2011-2015 Canter/Fuso dual range transfer case swap possible?

Spoony

Hi everyone,

Great forum, loads of great info and awesome setups and builds.
I've got my eye on a 2012 All Terrain Warriors Canter/Fuso bus as a build platform, however sadly this model has no low range. Does anyone know if it's possible to fit a dual range transfer from either an earlier or later model?

Cheers

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
It's possible, but how deep are your pockets?

Much will also depend on your location, you're more than likely in Aus, but if you're in NA, then it really gets problematic.

Spoony

Brisbane Australia, my pockets, mmmmm not super deep. Sounds like you're talking 5 figure costs?

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Well, you're actually in a much better position, used-parts-wise, than we are in the USA. So you have that going for you.

The basic line up changed, I think, around 2010.5. Later years should be compatible, but it also depends on whether or not you have to change out the gearbox. If you have the Duonic, then plan on getting a manual box, and I think you'll also be looking at some ECM programming differences. Wiring harness might also be another issue. Frames should (!) be compatible, mounting holes should already be there, etc.

Basic I think you're looking at is the xfer box, driveshafts, mounts, ECM issues, harness, xfer controls.

I'd start asking around in breakers for parts, and then start planning.

Do you have the workshop manuals? If so, take a look in there to familiarize with the differences.

If I could have done it for less than $30k or so here in the USA, I would have done it, but it's far too pricy here.

Spoony

It's a rare thing indeed when things are cheaper in Australia vs the USA !
Thanks for all the info, it does seem quite involved with possible complications. I'll look into it further but perhaps an earlier model would be a simpler option.

Cheers
Dan.

Spoony

I've confirmed that in the single range example i'm talking about the engine (4P10) and gearbox (MO38) is the exact same as newer dual range models. So in theory it should just bolt up. I have to confirm if the transfer cases are the same externally so bolt up the same, and attached to the fore and aft prop shafts also. The wrecker I talked to has had both come through so hopefully can help there. If the above all pans out then it would make sense that mechanically it's a bolt in/out situation.

All that's left is actuating Hi/Low range, are these electronic or pneumatic (vacuum) based in these vehicles? In either case it should be hard to rig up in cab operation.

Buckstopper

Adventurer
If anyone is interested in trying to swap a 2 speed T case from a 2005 FG I have one. A long and very expensive story but we replaced the transmission and the only way I could get a new one was with a new T Case married to it. The old T case along with the tranny is in Las Vegas, NV and has about 100k miles on it. No problems with it...the problem was with the tranny. PM me for more info.

Buckstopper.

chocko

Spoony , Just had a look under my Canter , the 4x4 and hi / low are vacuum operated at the rear of the box , the swap should be pretty straight foward , the box should bolt up with just a few wiring mods and vacuum lines and a bit of faffing around. Keep us updated if you do go ahead with the swap.

Spoony

Cheers for checking that out, yes vac operated should in theory make it 'fairly' simple. However I'm steering away from this idea, doing lots of sums it'll really stretch my budget and I'd rather have the cash to extend/continue travels and also stress less about finding any work on the road. That and the ATW ex bus rigs a pretty big, more bulky than I need really.

Andelles

Observer
I've confirmed that in the single range example i'm talking about the engine (4P10) and gearbox (MO38) is the exact same as newer dual range models. So in theory it should just bolt up. I have to confirm if the transfer cases are the same externally so bolt up the same, and attached to the fore and aft prop shafts also. The wrecker I talked to has had both come through so hopefully can help there. If the above all pans out then it would make sense that mechanically it's a bolt in/out situation.

All that's left is actuating Hi/Low range, are these electronic or pneumatic (vacuum) based in these vehicles? In either case it should be hard to rig up in cab operation.
aparantly the input sharft is different on the transfer side so im told if anyone knows different please lett me know

no37

Hi , am not sure how to start new topic... I have the Mitsubishi Fuso 2015 with single speed transfer box and am looking for dual speed transfer box . I live in the UK but am ready to buy worldwide as there is no chance to get it there. Do you know any places where to get it from? Any advices, please? Many Thanks Leon

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong here, but I am pretty sure that you would need to change the gearbox too if you want to add a transfer case.
Doable, but definitely not a cheap option, especially if you are also adding international freight to the cost.

Decanter

Adventurer
I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong here, but I am pretty sure that you would need to change the gearbox too if you want to add a transfer case.
Doable, but definitely not a cheap option, especially if you are also adding international freight to the cost.
So in AUS you have the 4P10 motor with a manual and dual range t-case? Is it a manual tranny? Please list the specs if you know them as my Fuso is a 4p10 motor with Duonic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
giobarra