2012 FGB72 stuck in limp mode

Abitibi

Explorer
Hi guys

I found a 2012 FG140 for sale for a bargain but truck has emission problems and is stuck in limp mode.

I don't have additional details aside from the truck was regularly used for very short trips (1 mile) at slow speed. Seems like mechanics and dealer have not been able to figure it out.

Is this some typical issues with a solution that has been overlooked by the dealer or mechanics? I would be happy to get myself on a cheap FG140 !!!

Thanks
David

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Are you sure it's a FG140? Does it have the 4.9L 4M50 engine, or is it a 3.0L engine?
The FG84 (the Australian equivalent) ceased production in late 2010.

Abitibi

Explorer
It's the American version with the 3.0 and all the DEF crap.

Dealer couldn't figure it out and for some reason put a new turbo. Local mechanic changed the SCR and it ran good for a day then went back to limp mode. Regen cycle isn't helping either...

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
In that case I am pretty sure it is a FGB72, not a FG140. As I said... the FG140/FG84 has the 4.9L 4M50 engine.
Does it have the Duonic automatic gearbox? If it does, then it won't have low range either.
The FG140/FG84 normally has a 5 speed manual with a low range transfer case.

A search of this forum will show you that there were a lot of issues with the early model FGB72s.
And if I remember correctly, there were numerous recalls, primarily around the emissions systems, and a 100% replacement of all of these early Duonic gearboxes.
The dealer should know if all of the recall mods have been done, but given the issues you describe, I am guessing not.
The initial FGB72 was definitely not the most reliable of models.

Abitibi

Explorer
Then you are right, I didn't realize the change of model with the different engines.

To be honest I think the truck for sale has a great price, $13k usd with only 68,000miles but I may still wait to find an older one (2010 or 2007 gen).

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
As I mentioned previously, you should search this forum regarding the FGB72 issues before making a purchase of this model.
That truck might be going for what seems like a good price, but if it is not reliable you could be up for lots more in order to fix it.
There are people on this forum that have spent thousands and had lots of frustration trying to resolve similar issues.

My personal opinion is that the FG140/FG84, with the 4M50 engine, was the best Fuso model overall, but it does have a common rail engine, so that means it has a high dependency on electronics, which some will argue is a definite negative.
Models prior to the FG140/FG84 (FG64x and FG63x series) have a lot less technology, so they can handle different fuels and are much simpler to diagnose problems, which can be a big benefit if your plans are to travel to less advanced parts of the planet.
Basically... it comes down to what you want to do with your truck and where you want to take it.

LoupGarou

Mitsubishi is pulling out of the NA market. The dealer service network is quickly shrinking. Is a Mitsubishi dealer looking at it? They should be able to look at the codes.

You’re saying that performing a manual regeneration cycle didn’t clear the faults and silence the alarm.

It’s important that you shut the truck off and physically remove the key from the ignition after the manual regeneration has completed. Then wait at least 5 minutes before reinserting the key and restarting the truck. The manual regeneration cycle is like pressing the cntrl/alt/delete keys on a computer to do a hardware reset.

If the truck spent a lot of time idling the DOC, which is the front half of the DPF could be surface plugged. Along with the DPF differential pressure switch and the steel lines connected to it. The DOC and the DPF are a single unit on the Canter. A replacement DOC/DPF unit will run $3k. The DOC/DPF is not a serviceable item.

The proper engine oil and weight, burning biodiesel 5% or less also makes a difference. Buying a used diesel, even from the big three, is a crap shoot as you don’t know how it was serviced.

Last edited:

LoupGarou

While I’m thinking about it. The DEF nozzle that plugs into the SCR will eventually crust over. You can pull it out and clean the crust off with distilled water. Use NO solvents.

Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
Thanks all for the great information, comes really handy for a potential new Fuso owner.

Since I'm not in a rush as I already have a pretty decent overland rig I'm going to wait to find the right platform.

I typically run all my vehicles on WVO, even my Ford 6.0 so I'm fairly confident I could figure it out on the newer Fuso. But it is much simpler on older technology so all depends on what shows up for sale.

There's now a much nicer 2008 for sale by my place, looks really clean and only 27k miles and fully deleted but price is up there...

I realize 2008 isn't the 1 eye unicorn but still better than the later 2010 model? Does it still have the manual tranny & Hi/Low range?

For some reason I'm having a hard time finding proper specs and details for the Fuso changes over the years. Loads of contradicting info (just read an article saying the 2008 US model only came with auto tranny...)

As suggested I will also look for the older units (2004 and older) as they would be a better platform for wvo conversion but my guess is there aren't many nice ones that will show up for sale...

Thanks again!
David

Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
By Canter do you also mean Fuso? Asking as there's seem to be quite a lot of difference between JDM/AU and North American models for the same years.

On my end, my options are either a local Fuso or a 2007 and older JDM Canter.

I should really start a new thread as there's tons of good info being shared here but no longer related to a limp mode...

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
It's just a bit of history...
Mitsubishi build the Canter and that is how it was initially sold, as a Mitsubishi Canter. The truck side of Mitsubishi was at some point taken over by Daimler Truck (Mercedes Benz) and then sold as a Fuso Canter.
Simple as that...

My FG84 has compliance plates that say it is a Mercedes Benz, but it has a 3 pointed Mitsubishi star on the front of the truck. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke