2011 xterra low lift w 35s build and adventures

Smileyshaun

Observer
I have bounced around owning way to many different vehicles over the years replacing them because at the time they didn’t fit my needs , either they where to big or to small , to loud on road trips , got to many miles etc etc . I also have a bad habit of not leaving things stock one mod leads to another and before I know it I have another project on my hands . This time I wanted to buy something that would come as close as possible to Meeting all my needs . Manual transmission , 4x4 , enough rear leg room for the kids , factory locker . After a bit of test driving I found a great 109k 2011 manual transmission xterra pro4x . Other than needing a clutch it’s a pleasure to drive . Hoping to keep this one for a long time and have many enjoyable trips in it .
D05F17C5-297D-4B42-8CF6-0D247D32F29C.jpegCC3B637A-36AD-4C68-8880-BF5790BCC248.jpeg0C126546-5EAD-46E0-80CE-4BF4CF09F977.jpeg

trasko

Adventurer
That's exactly where I'm at. Mods: no thanks. Extra weight: meh. Rare, exotic, flash? Pass.

I'm pretty much right where I want to be except I want a short-bed Frontier. I've got a LWB crew cab Frontier with a hidden winch and recovery gear in a plastic tub. Manual transmission. That's the sort of adventure rig I'm in to these days. Have fun. Share pictures.

Mike W.

I'm on my 3rd Xterra..Mods on the first 2..Nothing on the latest addition. It's capable of doing everything we need it to do..Enjoy..

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I also have a bad habit of not leaving things stock one mod leads to another and before I know it I have another project on my hands .

Tell me all about it.....just because it doesn't have a strong aftermarket, do not be fooled. An Xterra don't fix that man. You might have the willpower to overcome it, but the Xterra won't do a single thing for it.

Congrats on the purchase, it's a great truck. Best year, transmission, and trim in the generation. I'm not biased at all.

Knock on wood my clutch is still fine at 130K. Previous owner must have not been a smooth shifter, I've heard the clutches on these do not tolerate drivers who don't treat them well.

Smileyshaun

Observer
Tell me all about it.....just because it doesn't have a strong aftermarket, do not be fooled. An Xterra don't fix that man. You might have the willpower to overcome it, but the Xterra won't do a single thing for it.

Congrats on the purchase, it's a great truck. Best year, transmission, and trim in the generation. I'm not biased at all.

Knock on wood my clutch is still fine at 130K. Previous owner must have not been a smooth shifter, I've heard the clutches on these do not tolerate drivers who don't treat them well.

Oh I’m not worried about aftermarket support I tend to not buy products I like to do my own fab work, but I don’t have the shop space anymore and time is a lot more limited than it used to be It’s more that my Offroad needs have changed. I don’t need a solid axle dual locked twin transfer case rig anymore I just need something that will drive down moderate trails and drive through deep snow . So it will get some upgrades down the road but for now it’s good enough for my needs .

Down the road the hopeful order of upgrades will be
Winch
Sliders
Rear tire carrier
Front locker
Tires

Smileyshaun

Observer
My debate on the winch is to make a winch mount behind the bumper or take the time to make a whole bumper . I guess I’ll have to wait till I get it out in the snow to see how bad the bumper drags.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
My debate on the winch is to make a winch mount behind the bumper or take the time to make a whole bumper . I guess I’ll have to wait till I get it out in the snow to see how bad the bumper drags.

I run a behind the bumper mount, love it. The plate bumpers are so heavy and will require you to do upgraded coilovers to keep the noise from dropping ridiculously, not that it's a bad idea to upgrade the suspension, it needs it, but it's one of those snowball effect mods you might rather do over time instead.

Smileyshaun

Observer
I can make a bumper and keep it fairly light ish . Probably make something along the lines of what I did for my grand Cherokee . The center was heavy but the wings where lighter . I think the whole thing minus the winch was 60-70 lbs .
977DA35E-E117-4CA8-9085-5492BCD00F3E.jpegABBD6F8F-AE43-43FA-B5E4-CBEC5D25B499.jpegDBF2CA9D-C2AA-438C-AD55-487DAB9A3376.jpeg

Smileyshaun

Observer
Bit tight fitting it in the townhouse garage ( my god I miss having a shop or at least a good sized garage ) . I do have to say part of me wishes I would have put a body lift on before pulling the trans , would have made the top bolts so much easier to get to . 147C2998-19BB-4E6E-BCB9-7C1135BC822F.jpegD4C15B47-76CD-43E1-A3B5-04F0915B8065.jpegD85C4D32-B1DE-4164-8E3E-31FF9B9A7A69.jpeg

broncobowsher

Adventurer
Love my '10 Xterra Off-road with manual. Bought it new, at 126k now and keeping it. Not knowing the history the clutch is the wild card. Since you are starting with a new one you know what you have.

Mods, skip them. Stock is very capable and very reliable. Never screw with modifying anything needed to make it run. Cold air kits that defeat the factory cold air intake, don't filter as well. Worst is the oversized intake tube that the MAF is in and throws off the calibration. Loud exhaust will suck in any long drive. Lifts kill fuel economy.

I have done a few little things. I do have an ARB fridge in the back, put a little solar panel on the roof to run it. The shocks were getting tired so some nice Bistien 6112 up front and matching in back. A bit overkill but the nicest I could find that were stock ride height. Found a no roof light panel to cut down on wind noise on my daily highway drives, I can add the lights in a few minutes if I think I may want them on any given weekend.

The front differential is open, but don't let that fool you. It has a very nice ABS/traction control/limited slip function. If you get a little tire slip, hold the throttle or maybe add a little to it. Sounds wrong, but that little tire slip will have the computer cycling the brakes and that open front differential will do amazing things.

Smileyshaun

Observer
Love my '10 Xterra Off-road with manual. Bought it new, at 126k now and keeping it. Not knowing the history the clutch is the wild card. Since you are starting with a new one you know what you have.

Mods, skip them. Stock is very capable and very reliable. Never screw with modifying anything needed to make it run. Cold air kits that defeat the factory cold air intake, don't filter as well. Worst is the oversized intake tube that the MAF is in and throws off the calibration. Loud exhaust will suck in any long drive. Lifts kill fuel economy.

I have done a few little things. I do have an ARB fridge in the back, put a little solar panel on the roof to run it. The shocks were getting tired so some nice Bistien 6112 up front and matching in back. A bit overkill but the nicest I could find that were stock ride height. Found a no roof light panel to cut down on wind noise on my daily highway drives, I can add the lights in a few minutes if I think I may want them on any given weekend.

The front differential is open, but don't let that fool you. It has a very nice ABS/traction control/limited slip function. If you get a little tire slip, hold the throttle or maybe add a little to it. Sounds wrong, but that little tire slip will have the computer cycling the brakes and that open front differential will do amazing things.

I am sure the ABS system does a fine job but call me old school I hate ABS and traction control. My plans are definitely to a put an air locker in the front , I like to keep things slow and controlled and limiting my wheel slippage to keep from tearing up the trails . My favorite off-road is definitely snow wheeling so I want traction all four corners whenever I choose, Nothing is more infuriating then trying to make your progress through deep snow and the ABS and traction control keep your tires from spinning and gaining new traction.....it’s the worst !!!!LOL

Smileyshaun

Observer
Got it all back together and on the road , no off-road yet just some gravel roads and nice little drives enjoying some fall colors . Also the fiancé found out the door bottle holder is perfect for a bottle of wine . 7174D1F7-C2F7-43BB-AE38-EEBA49F1C00B.jpeg62600233-D037-4CB7-BA70-CA6726AE2B51.jpeg3BA5F0A5-65BF-4E9A-AF1E-F7164A629190.jpegB0E1A87C-DBF8-4006-9CDC-1306B3AB13A5.jpeg2D563FF4-9920-4F15-8619-745EC5BF0DE5.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles