But these require a modified suspension and probably a different rear axle to make them fit. Again, it's almost impossible to find this tire in USA.

Chip Haven

haven said:
1. What is the projected payload of the FG crew cab?

The Fuso FE crew cab reduces payload by about 300 lbs. when compared to the equivalent FE single cab. So I expect a similar reduction in payload in the FG series. The 2007 FG has a payload of 8208 lbs., so I'd guess a payload of 7900 lbs. for an FG crew cab.

The stock Yokohamas are pretty good for light off-road use. If you're willing to stick to dual rear wheels, you could use more aggressive MT tires from BFG or Goodyear in the same size and weight carrying capacity.

Another alternative for dual rear is Michelin XZY 7.50R16, load range G (14PR), 3140 lbs carrying capacity at 100 psi. This tire is often used on Land Cruisers and Land Rovers for expedition travel. Unfortunately, I don't know if a source in USA.

For single rear wheels, the answer seems to be Michelin XZL 255/100R16. But these require a modified suspension and probably a different rear axle to make them fit. Again, it's almost impossible to find this tire in USA.

Chip Haven

Amesz in Australia have fitted 325/85R16 XML Michelins to Mitsubishis. At 5070 lb these have the same load capacity as a pair of standard 7.50R16 10 PR with dual rating, so one wouldn't lose any payload capacity. The trick is suspension lift and absolutely necessary gearing change (21% increased diameter, so 5.83-5.88 would be best if stock is 4.875).

Charlie

boblynch

Adventurer
Charlie and Chip thanks for the info. If the rear axle/wheel mods aren't a budget breaker this could be a very strong platform. A crew cab with 7900lb payload, SRW, and international support!

Will be curious to see how the new emissions impact mileage. Thanks again.

Bob

boblynch

Adventurer
Any News?

Does anyone have any news on the Fuso FG Crew Cab? I've contacted a few local dealers and they seem to be in the dark.

Bob

dhackney

Expedition Leader
While in a Fuso dealership in Chile I came across a Mitsu/Fuso 75th anniversary brochure which I will scan and post shortly. The brochure related the entire history of every product line Mitsu/Fuso has sold.

If the new FG crew cab follows the model to market propagation of past Canter (F series in the USA & Canada) models, it will be sold in Japan for two to three years before introduction in the North American and other overseas markets.

Check the Mitsu/Fuso Japan site and see if they've had a new FG crew cab for a couple of years and you'll know what might be headed for the U.S.

boblynch

Adventurer
Thanks Doug. Mitsubishi North America responded to my email request and indicated that a Fuso FG crew cab is not planned for 2008 or 2009. If anyone hear's differently please post an update.

Colorado Ron

Explorer
ahhh! I wish they would just do it. That was my only hold back from building one of these in the first place! I needed the crew cab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior