2009 Chevy Medium Duty 4x4 Kodiak Ambulance conversion

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
cool idea, never thought of that - wanted the pass through so hadn't considered using the space at all ... clever! wish you'd started your build before i started mine!

Mattersnots

Adventurer
gaiusheff, thanks for the support. It helps.

CowPig. It would have been great to build together. Imagine building two in the same space. Seems like it would go faster although anytime someone comes over to visit/help all progress comes to a stand still. I've gotten some ideas from you as well.

Deshet, look for the KKK standard. Under that criteria they have to be at least 72" inside. Mine is 72 to 75 depending where you stand and how much ceiling insulation I add.

rlrenz

Explorer
View attachment 443273
Started on the waterworks. I think this is going to be one of my favorite parts of the build. It took many hours to come up with a plumbing schematic that didn't overlap water lines. My goal was to mount everything on one plane and have all of the valves in a line. This will make it easy to know which valves to open/close for the desired result. The slots cut in the rear wall are so you can see the water tank level while filling. I'm not a fan of the float type switches and senders in tanks.
View attachment 443279
Here's a wider shot before I cut out the tank viewing portals. Since this shot was taken I've put in more plumbing and crimped everything. Pex is an amazing system so far. It allows you to put all of the plumbing together and check the fit before finalizing it by crimping the ends. Even after crimping the fittings can still be twisted.

View attachment 443280
Here's a question for you Hoseline gurus out there. I can't remember who the expert is, but from reading on this site I know someone really knows their stuff about hoseline. These appear to be the engine coolant lines that go to the rear heater. I'm guessing that is a circulation pump and two solenoids. Maybe the water only circulates to the back when the heater is turned on? My question is, what is the best way to tie into this system for my water heater?

The usual operating scenario for the Hoseline heating/AC system is that the whole thing is governed by the HEAT/AC switch. This is usually either on the driver's panel, or on the action station panel. Once that switch is ON, then the system is controlled by the thermostat. Some systems use the Hoseline standard thermostat, and some use the Hoseline CM-3000 digital thermostat. Regardless which thermostat is used, the module (ambulance portion) is the primary goal of the system. The cab heat/AC usually won't be nearly as effective if the HEAT/AC switch is turned off. The circulating pump in your system is operated by the thermostat - it starts the pump at the same time it opens the hot water valves that are located close to the Hoseline heating core.

You can plumb in a water heater to heat the module, or you can tap into the existing vehicle system to heat water for a shower.

Hoseline makes a variety of valves that can be used to operate whatever you want to do. Their vacuum operated valves are the most common (complete with a small vacuum pump), but they also now offer electrical ball valves that work well. You can even use manual ball valves to run things. Solenoid valves are relatively rare in these heating systems due to the low pressures and the relatively high flows required.

I've attached a basic Hoseline drawing that may offer some help:

hoseline heat.JPG

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Also check and see if the engine fan is set to come on whenever the AC is on. Not sure about the GM stuff but on the other medium duty trucks the engine fans sucks about 15hp and makes a hell of a noise.

With Freightliner it is just a setting in the engine configuration.

rossiter78

Observer
I dream of getting 11mpg let alone 13.

Quick update. Just filled up and have a new datapoint. After over 600 mostly city miles I averaged 10.9 mpg. Not too bad due to how much in town driving this stretch had.
Again this is in c4500 ambulance with 6.6L duramax diesel.

Mattersnots

Adventurer
Also check and see if the engine fan is set to come on whenever the AC is on. Not sure about the GM stuff but on the other medium duty trucks the engine fans sucks about 15hp and makes a hell of a noise.

With Freightliner it is just a setting in the engine configuration.
Thanks I'll watch for that. How does one go about changing this if it's in the computer only. I'd also like to turn the idle shut down feature that was disabled by the previous owner. Is this all dealer only stuff?

Mattersnots

Adventurer
Quick update. Just filled up and have a new datapoint. After over 600 mostly city miles I averaged 10.9 mpg. Not too bad due to how much in town driving this stretch had.
Again this is in c4500 ambulance with 6.6L duramax diesel.
No bad. I could live with that especially for city.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier