2009 Tacoma DCSB Sport - Preparing as a Minnesota Expo-Lite rig.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...Anyone have any visibility to this? I was hoping to use some time during the Christmas Holiday season to take a little time off and get these on the truck. Now... maybe not. It did come with the N140S fronts and N182 rears. Everything is new, in OME Nitrocharger boxes etc.

Anyone heard or ARB having trouble getting stuff into the country?

It not an issue wit ARB getting stuff into the country, its an issue with ARB getting enough of the popular parts into the country. The CS047R springs have been on back-order since early November, they have had shipments coming in during this time but those only serviced previous orders. So if your vendor didn't order (or attempt to drop-ship) the springs until you placed your Amazon order, you don't get put in line until that point. They had 100+ of the CS047R's show up earlier this week but it only serviced those previous orders as mentioned. The next batch comes into ARB on 12/21 (if I recall correctly) and those are all pre-sold as well, after that its late January until any are available for new orders and I fully expect those to all be pre-sold before they arrive as well. The 2nd Gen Tacoma is a very popular platform and keeping up with demand has been difficult.

Also fwiw looks like you got the older Nitrocharger shocks rather than the new model Nitrocharger Sport shocks. Don't get me wrong the Nitrocharger's are and have been a great option but for the few $$$'s difference the Nitro Sports are worth the upgrade when available in my opinion. Another thing you should have before the install is the rear spring bushings (4) as its doubtful they were included in your kit.

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
Thanks Cruiseroutfit.

Kurt, thanks for the clarification. A little surprising that there is that much demand for the rear spring pack. Certainly the 05+ Tacoma is a desirable and popular platform and the OME rear pack seems to be the spring of choice. All the more reason to do the upgrade and keep the complete system together.

Agree with you on the rear spring bushings and have picked those up. Should be good to go.

Additionally.... I have been doing some tire research and am torn at this point between 3 options in the 265/70-17 size :

BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO

Yokohama Geolandar AT-S

Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac

Anyone have any really strong opinions either way?

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
New wheels.

Bought a new to me set of wheels today! :wings:
2012-toyota-FJ-cruiser-wheels.jpg

Those wheels originate with the 5th Gen 4Runners Trail Edition and more recently the 2012 FJs. I was able to find a set on CL that a local guy was letting go of. I am really excited because as I understand it, the specs on these wheels have a 15mm offset vs. the 30mm of the stock TRD Sport wheels. Effectively giving it a backspacing of 4.9" instead of 5.5"

Still surprised no one had an opinion on the tires...

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
Just got an update from Fed Ex... 71# packages times 2 delivered today... hmmmmm...:box:

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
Long overdue update.... the spring in Minnesota has gotten away from me and I certainly have not spent as much time here or in the shop and such as I thought I might. That said, I installed the OME ARB OMETAC05LK suspension kit almost a month ago and am extremely happy with the ride and handling. I have a bit of a vibe at 5-10 and again at 25-30. I used the carrier drop plate that ARB supplies with I am sure helped but has not made it completely smooth.

Today I had the wheels and tires swapped over and that is the primary reason for the post. Poser pics in the office lot... hey, at least there are trees!:)

Wheels are discussed above and the tires are LT265/70-17 E-rated Yokohama Geolander AT-S. I am very please with the look as well as the additional clearance and track that these wheels give. Sorry for crappy cell phone pic.
IMG-20130506-00139.jpgIMG-20130506-00137.jpg

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
side on view
IMG-20130506-00138.jpg

Now... Any thoughts on best slider step for a doublecab? Dear wife loves the look and ride... but is thinking a bit of a boost would be helpful. Not sure any slider is going to give her much support in that area.

Finlay... your thoughts on Adam's as a step would be helpful.

Finlay

Triarius
Those are sharp. And that lift is how the truck should come stock.

The ATO sliders I have work well as a step - especially the with the kickout. They stick out just enough to be useful without sticking out so far as to be a pain. I bought a can of rust-oleum truck bed liner spray paint which seems to work well at providing a non-slip surface.

I'll try and get some pics up on my build thread this evening.

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
Due to work commitments and travel, I was not able to meet up with the Midwest Overland Society and their planned trip to the Badlands and the Black Hills. I had been in contact several times with the trips leaders, and knew many of the roads they were planning to travel. Of course, they encountered inclement weather, busted equipment and sloppy conditions.

I made the trip west with my boys a week later. It was hot and dry... Couple of nights in the Badlands, a few more in and around Custer and the Park. 1664.6 miles, with over 100 of that on gravel tracks in the Badlands and the Black Hills. Averaged 15.8 mpg, which isn't half bad as I bucked a quartering South wind there and back, and TED doesn't really like trying to push 75 mph into a 20+ mph wind.

Boys had a blast... Must have done something right. They are already talking about next time.

Tacoma, tent and Noah's Tarp deployed... Badlands.
980917_710135025669721_1590231921_o.jpg

1237367_710136412336249_1230582750_o.jpg

Kitchen with a view...
1008669_710137392336151_913875098_o.jpg

So green!
52118_710137742336116_1864386522_o.jpg

Gratuitous...
857064_710134899003067_1538272315_o.jpg

It's just root beer, guys...
1243796_710149125668311_884155564_o.jpg

Did a few trails
1269476_710149375668286_1798078558_o.jpg

1262984_710149439001613_410842219_o.jpg

Saw some bison... and a BoxRocket
1277641_710152869001270_1678811795_o.jpg
1264540_710153242334566_46226563_o.jpg

Last edited:

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
Need some help in the arranging of thoughts department. Have been looking to rise up from the ground so to speak and either mount a RTT above the bed cover but still in the cab slipstream or perhaps start a trailer build. Buddy had an M416 for sale, and it is solid but I have seen the kind of money that can be thrown at these things and wonder if I wouldn't be better off with an E1 or an A-liner type set up. Tho there is a lot to be said about a single unit set up as well.

It's that time of the year when I start to think about spending some of my bonus...

TravelTacoma

Observer
Thought Process Assistance

I understand your dilemma all too well. We just recently made the swap from a JK to a '13 4x4 TRD DCSB Tacoma, so I have been thinking about going the RTT in the bed route as well. The difference is that we also have a '13 Adventure Trailer Chaser that I purchased to make the JK a more camping-friendly platform. Not much room in the Jeep after adding myself, the wife, and two large dogs and it didn't handle additional weight very well at all due to not having any power from the 3.8L.

When I bought the new truck I casually let it slip to the wife that I was going to put the trailer up for sale because we didn't really "need" it anymore as it had become obsolete with the new truck's ability to carry a RTT in the bed. It was the first time that my wife stood her ground on any of MY purchases! She basically told me that if I got rid of the trailer that she wouldn't go camping with me anymore and I would be sleeping in the RTT situated in my truck bed perpetually!

All kidding aside, an expedition trailer makes sense - even if you have the ability to do without it. It's very convenient to have the trailer 90% loaded and ready to go at any given time. Our RTT works extremely well on the Chaser and the trailer has NEVER been a limiting factor in our travels. My wife loves the trailer and has grown attached to it over the past 8 or so months that we've had it. I truly feel like it has been the driving force behind our more frequent trips since we've had it and that is what is truly important. There's a lot to be said for not having to load everything up when you want to just head out spontaneously after work on any random Friday afternoon.

My vote is to go with the trailer. You won't regret it.

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
Spent a nice day a few weeks ago running around with a buddy of mine on some private property looking at trails and looking for some birds. He took a nice pic of my truck out in a bean field.
photo 5.jpg

Also had a chance to look at and buy a very nice M416. March of 1966. Johnson Furnace built. Thanks to this site and those in MOS for helping me lighten my wallet a bit more...
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Just need to get the weather to straighten up a bit and get it home. Have started to pull together the steel for the lid and will be adding a CVT Mt. Shasta or Mt. Rainier to a Yakima rack on the lid. Very excited about the prospect of hook on and go weekends...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior