2013 Dakar

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
you can guess who I'm cheering for. I'm curious if any of the other drivers jumped the presentation platform?
[video=youtube;6xhwRMT-RCo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6xhwRMT-RCo[/video]

I was waiting for him to jump and come right through the platform, can you imagine?

Very excited to watch. Got the DVR set to record today.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I was waiting for him to jump and come right through the platform, can you imagine?

Very excited to watch. Got the DVR set to record today.

I got Robbie Gordons autograph in the early ninties on a Rough Riders poster, had that thing for years 'til I got married. Then in the late ninties I got to see him and his trophy truck one Thanksgiving at Glamis. That dude is one serious racer.:wings: Hope he does well this year.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Yeah, i know the feeling.... here's an old shot of me standing next to Robby's Trophy truck in his first year :D

robby.jpg

zolo

Explorer
Lots of love here for Robby...

The dude is good at 2 things... Crashing his truck, and losing his temper.

Sorry not a Gordon fan. Im a hater... You guys can hate on me now its cool.

haven

Expedition Leader
Red Bull's team in this year's Dakar is two custom buggies. They are driven by Carlos Sainz and Nasser Al-Attiyah, both former rally winners. Even though the team is racing an all-new vehicle this year, Saintz won the first and second stages this year, and Al-Attiyah won today's fourth stage.

The Red Bull team's chief competitor is the Mini team. They won the overall race last year, and are just as strong this year. Mini driver Stéphane Peterhansel holds the overall lead due to his consistently high finishes each day. Al-Attiyah is in second place, 5 minutes back.

Unfortunately, Sainz's vehicle suffered electrical problems on the third and fourth stages, and now is well behind the leaders.

Here's a video that shows a little bit about the 2013 Red Bull Qatar racing team (loads slowly at times).
http://www.redbull.com/en/motorsports/offroad/episodes/1331579050286/red-bull-qatar-profile

bob91yj

Resident **************
Lots of love here for Robby...

The dude is good at 2 things... Crashing his truck, and losing his temper.

Sorry not a Gordon fan. Im a hater... You guys can hate on me now its cool.

Checkers or wreckers, that's Robby for you. No worries on the hating, he's the guys people love to hate. His Baja team used to stay at the same hotel as the BFG Pit Crew's. Talking to his crew over a beer you'd think half of them hate the guy too!

I'm a Robby fan for one stupid reason, the first Trophy Truck I ever saw racing in Baja was Robby coming over a hill a mile or so away and watching him come blazing past the BFG Pit in Erindura in the '05 Baja 500. I was immediately hooked on desert racing. Haven't missed a 500 or 1000 since, either chasing or working a BFG pit.

I'd say Robby is done for this years event. Not sure about that pic, you'd think Robby and his co dog would be using catheters.

Hoping Sainz does well in his Damon Jeffries built cars. They're ugly as hell, but seem to be getting the job done.

Last edited:

zolo

Explorer
My post was confirmed after stage 4 "flippin" Robby Gorden crashes his truck....

I think Sainz will do well. Although everyone seems to be having navigation issues this year. Bikes and cars.

I'm pulling for Francisco "Chaleco" Lopez, a Chilean rider who has my respect big time. Following the bikes mainly for this reason.
Chaleco crashed big time in 2011 at Tunisian Rally and he came back to Dakar in 2012 and won a stage and rode hard till another crash in stage 8.
So he is very motivated and is a self made pro racer that all of Chile have gotten behind and it would be great to see the guy ride into Santiago in first place. He is by all accounts a very cool and happy guy.
The bike category is super difficult and those guys have some serious skills.

Last edited:

zolo

Explorer
http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2013/us/stage-7/special-release.html

Sad news. When you get hit by a police car that is supposed to be there to protect you from getting hit.
Sucks, first death of the Rally. It will be a hard day once everyone finishes and finds out the news. My respect goes out the riders family and friends.

On the lighter side, the race has proven to be a great one in all category's. I hope there are no other issue regarding life and limb for this years Dakar.

haven

Expedition Leader
There were two race-related fatalities on Wednesday evening. A support vehicle for the Race 2 Recovery team (a British team composed of former military men who were severely injured during their service) collided head on with a taxi. Two people in the taxi were killed. Many more were injured and hospitalized.

The accident is under investigation. It's not known who was at fault.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jan/10/dakar-rally-overshadowed-vehicle-crash

ATEurope

Observer
Gordon's problem is he still hasn't worked out the Dakar is an endurance race. Don't get me wrong, I love to see Robby 'giving it the beans' but his showboating style may be good for the cameras but will never win him the Dakar. He might be OK in the US on your Baja style short events but the European drivers schooled in week long rally's understand that they're in it for the long haul.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2013/us/stage-7/special-release.html

Sad news. When you get hit by a police car that is supposed to be there to protect you from getting hit.
Sucks, first death of the Rally. It will be a hard day once everyone finishes and finds out the news. My respect goes out the riders family and friends.

On the lighter side, the race has proven to be a great one in all category's. I hope there are no other issue regarding life and limb for this years Dakar.
I'm unclear who was at fault. The way it was described on tv and interviews of others it almost sounds like maybe he was overcome by exhaustion and drifted.
Regardless his and the deaths of the people in the taxi is horrible.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Gordon's problem is he still hasn't worked out the Dakar is an endurance race. Don't get me wrong, I love to see Robby 'giving it the beans' but his showboating style may be good for the cameras but will never win him the Dakar. He might be OK in the US on your Baja style short events but the European drivers schooled in week long rally's understand that they're in it for the long haul.

"Conserve" "team player" and "pace" are not in his vocabulary nor is taking responsibility for his own actions especially the strife he creates with others.
If they can build the car strong enough to survive his 600lb right ft and he doesn't have to be a "team player" he does ok. He sure showed that with his ride with VW and NASCAR. Being his own team was the best thing for him.
He is fun to watch at time ill give you that.

bob91yj

Resident **************
Like I said before, it's Checker's or Wrecker's for Robby, nothing in between.

I think every sport needs a bad guy, someone that people love to hate, for desert racing/rallying Robby fills that role perfectly. Like him or not, he is what gets US fans from outside the sport to pay any attention to Dakar.

The all-terrain rallies that are contested throughout the season will bring together enthusiasts from all countries and all directions. Often amateurs, these drivers sometimes reveal talent that cries out to be expressed against the best competitors in the discipline. It is precisely to give the most promising of them the opportunity to shine on the reference event that the Dakar Challenge was designed and created.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste