2013 Silverado Adventure Build

wrmmt

Adventurer
Current Set Up
dsc-9965fin_orig.jpg

Ive been lurking here for awhile checking out all the awesome builds, and finally looks like I am going to get one of my own started up. Just picked up a 2013 silverado 1500 a couple weeks ago and am planning on turning it into a base camp for both longer trips as well as camping trips in the local mountains. Here are a couple pictures of the base, and a little list of what I am thinking of for the build right now.

Going to keep it pretty simple since it is going to be my daily driver more than it will be an expedition truck, but I want it to be quite capable there as well...

Upcoming Additions
ARE Z Series topper (will have it all installed by tomorrow evening hopefully)
Level and Ultra Phantom wheels (shop I ordered them with found out the rims are currently sitting on a ship on the coast, waiting to be unloaded, but recent strike over there means it will be awhile before the supplier gets them in hand, so right now I am just waiting...)
Tires: Not sure what I am going to go for, will have to wait a little untial my bank account recovers some from the initial truck/topper/wheels purchasing...
Roof rack: right now thinking a Baja rack or ARB
Solar panel system for charging of cameras etc... ac/cooling for the dog in the summer, fridge/freezer in the future, anything else I may need
Some kind of organization/storage for fuel/water/emergency gear etc...

Future Additions/Wish List
Upgraded shocks/suspension: Right now thinking of keeping it simple, upgrading to some king/icon/other shock setup
LED light bar(s): not sure if I want a roof mount, or bumper mount, or combination
Bumper: not sure what I want to do here, may just leave the stock, may look into a pre-runner style. Probably the bottom of the list right now, will see what I think when I get the rest put together...
Anything else I come up with along the way...

Looking forward to getting her all built up getting out in the mountains. Any and all comments/suggestions are welcome!

IMG_20150305_084423.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

Last edited:

wrmmt

Adventurer
That's a nice set up, some great ideas in there! How large are those tires, and how much lift did that suspension add?

jimi breeze

jimi breeze
Keep things simple. My 2010 Silverado has done me well with my travels. I removed the rear seat for extra room, installed dual batteries which maybe all you need. I recently bought 80 watt solar panels to juice up the batteries over long stays. Ect, ect.

What wheel offset are you guys ruining?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    569.1 KB · Views: 243
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    559.9 KB · Views: 225

KAkers

I would at least do the leveling shocks from bilstein and add a leafs for the rear. The stock suspension is defiantly more road than off road designed. Look at a hidden winch also I really like mine. Toppers with a bunch of stuff in the back will sag the rear.

Clutch

<---Pass

wrmmt

Adventurer
Got the topper all set up yesterday evening, and looks like I will be getting the wheels set up early next week. I went with the +25 offset, well see how it looks! Will post pictures when its done. Well, I am definitely going to keep it pretty simple right now, that may change when my job starts back up fully though, I may have too many ideas by then...

Clutch

<---Pass
Got the topper all set up yesterday evening, and looks like I will be getting the wheels set up early next week. I went with the +25 offset, well see how it looks! Will post pictures when its done. Well, I am definitely going to keep it pretty simple right now, that may change when my job starts back up fully though, I may have too many ideas by then...

Awesome, yeah keep it simple...build or modify to what you need. Stock truck will go a lot of places.

This one is not as radical as the pictures I posted above.

It has Upper Control Arms and Coil-Overs, taking off the front bumper greatly improves approach angle. UCA's are from Total Chaos

3--1000.jpg

100_5387-1000.jpg

wrmmt

Adventurer
Got the wheels put on today, pretty pleased with how it looks! Will get a couple better pictures tomorrow, but here are a couple driveway shots...
Next up is probably going to be a little gear management for the bed, but we will see what happens!

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

Last edited:

wrmmt

Adventurer
Here are a couple pictures from this afternoon with the new additions. Next up is probably some gear management/tie downs for the bed, and likely getting rid of the pinstripe. Can't quite decide if I should keep it or not, but I think it may have to go... Probably some new tires in the future as well, but not really sure what to get yet, any suggestions?

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

wrmmt

Adventurer
Well, not much has happened on the truck the last couple weeks, was on a vacation with some family last week and the weather has not been too cooperative this week. Hopefully that will change soon. The next changes will be to remove the sticker pin stripe from the sides, and I think I will take off the front air damn under the bumper, see if I like it better that way. If the weather is nice I hope to do that this weekend, otherwise next week sometime... Im also about ready to order a slimline II rack for the shell to carry a solar panel and add some tie down room for some oversize stuff. As for tires, I think I have it down to 3 choices: Toyo AT or RT, Nitto Exo Grappler, or General grabber at2, still not completely sure though.

Hopefully will have some update pics soon. In the mean time, here are a couple quick driveway shots...

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

wrmmt

Adventurer
Well, thanks to weather like this...
IMG_0408.jpg
...I haven't been able to work on the truck outside any. However, I did get new tires on yesterday, ended up going with the new BFG AT ko2s and bumped up to 33s. Look pretty nice on the truck, and so far I really like them. Only been a day, but they seem to ride great on the road, if there's any increase in noise, it is hardly noticeable, and the truck seems to ride a little smoother than before (33s probably help there too...). Took a short trip into the mountains today for a little hike and get the new tires dirty. They did fine, nothing crazy, but they took the dried up mud and a few muddy ruts with ease. Will have some pictures from today up shortly, hopefully tomorrow, but here's a quick shot of the new shoes for now!
IMG_0410.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles