2010 Suzuki SX4 Crossover AWD, CVT

gingermark

I picked this little car up in 2018 with 72k on it for $4,000. So far, it's been a great little off road capable overlander that gets 25/31mpg. And averages over 20 on the trail.
The list of modifications:

RRO 2.125" strut and spring spacer lift. So far no issues and the driving experience hasn't changed. This brought the ground clearance to about 9".

Primitive Racing 3/16" front skid and rear diff armor. Had to do a little hammer work to stop the front plate from rubbing on the exhaust. (It took about 10 minutes)

Yokohama Geolander GO15 215/65/R16. I know people have put taller and wider tires on the SX4, but wider is no help to a car this light, and taller reduces power in a car with little to spare and a CVT. I still added another .5" with these tires bringing clearance up to about 9.5". The only thing I could do better is go to 15" rims so I have more rubber.

Full sized spare that fits into the original spare tire well along with all of my tools and recovery gear.

14" Harbor Freight light bar attached directly to the front bumper cowl above the license plate. I wired it into the existing fog light wiring. The car has no fog lights but the harness is all there. Just needed to buy the OEM switch and relay. Going to see if I like it. The fog lights only come on with the low beams currently.

LED Amber button lights in the rear hatch. They light the trunk and about an 8' area around the rear of the car when the hatch is open.

Several USB and power ports. Most notably the USB port to the left of the steering wheel. This lets me use a foot long cable to charge my phone which is in a RAM mount screwed to the A pillar.

Future improvements:

Maybe rock sliders

Maybe trim front bumper, add bull bar and additional skid plate to improve approach angle.

Android Auto capable stereo.

Suggestions?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
I too looked for a while to try and find a manual version of this car. They were either beat to crap and or had miles through the roof. It is too bad that more companies did not follow the lead of the sx4 AWD system. Being able to switch on and of and into auto/fwd is brilliant. A lot of the cross overs have sort of something like it out there but none of them give you this level of control. It honnestly reminded me of the old chevy 4x4, rwd, auto selection system.

Got any pictures of the little beast? would love to see the build. Either way good luck and happy trails.

gingermark

I too looked for a while to try and find a manual version of this car. They were either beat to crap and or had miles through the roof. It is too bad that more companies did not follow the lead of the sx4 AWD system. Being able to switch on and of and into auto/fwd is brilliant. A lot of the cross overs have sort of something like it out there but none of them give you this level of control. It honnestly reminded me of the old chevy 4x4, rwd, auto selection system.

Got any pictures of the little beast? would love to see the build. Either way good luck and happy trails.
I'll get some pics up tomorrow. I took a chance with the CVT. I immediately flushed the CVT fluid. I use the manual shift feature when off road. Good so far. Couldn't pass up the 72k miles.

gingermark

Custom Rally build. They are great rally cars. Not great for overlander, though.

To clarify, the rally build is not good for overlander. The car itself is a great micro overlander.

Also, it's been raining buckets here in SoCal, so pictures will have to wait. I'll be in Palm Springs this weekend. Maybe I'll get some good photo ops parked on a rock somewhere.

gingermark

Pictures of my rig.
f63300c5e089cd7d68b9cd4fa1b87e92.jpg
1f5d44e02f1dcb3b979c528b7277d709.jpg
95ccab68de3d613f4ba91f036d1453f9.jpg

gingermark

Sub floor in rear with full sized spare, tools, and recovery gear
5c06fea8e7ad5497ef3944c32978b817.jpg
c0b1b8f7a924f388bcd0b509c26dcdc1.jpg
461664a6fe9af0a62ce408b82d6fb6ce.jpg

Last edited:

mnewxcv

Observer
Only suggestion would be figure out a way to secure the rear floor over your tools, otherwise all of those things could fly around in the event of an accident/rollover. I know that would be the exception, but it is always better to be prepared for any situation.

gingermark

Only suggestion would be figure out a way to secure the rear floor over your tools, otherwise all of those things could fly around in the event of an accident/rollover. I know that would be the exception, but it is always better to be prepared for any situation.
True thing. I will be adding anchors to it. Also need to reinvent the hold down for the spare. I have it upside down so I can use it for storage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94