2013 F150 FX4 Family Hauler

uscg2008

Explorer
Current pic:
2df25538e9c2d25fee7899cbc7440e6a.jpg

e760ba4be8cfbe5f06c44a4046919b8d.jpg

ba7d25bdb9e4fbcec4a883559e091b42.jpg

So after after transferring to Clearwater,Fl and living in our 5th for a while the wife and kid got tired of it so we sold the beast F350 and trailer as a package and I down sized to a F150. I downsized who we could get my wife into a newer, more fuel efficient car ( got her a 2019 Ford Esape 4wd 2.0l ecoboost) since she commutes 60+miles a day for work.

Specs:
2013 F150 FX4 3.5l ECOBOOST (55k at time of purchase)
6.5ft bed
Factory rear E-locker

Planned mods:
Eibach Pro Truck lift
Total Chaos or Camburg UCAs
AAL (depending how she sits with the leveling kit)
Raptor wheels w/ 315/70/17s
Aftermarket projector headlights
LED fogs
Tow Mirrows
SPD turbo adapters
S&B cold air intake
AFE 3" cat back exhaust
Turbosmart BOV
JLT Oil Separator
Powerstop brake kit
Raptor style grill
BD 30" light bar behind the grill
BD back up lights

Please follow along. I'll try and do a better job at chronicaling the build like my previous builds.

Last edited:

uscg2008

Explorer
One of the common problems with this year of ecoboost is oil blow by and condensation getting trapped in the intercooler. The cheap easy fix is to drill a 1/16" hole in the corner of the intercooler to let it drain.
b851d8a4bc32e005e1e4d244b0928f09.jpg

Also picked up some used Raptor take offs today off of FB for $600
ba4ba83c04464a143d2704c9b637a033.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I don't know enough about the ecoboosts but wouldn't a catch can help you with oil issue? You got a steal in those wheels! Excited to see more.

ITTOG

I bought raptor takeoffs of Facebook for $350. Unfortunately I had to downsize to 285/75r17's because stock tires wouldn't fit without spacers.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

uscg2008

Explorer
What size lift were you running? I've scene guys running 2.5" lift that just had to do some minor plastic trimming or a little adjustment of the front and rear crash bars

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 9101

Current pic:
2df25538e9c2d25fee7899cbc7440e6a.jpg

e760ba4be8cfbe5f06c44a4046919b8d.jpg

ba7d25bdb9e4fbcec4a883559e091b42.jpg

So after after transferring to Clearwater,Fl and living in our 5th for a while the wife and kid got tired of it so we sold the beast F350 and trailer as a package and I down sized to a F150. I downsized who we could get my wife into a newer, more fuel efficient car ( got her a 2019 Ford Esape 4wd 2.0l ecoboost) since she commutes 60+miles a day for work.

Specs:
2013 F150 FX4 3.5l ECOBOOST (55k at time of purchase)
6.5ft bed
Factory rear E-locker

Planned mods:
Eibach Pro Truck lift
Total Chaos or Camburg UCAs
AAL (depending how she sits with the leveling kit)
Raptor wheels w/ 315/70/17s
Aftermarket projector headlights
LED fogs
Tow Mirrows
SPD turbo adapters
S&B cold air intake
AFE 3" cat back exhaust
Turbosmart BOV
JLT Oil Separator
Powerstop brake kit
Raptor style grill
BD 30" light bar behind the grill
BD back up lights

Please follow along. I'll try and do a better job at chronicaling the build like my previous builds.

Ya know...with out a proper tune, those performance mods won't amount to much. ;-)

D

Deleted member 9101

Is Ford aware of the problem? If so what's their solution?

I interestingly enough, Ford makes a catch can for the 5.0 in the F150 and the Mustang.

As for them being "aware" any direct injected motor has the potential to make the valves and head nasty over time...a catch can simply helps keep things clean.

I have run one on every car, truck, or boat that I have ever owned.

Last edited by a moderator:

uscg2008

Explorer
Ya know...with out a proper tune, those performance mods won't amount to much. ;-)
you are kind of right but better free flowing parts don't hurt a vehicle that has a computer that Is constantly making fuel/air ratio adjustments. A lot of these aftermarket parts just let the turbos spool quicker and help reduce those EGTs. But, yes a Banks Derringer tuner would be in the future as well
[/QUOTE] I have ordered the JLT oil catch can already.

D

Deleted member 9101

you are kind of right but better free flowing parts don't hurt a vehicle that has a computer that Is constantly making fuel/air ratio adjustments. A lot of these aftermarket parts just let the turbos spool quicker and help reduce those EGTs. But, yes a Banks Derringer tuner would be in the future as well

Lol @ Banks. Try Brew City Boost or one of the other shops that have a muuuuuch better reputation. A "canned tune" like the ones from Banks are not even in the same league as Brew City Boost or 5 Star tuning. Don't go with SSI though, they have a long and well documented history of sacrificing reliability for power.

Adding preformance parts to an EcoBoost that's still running the stock "tune" won't get you much of anything. It has a very narrow window that it operates in and no amount of bolt ons will change that. The truck will literailly ignore them since they deviate from stock.

I'd probably get a tune before any of the parts and then add the parts all at once and then get a revision to include them.

Also, the exhaust will only add noise, not power. If you want to make power, get a down pipe with high flow cats. The stock exhaust flows plenty for a truck with stock turbos.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I have used 5 star and I really liked it.

Banks is really good a the "sell" ... Just go check out their youtube channel. Never would I ever thought I would spend hours watching some old guy talk about differential covers. I don't think their products are markedly better than a similar product.

Also SDP Perfomance makes some good stuff. I've helped a buddy install the turbo adapter kit and man the circumference of their opening compared to stock was insane.... like half an inch bigger.

D

Deleted member 9101

I have used 5 star and I really liked it.

Banks is really good a the "sell" ... Just go check out their youtube channel. Never would I ever thought I would spend hours watching some old guy talk about differential covers. I don't think their products are markedly better than a similar product.

Also SDP Perfomance makes some good stuff. I've helped a buddy install the turbo adapter kit and man the circumference of their opening compared to stock was insane.... like half an inch bigger.

I like 5 star too...but I went with Brew City due the their Highlander/Macgiver tunes not being octane specific. I do have a very aggressive 93 octane tune for the track, but I wouldn't run it on a daily basis.

Turbo adapters plus a high flow down pipe are always a better investment than an exhaust system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles