2009 Chevy Medium Duty 4x4 Kodiak Ambulance conversion

El_Viajero

Joaquin Suave, where did you get the aluminium cradle adapter, or did you make it yourself. This is one item Bob and I have discussed and we both need. However, I need one that will fit a 5" diameter round Rockwell axle for my ambo/trailer, and I would like to have something so the jack could be used with my F250 tow vehicle also.

A bit of a necropost ?‍♂️ but reading through this and saw the comment about the Boberg HMMWV jacks. Been looking at one for use with a GMC Sportsmobile but haven't found any adaptors or dimensions for the lifting nub/extension. I read through the rest of this thread but couldn't find anything on the cradle adapter that was mentioned. Any further info? Did you guys every figure/solve that search?

rlrenz

Explorer
Pat died before we figured anything out.

Since my back hasn't been behaving for months (and probably never will), I've decided to sell my own HUMMWV Bogert jack -- it's too heavy for me to work with any longer. Instead, I'll avoid driving off-road, and go back to my hydraulic jacks and 2x8x16 blocking, with a hand full of cash if needed.

There's a socket on top of the Bogert jack, maybe about 1 1/4" in diameter and about an inch high, that I'd planned to weld up an adapter for to handle Pat's axles. In my own case, I planned to grab a bolt head like the HUMMWV application.

The military jack is definitely well made - an old friend of mine used to say "it just smells of money". Mine cost a bit more than some that are being sold on-line, but it had been stored indoors. It comes with a canvas carrying bag that any 18 year-old soldier could probably carry with one hand...... The PITA about buying one is shipping - it weighs about 75-80# in a box, so UPS gets a bit of $.

A jack in A-1 condition sells for about $400, plus shipping --- if you want to buy mine, $200 plus shipping. Plan B is I'll bring it to the off-road flea market.

I don't know if you've seen a manual for the jack, so I attached a copy.

Attachments

• HMMWV Jack_Manual.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 12

java

Expedition Leader

Since my back hasn't been behaving for months (and probably never will), I've decided to sell my own HUMMWV Bogert jack -- it's too heavy for me to work with any longer. Instead, I'll avoid driving off-road, and go back to my hydraulic jacks and 2x8x16 blocking, with a hand full of cash if needed.

There's a socket on top of the Bogert jack, maybe about 1 1/4" in diameter and about an inch high, that I'd planned to weld up an adapter for to handle Pat's axles. In my own case, I planned to grab a bolt head like the HUMMWV application.

The military jack is definitely well made - an old friend of mine used to say "it just smells of money". Mine cost a bit more than some that are being sold on-line, but it had been stored indoors. It comes with a canvas carrying bag that any 18 year-old soldier could probably carry with one hand...... The PITA about buying one is shipping - it weighs about 75-80# in a box, so UPS gets a bit of $.

A jack in A-1 condition sells for about $400, plus shipping --- if you want to buy mine, $200 plus shipping. Plan B is I'll bring it to the off-road flea market.

Wish you were closer I'd take it....

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Haha, Java is in the PNW, WA I believe...which is close to OR. And I'm in OR Bob.

Have a look at these links;

Hopefully that helps!

El_Viajero

I didn't get any notification from the Forum, so I this is a little delayed. Sorry to hear about the health issues. Thanks for the offer! I'm going to send you a PM.

rlrenz

Explorer
Pat had had circulation problems for years. He had been the DoD fire chief for the Pensacola area, and his weight went up after he retired. He did everything to the levels he was used to in the FD, and I was the same way since I retired from running a military test lab. We emailed daily, and I hadn't heard ftom him for a few days when one of his sister's friends joined a Facebook site we both used just so he could tell Pat's friends that he'd passed on.

I learned ambulance electronics from the Global Emergency Vehicles Company shop manager years ago, so Pat and I would often bounce ideas off each other

Unfortunately, as we age, things that used to be easy get harder, things that didn't weigh a lot suddenly get heavier, and short walks get longer. That's life -- we learn to adjust and adapt. Unfortunately, I've never had "light weight" hobbies/interests - restoring steam locomotives and Army trucks, plus my machine shop all mean I wear steel toe boots instead of sandals. I have a 1000# lift that I use to load heavy things into a truck, I have a gantry crane with an air-operated hoist in my shop, and I have a monorail hoist to load material into my machines. My electrician neighbor comes to me when he needs something modified, and I go to him for electrical needs. My neighbors have a 15 year old son -- he's always willing to lend me a hand, especially when he sees a $10 bill in my hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke