2013 Silverado 1500 Build Thread

d-lewis

Wheel Specs

Do you know the wheel widths and offsets on your Methods? I assume its the 17 x 8.5" with a 0 offset? I haven't been able to see in person or pictures how that wheel would fit on 2007-2013 Silverados/Sierras and your pics with 35s are much appreciated!!

Barb The Yeti

Observer
Do you know the wheel widths and offsets on your Methods? I assume its the 17 x 8.5" with a 0 offset? I haven't been able to see in person or pictures how that wheel would fit on 2007-2013 Silverados/Sierras and your pics with 35s are much appreciated!!
They are exactly that. Be aware that you'll need to be very eccentric with the angle grinder if you want to fit true 35's with 3" of lift. The outside diameter of the general x3's 35's is almost exactly 35". Not 34.5 like the toyos or BFG's, so I had to trim even more than some. Also, I finally had to relocate my washer fluid reservoir. Because it rubbed pretty bad as well.

d-lewis

Thanks for the response! I'm just hoping to fit a 285/75/17 on 2-1/2 - 3" of lift. Great looking truck!

Barb The Yeti

Observer
Thanks for the response! I'm just hoping to fit a 285/75/17 on 2-1/2 - 3" of lift. Great looking truck!
That shouldn't be difficult for stockish offset rims, but for the 0 offset wheels, you might need a bit of plastic trimming. Not sure why people are so afraid of trimming.... Are you thinking of doing coilovers?

d-lewis

I have considered coilovers but may just go with Bilstein 5100s. This is my only vehicle and I drive it everyday and I don't do any hardcore offroading so I have thought a lot about front suspension. I would never use the Kings like they were meant to be and have read stories about uniball control arms failing from lack of maintenance. Leveling with 5100s and 285/75/17s will get me anywhere I can imagine I would want to go right now. I'm not afraid to trim either and assumed I would need to for a 33-34" tire.

TCICapn

Your truck is looking great! Been following along for a bit now and loving the mods. I've got a 2011 Sierra and almost everything you've put into this is on my list as well. I've got some questions if you don't mind. What height are you running on the Kings up front? Are you using aftermarket UCAs, if so which ones? I've got the 5.3L with 3.23 gears and 285/70R17 KO2s but I'm thinking I may need/want to regear for 35s. How are the 4.10s and 6-speed tranny working with the 35s for you on and off hwy? Thanks and keep it going! Great build thread and motivation (gotta start one myself soon...)

Last edited:

Barb The Yeti

Observer
Your truck is looking great! Been following along for a bit now and loving the mods. I've got a 2011 Sierra and almost everything you've put into this is on my list as well. I've got some questions if you don't mind. What height are you running on the Kings up front? Are you using aftermarket UCAs, if so which ones? I've got the 5.3L with 3.23 gears and 285/70R17 KO2s but I'm thinking I may need/want to regear for 35s. How are the 4.10s and 6-speed tranny working with the 35s for you on and off hwy? Thanks and keep it going! Great build thread and motivation (gotta start one myself soon...)

The kings up front are at about 3" I'm pretty sure. I was planning on running them @ 2.5" but from what I set them at, I'm getting 3". I am not running UCA'S yet, but I am planning on getting the cognito ball joint ones, because the uniballs need a lot of maintenance especially in mud/salt.
4.10's and 35's with the 6 speed are the best. In 6th on the highway, I'm at about 2,100 rpm @80mph, but it has plenty of power offroad, especially in 4 low. I had almost the same combo, but I only had 3.08 gears with my 285's and it was a dog on hills, I couldn't even imagine what it would be with 35's... the 4.10's were actually pretty good even with 285's, but it is much more suited to 35's especially for gas milage.
If you are going to run true 35's on 3" of lift, and 0 offset wheels like I have, you are gonna need to TRIM HARD. Norcal fender mod isn't enough, you either need fiberglass fenders, or to get real intimate with your angle grinder, and not be afraid to chop A LOT of that inner fender metal. 100% possible, I don't rub even flexed, but it was some serious chopping that would make some squeemish. Also, you will need to relocate the washer resovoir.

Another thing to consider doing is adding an aux trans cooler if you don't have on already. Dropped my temps a lot.

TCICapn

Thanks for the reply! 3" is what I am looking for as well so that's good to know. Currently running Bilstein 5100s and I've toyed with the idea of the 4" BDS system but I'd rather go Kings and UCAs. 6" just sounds too tall to me. I agree on the uniball vs. ball joint, I just haven't found many ball joint UCAs for our trucks. If there were options for sealed uniball arms like Icon makes for the Toyotas I'd look harder at them. I will likely end up with Cognito as well and probably run spacers or new wheels.

That RPM-to-speed sounds perfect to me, was trying to decide between 3.73 and 4.10, so you may have just convinced me to go 4.10.

On the tires front I love my KO2s and would likely get 315/70R17 or 35/12.50R17 in that tire and so be a little shorter than your X3s. I'm thinking I may get away with the NorCal fender mod with maybe a little extra massaging. As a follow-up, can you tell me what part numbers you order for your King's? Their website shows adjustable and non-adjustable but no mention of extended travel vs. stock travel, which is what I would need with longer travel UCAs, right?

Good tip on the trans cooler, it usually runs ok but I should keep an eye on it. May be something to add. I can't recall if you mentioned it before but can you tell me what cooler you went with?

Overado

Observer
Finally! 35's are here. General x3's in 35x12.5R17 on method Grids
20170329_182632_zpszmmsw7vs.jpg

20170329_182647_zpswmmejavn.jpg

lots of trimming done to fit, a little more to keep em from rubbing flexed out.

Truck looks great man! Those 35s tuck in nicely must have been some serious moments with the grinder and a hammer glad the norcal mod worked out

Barb The Yeti

Observer
The kings are all extended travel. There is some kind of limiter that can be removed for even more travel, with UCA'S from what I understand.
The transmission cooler I used was the stock chevy towing aux cooler.
The nor cal mod was not nearly enough, and I had to do some serious metal removal. I will post pics of my hack job sometime.

TCICapn

I finally looked up my RPO codes today and turns out I actually have the 3.42 gears (not 3.23, sweet!) and the heavy duty transmission cooler! Also I've been watching and my trans temp doesn't seem to get much above 150F while driving about.

That's interesting on the Kings, I think I'll have to give them a call to figure all this out. Budget allowing I'd like to put a set on later this year...

That'd be great, pics would be a huge help, thanks! I've still got some time before the fender mods since I have a decent amount of tread left on my 285 ko2s, but I'll be mentally prepared when the time comes haha. Your truck just looks too damn good for me not to do the same to mine!

cheapthrills

Hi, I am a long time lurker, new member to the forum. Over summer 2015, I acquired a 2013 Silverado LT 1500 4x4 with the 5.3.
This is what it looked like when I got it
20150807_104747_zpsgea32zfe.jpg

After a level and 33" BFG K02's
20150902_135346_zpsh2oqwrom.jpg

Behind the grill 20" light bar
20160205_223046_zpsg9zv9vkh.jpg

Trip to Zion's national park
b21f5aef-1512-4f4e-8027-46e753d33b45_zpsoczqy6of.jpg

I have been steadily doing mods, including Bilstein 5100's on all sides, and some other minor aesthetic changes.
I am hopefully going to be putting this bumper on that I designed, sooner or later.
Bumper_zpsfgxwhliz.jpg

I would love some feedback!
Hello just thought I'd drop a line.... do you know what engine options your truck has?

Active Fuel Management?
Variable valve timing?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Barb The Yeti

Observer
I finally looked up my RPO codes today and turns out I actually have the 3.42 gears (not 3.23, sweet!) and the heavy duty transmission cooler! Also I've been watching and my trans temp doesn't seem to get much above 150F while driving about.

That's interesting on the Kings, I think I'll have to give them a call to figure all this out. Budget allowing I'd like to put a set on later this year...

That'd be great, pics would be a huge help, thanks! I've still got some time before the fender mods since I have a decent amount of tread left on my 285 ko2s, but I'll be mentally prepared when the time comes haha. Your truck just looks too damn good for me not to do the same to mine!

Thank you so much for the compliment!I finally got those pics for ya.
Warning: Fender carnage
20170414_162104_zpst6b2nc85.jpg

20170414_162111_zpsfo4ceb78.jpg

I will probably end up rubberizing it, and cleaning it up a bit more, but that's what I had to do. It looks a little gnarly, but its unnoticeable unless you look close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles