2012 Ram 5500 Custom Camper (Earthroamer with a good diesel :-))

lostih

Observer
We love our truck, but are going to sell it to finance a farm expansion. Lots of good memories and a great rig.

Here are the specs:

2012 Ram 5500 4x4 Crew Cab 84" CA 122k miles
6.7 Cummins
Head Gasket and Studs replaced at 110k
DEF and DPF delete (and stock parts if you need)
6 spd G56 trans
Southbend clutch
4.44 gears
Super singles
Hutchinson forged two piece aluminum wheels
315/85R20 MPT81's
Front full air suspension
Rear 1 ton springs with Firestone air bags (these aren't overload bags, but actual suspension bags)
Hellwig rear sway bar
Bilstein shocks
Trail Ready Bumper
Amp Research Power Step XL's
4 Protech under body storage boxes
52 gallon fuel tank

Custom Camper
11'6" x 3' slide
Rear Hybrid fold out queen bed
Tankless hot water heater (Propane)
Suburban heater (Propane)
Dometic Fridge/Freezer (Propane/120v)
3 burner propane cooktop/oven
Magnum 600W inverter
2 6V house batteries
LED lighting
Rooftop AC (only on shore power)
12' Electric Awning
Interior and Exterior speakers
40 Gallon fresh water
28 Gallon gray water
Composting toilet
Camper is panelized construction (filon/plywood/eps/plywood)

This truck is set up great for family adventuring. The built in bunk beds for our kiddos (60" long) as well as the queen bed are accessible and easy to use with the slide in. You can fold out the rear bed as well for more sleeping area. With the slide out there is a MASSIVE amount of room on the interior. We have loved this camper. We did an 8500 mile trip in it this summer and were ready to keep going...lots of space and creature comforts. Its roughly 29' long, 12'6" high and 8'2" wide. While much of this camper is custom built, the base was a 2017 Forest River 21ss bumper pull trailer (slide, appliances, etc) that I seriously modified for putting on the truck. The goal in the build was to get something similar to an Earthroamer that we could travel in for extended periods of time while accessing some back country at a non-Earthroamer price point. This rig has worked splendidly for that.

You can see the build thread here: Beefcake's Build

More pics on Instagram: @beefcakes_adventures

Interior pics are hard to capture. Here's a video tour done by my son:
Located in Washougal, WA just outside Portland, OR.

$80,000 OBO SOLD.

Attachments

• idside.jpg
    idside.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,018
  • reartent.jpg
    reartent.jpg
    811.4 KB · Views: 2,005
  • IMG-5124.JPG
    IMG-5124.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,952
  • LRG-DSC01590.JPG
    LRG-DSC01590.JPG
    273.2 KB · Views: 1,750
Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
Sad to see you sell it, but looking forward to what your next build brings!

Ps. Sell me the wheels before you sell it!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

supermoo

Observer
Great looking rig, with a great motor behind it! I am interested in your truck/camper for sale. Possible to PM me some images of the interior?

lostih

Observer
A few folks have asked for interior pics. Grabbed these real quick. Hasn’t had its full scrubbing yet for winterizing. The pano is included to get an idea for the space...but ignore the distortion that makes the molding look super bumpy...
C5104136-D23B-4D4F-AD95-B10F2C8A9318.jpeg

F48D7AB1-EB35-4C62-9735-FB8A1E835E76.jpeg
BA5DD24F-4B60-413E-875E-828CBD41D07D.jpeg
069432A0-B3C7-406B-B90D-C76DFAF2C0F8.jpeg

lucilius

Great looking rig. Is the tranny the AS68RC? What airbag system are you using/what is the weight rating per bag?

lostih

Observer
The tranny is the g56 6speed manual.

I’m using a custom airbag system with Firestone bags for weight rating. I think they are around 4K lbs per bag if I remember correctly.

lucilius

Ah, of course. I should've read your ad more closely, i assumed all 550's were aisin automatic. Could you drive your truck without the airbags i.e. just on the leafs or do you need the airbags all the time? If you get a chance, and it is no trouble, I would be very interested to learn the model number for the bags so I could look them up and see how much they cost, how replacing them would work, etc. I know some folks run all air suspensions and love it but I kind of look at airbags like additional tires and figure I'd better have spares and be able to swap them out on the side of the road, in bad weather, etc. Would vastly prefer a leaf and airbag combo like yours versus relying on just air.

lostih

Observer
It looks like the airbag part numbers are 358-5311 and 358-5712. They aren’t that expensive...I think about $175 each. In the rear I drive it with essentially no air in them when it’s unloaded. For the front the bags replace the spring so have to run them there. I still have stock front and rear springs that will go with the truck if you want to switch them.

lostih

Observer
Truck is going into the shop next week for new dual disk clutch and transfercase chain. Dropping price to $80k.

Bostongeorge7

Hey, really love this rig, its basically everything i have been looking at building myself. How would it fair in colder weather, how is the insulation and location of the tanks, i very interested but being from the north that would be my major concern. Thanks in advance!

lostih

Observer
The tanks are external, but do have heat pads on them. If I were doing lots of cold weather I’d just move the freshwater inside and then I think you’d be good. Roof is 4” of polyiso and walls are 1.5” I believe. Floor is 2”.

lostih

Observer
Replaced the clutch with a South bend unit and serviced tcase as well. Loading up this week and heading for Baja if anyone along the way is interested in taking a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles