2009 Tacoma DCSB Sport - Preparing as a Minnesota Expo-Lite rig.

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
Hi, My name is Robb. And I am a Toyota owner.

Actually a long term Toyota truck owner as the list has included an 84 FJ60, a 91 ExtraCab, a 97 T100 (my favorite, really), an 03 Tundra Access and now my 09 DCSB.

5410_1203868705649_1496574710_554028_1882987_n.jpg

The photo is the day I brought it home and I have really enjoyed it ever since. It is within an inch in nearly every dimension that the 97 T100 was but has extra doors :wings: but it also lacks much of the truck feel that the T100 had. I have done some "city truck" upgrades; OEM roof rack, Access AgriCover, Avid front bar and the rear springs were updated with the TSB. This has all certainly helped.

So as I think down the road and spending time with my two sons in the woods and the north country of Minnesota, outfitting the truck to be a great daily driver and a capable, safe and ease of use rig comes to mind. So many of the rigs on this site (awesome site, awesome rigs...:bowdown:) seem to be used in the desert and the rocks and set up as dedicated Expo rigs where they do not have to endure the 4-6 months of winter's worst here in Minnesota. I am meticulous about maintenance, and a clean truck is a happy truck. A little trail pin-striping can be rubbed out, but I will not be bashing this up a rock ledge, and I will unlikely to run this thru or across a stream. My big concern is the snow and salt that is applied to the roads here in Minnesota, where they seem to have forgotten how to use a plow, and prefer to treat things chemically.

So... my plan and then some concerns... and then your comments.

I am considering the OME lift with 885s in front and the full CS047R pack in the rear. I am considering the ARB deluxe bar in the front, as deer strikes here are common, and had too near misses this fall, but I am thinking that due to salt and corrosion concerns, I would like to have the bar modified to accept a receiver mounted winch. I have scoured this site and others and found little on how a winch fares when exposed the elements. I like the All-Pro slider steps https://www.allprooffroad.com/05tacomatrailarmor/05tacomarocksliders but am very careful about additional Tire size will be moderate, most likely an A/T in the 265/70/17 but I am not looking to go to a 285 size. I am intrigued by an above bed mounted RTT from the ease of set up, off the ground and ready to go aspect but it need to be easily removed and I am not interested in carrying around a rack, and really enjoy the privacy and aerodynamics I get from my Access bedcover. I also want to be able to potentially store certain recovery gear and camping gear under the cover out of sight and out of the elements. I travel quite a bit for business, and the truck spend some time out of my sight... needs it to be discrete.

So... let the games begin.

JP5EDC

Welcome! I'm quite new here too and just picked up a 4Runner in October.

Did you or are you going to get an "undercoat" treatment? I've heard more negative than positive about this polarizing topic. I've never done it before and prefer to just keep it clean with underbody washes - but maybe it's worth it??

Finlay

Triarius
Nice ride!

If you go with an ARB on the front, you'll want the 886 springs. Same lift, but a but sturdier. I'll be doing that to my truck in a few months.

I've got a couple friends who have winches permanently installed in the bumpers and besides some extra maintenance and care, they seem to hold up well.

As for a RTT/rack system. The rack on my truck is pretty easily removable. Other rack systems like the Xsportster and so on are likewise removable. But you're right, it's a bag of compromises - whatever you choose is going to limit your other choices.

I've been running the BFG AT at 265/70 and have been pretty happy with them.

I dunno if it's your thing, but the Midwest Overland Society meets in Minneapolis every week. A few group trips and lots of talking about trucks and good fun all around.

robert

Expedition Leader
I'd definitely go with the 886 coils if you plan to run an ARB bar- especially if you will have a winch on it. Ive got the Access Cab with an ARB and Warn XD9000 and it settled a little after a while- the double cab is heavier. You'll definitely loose the car-like ride, but it's not bad at all. You can run the 265s with the OME lift no problem but 285s would require some mods.

Just a thought here but you mentioned the truck will be a daily driver- those sliders may stick out further than you want for the rear seat passengers, especially if they're kids. It's a trade off, but catching your foot/boot heel on the slider every time you get out is a pain as is banging your shins into them. If they are dirty you'll also drag your pants on them which pretty much sucks when you're going to work. I went with narrower sliders for this reason. If I rock-crawled or did hard-core off-roading I'd have gotten something wider but I don't so I didn't.

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I appreciate the responses and the advice. This is a lot of money to spend on a truck that really functions quite well in most all circumstances I have thrown at it. I see this as an enhancement with a nod towards an increase in capability. I can only dream about building a dedicated expo rig. Just not in the cards.

My short term NEED is new tires. I'd like to go from the 265/65s to 265 or 275/70/17s on the stock or perhaps FJ wheels. I'd like to get that done before the snow flies but who knows. The bumper is a want... perhaps a NEED down the road about a year, depending on how an increase in ride height and new tires makes the truck perform. Now... if I could orchestrate a deer strike that would peel away the stock bumper and maybe a headlight housing but not cause any real body damage... then maybe insurance could... well, anyways.

Those of you running 886 coils w/out a plate bumper or winch, is the ride up front harsh or do you see CV issues now or in the future? I don't see a real difference in the photos or threads on other forums in 885 or 886 w/out a bumper in ride height. Seems the real difference comes when you add extra load to the front coils.

I am on the fence... do I buy the 886 in anticipation that I am going to add a bumper in the future, and live with a harsher ride due to the increase in spring rate w/out the extra weight. Or do I go 885x and then when the bumper comes I can add a top plate spacer if need be. The truck is an 09 DCSB V6 4wd with 30K on the clock, w/ TSB on rear springs. It is way too soft, tho the TSB leaf certainly helped. Still, everyone knows the Toyota OEM suspension is too car like and I can measure a full inch in decrease of height to the front fender lip over a new like truck on the dealers lot.

Robert, thanks for the note on the sliders. No one in my family is blessed with height. I'd like a nice set of sliders that doubles as a running board/ step to get to stuff on the roof rack as well as ease entrance for the Mrs. and the kids, but understand the pant leg thing. In Minnesota, there is a lot that can cling to them.

Last edited:

robert

Expedition Leader
I'm short of leg too- Scottish ancestory I guess. I still have to step over mine a bit, but not bad. I actually put grip tape on top with the intention of being able to use them to access the roof but after the first time I stepped out wearing shorts I took all but the very back section off- ouch. I went with some from Beefed (he's on TacomaWorld in the vender's section) and have been happy with them but there are plenty of good manufacturers out there.

As for the 886s without the extra weight on the front, I think it will ride pretty harsh to be honest with you. I've had some folks complain about the way my truck rides and I've got the extra 200lbs out front. I prefer my trucks to ride like a truck so it doesn't bother me. I also think you'll have some front/rear rake and will need the OME AALs to bring the rear up; this of course will make it ride stiffer in the rear too unless you have some weight back there. I went ahead and ordered the AALs when I ordered my lift but I haven't put them in yet and don't think I will unless I decide I need more height. Since I've already got some rubbing on my CV boots I doubt I will. With all that said though, each truck seems to be a bit different; even with my OME lift I'm still not sitting as high as some of the trucks I've seem. Really I'm barely any higher than some of the stock 4wd and prerunner trucks. No idea why; my last Tacoma wasn't as high as some others with similar lifts either.

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
Anyone know whether one of the forum sponsors sells on Amazon or not? I have a bunch of award $$$$$ from work that I can spend on Amazon and such and it would be great if I could get gear for my truck. Short of calling different vendors, not sure how I'd find out.

Robert, thanks for the note. More later.

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
Well... Friday I got a new Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 4g LTE from Verizon on a Black Friday sale... and from the notes here it looks like it will be a great device to use BCN on as well as use for a media device. I know others here have mixed reviews but I have nothing but good things to say about my Garmin nuvi 2460 and there isn't a fire road in the Chippewa National Forest that I have been on that isn't on it but YMMV.... but I expect this will be much better and be a more purposeful device. Finlay...your review was certainly helpful.

Then this morning... Cyber Monday... I ordered this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LQEHIA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00 but it was at $899.95 plus shipping. Only 2 left.. they dropped the price on the Wish List alert. I nabbed it and now they bumped it up. So 885s front and Dakar rear. It is AMAZING the amount of info... sometimes quite contradictory info... that can be found on the "inter-web" on the OME lift and the associated inches, ride, spacers, etc. My reasoning is I can add the clearance and load capacity I need now and upgrade tires. The Sport suspension is tired already. Generally I find that ground to bottom of flare on front I am 1- 1.5 lower than other trucks out there. When I add the front ARB i can survey the damage and determine if an upgrade to 886 is needed.

Last edited:

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
Just got confirmation that it shipped! But how can the estimated delivery date be December 3rd thru the 18th?????

Really quite psych'd! One of my (only) complaints with the Tacoma is the suspension system. I spent a fair amount of time researching on TTORA and Tacomaworld the differences between the Sport and Off Road suspension systems before I bought my truck... that said, the sexy Speedway Blue and hood scoop eventually pushed me over the top. I still believe that the Sport is a better tow rig than the Off Road out of the box... but that can certainly be debated. Even after the rear spring TSB there were times loaded or towing that the rear springs weren't completely up to the task.

So here is the question. Anyone know the difference in the rear OME springs for a Tacoma and a Hilux? Said another way... other than the boxed frame, what makes the Hilux a "1-tonner"? It isn't a full floater in the rear. I would venture a guess that the boxed frame and the steel bed add to the curb weight of the Hilux, but really don't contribute to the GVWR or payload capacity. Make me go hmmmmmm....

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
Bought a new to me tent last night to add to my gear. Cabela's Westwind four person tent. Came off of CL. Guy was setting it up on his front lawn as I showed up and said it had only been used once... certainly looked like he had never set it up before. Most of the stakes had never been shoved into the ground. I am really impressed by the seams, the floor, and the vestibule on this tent, tho others have had issues with some of the poles splitting. When I got it home I set it up in the garage and the boys love it.

I have a two-man TNF Windy Pass that I have had since high school, and a couple of large Target Eddie Bauer tents that we love when it is all five off us... but this looks like it will be perfect just for the boys and I. Canned photo off Cabela's site attached.

s7_519376_999_01.jpg

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
Update... and not to be outdone.

So... I neglected to inform my lovely bride that there would be some heavy things coming in the mail. And honestly, she is sort of used to it and the UPS guy just sticks it in the garage and all is good anyways. But I get home Friday and she says there is a really heavy box in the garage and the UPS guy says Happy Holidays. So I head on out, surprised that the kit could be here already... but there it is... sort of. The single box had all of the items except the leaf springs. It was a heavy box... 1 of 1 package... but it was not, obviously all that I was expecting.

Quick call to the vendor gets the obligatory Friday after closing hours voicemail. Go to Amazon and log a Complaint/Concern. Recheck the order... yes, it specifically say "leaf springs". Geesch... did I just get hosed trying to save a couple of hundred bucks????:mad:

This am, I got a call that the leaf springs will be coming in a separate order direct from the manufacturer and may be 2 - 3 weeks because the vendor has them on back order. I question who the vendor is, and they tell me it is ARB. There are no CS047Rs in the States in the ARB order system. I ask how can you list something for sale if you don't have the product actually ready to ship? Answer... we do it all the time. Never has been a problem before.... :Wow1:

Anyone have any visibility to this? I was hoping to use some time during the Christmas Holiday season to take a little time off and get these on the truck. Now... maybe not. It did come with the N140S fronts and N182 rears. Everything is new, in OME Nitrocharger boxes etc.

Anyone heard or ARB having trouble getting stuff into the country?

Finlay

Triarius
Damn, that sucks. Thanks for the heads up. I guess I'm gonna have to get on the stick and get parts ordered well before I need to have the work done.

You should be fine with the 885s. If you're not adding a steel bumper, you shouldn't need the 886s.

The main thing to watch for is getting the alignment dialed in. Some people need to replace the UCAs to get back to spec, especially on caster. It's sort of hit or miss, so like you, I'm going to hope for the best when I order my lift, and do the UCAs only if I need to.

That tent looks slick as hell. A RTT is better though - you get an extra 37 seconds of terror while the bear climbs up to eat you. :D

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
Got an update from Amazo on the CS047R OME rear springs... They still do not have a shipping confirmation and tracking number from ARB. Apologies... apologies... never has happened before.

Looks like it may not be as an uplifting Christmas as I had originally hoped.

As a side note... I have been beating up the search engines looking at camp boxes. Thinking I'd like to get one just big enuf to hold the Coleman 2 burner on top, but small enuf that it will fit under the Access AgriCover. There are lots of great examples on this site. Amazing what some folks haul around with them.

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
Finlay... re:UCA I am hoping that I don't run into some of the troubles others have. Seems such a mixed bag when you lift/ re-spring these trucks. It is difficult to work thru all of the variables that others have had experience with... vibration, CV issues, alignment.

It seemed the best choice to work with a complete system to start with that others have had few issues with and has the full backing and faith of the folks at ARB. It isn't their first rodeo. And their experience with Toyota trucks in an overlanding context is unparalleled. The components that were delivered are certainly robust enough. Can't wait to see the rear leafs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94