2014-16 EcoDiesel - Post settlement and ECU update?

zuren

Adventurer
An opportunity may be presenting itself, so I'm trying to get read-up on the EcoDiesel as fast as I can.

I haven't been in a rush, but loosely researching 1/2 ton crew cab trucks to replace my fullsize van (sold) and a VW station wagon. Long ago I was interested in the RAM EcoDiesels, but then the emissions lawsuit happened and I forgot about them. My attention has mostly been focused on Ford F150s with crew cab, 4x4, 6.5' bed, 3.5L EcoBoost, and Heavy Duty Payload Package.

The opportunity is a friend is helping another guy sell his 2015 RAM 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman EcoDiesel. The owner has left the country for work, has a loan on it, and we are told he is motivated (he is in Toronto paying on a truck that is sitting in rural Michigan). The truck checks a lot of boxes:

- Outdoorsman package
- Front bench seat
- 6.4' bed
- Bedliner
- other upgrades
- have liked the interior of the RAM truck better than other makes I've been in.
- supposedly near 30MPG highway
- asking price is in line with other EcoDiesels of similar age and mileage

Three things do give me pause:

- EcoDiesel engine - Have never owned a diesel. I've read that the fix for the emissions was a software update, and some owners have complained that this caused their trucks to be sluggish after the fact. Has anyone experienced this?
- Mileage - Odometer is at 100,000 miles. Now that these engines have been in the wild for a long time, are they proving to be reliable? Usually diesels have a long life span, and 100,000 miles is just getting broken in.
- Payload - according to the VIN decoder, payload is about 1700 lbs. This crushes any hope/dream I had to put a shell camper in the back for family camping versus the 2600 lb. payload of an F150 with HDPP. A shell FWC Hawk is ~900 lbs. Based on comments from this forum and elsewhere, sleeping 2 adults and 2 young kids in a camper like that may have been a pipe-dream anyway.

I know the maintenance costs tend to be higher for diesels, but I work from home, so I won't be using this to commute.

I'm hoping to hear from existing EcoDiesel owners regarding what your experiences have been after the settlement and software fix, and general comments on ownership.

Thanks!

I have a 2016 Lonestar edition ED.

Short story, I love it!

Long story, the new ECM update is supposed to fix a majority of the issues that people complain about (lag, shift points, etc).

I’m planning to get mine flashed next week, so I will be able to get you first hand experience on the new flash after that.

I looked at an Outdoorsman before purchasing mine, I loved it. Just couldn’t get the dealer to come down to my price.

Feel free to message me with any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ducstrom

I'd be really surprised if it had a 1700 lb payload.
I had a 2014 Ram outdoorsman, quad cab, 6.4' bed with the 8 speed and Hemi. My payload sticker showed 1450lbs. I have a friend who owned basically the same truck, a 2015 with the EcoDiesel and his payload was in the 1100lb range.
With the extra stuff you mentioned added to the vehicle that'll drop it more.
I had a spray in bed liner, rubber mudflaps, and 33" duratracs on method 17" wheels added to mine. Some ratchet straps and a bag of tools behind the seat and I only had about 850lbs of payload left when I actually drove it over the scales. (I am also 220lbs).
I'd get him to send you a photo of the payload sticker to confirm.

zuren

Adventurer
I'd be really surprised if it had a 1700 lb payload.
I had a 2014 Ram outdoorsman, quad cab, 6.4' bed with the 8 speed and Hemi. My payload sticker showed 1450lbs. I have a friend who owned basically the same truck, a 2015 with the EcoDiesel and his payload was in the 1100lb range.
With the extra stuff you mentioned added to the vehicle that'll drop it more.
I had a spray in bed liner, rubber mudflaps, and 33" duratracs on method 17" wheels added to mine. Some ratchet straps and a bag of tools behind the seat and I only had about 850lbs of payload left when I actually drove it over the scales. (I am also 220lbs).
I'd get him to send you a photo of the payload sticker to confirm.

You're right. I just took a closer look at this:

Quad cab, 4x4, 6'4" bed, EcoDiesel is listed at 1,400 lbs. I was going by the VIN and what the online "VIN Decoder" told me. Apparently that is not very accurate. I will have to look in person.

zuren

Adventurer
If you want a slide in camper (other than a stripped shell model) in a half ton the F150 HDPP is your only real option to stay at or under the payload.

It would have to be a stripped shell model with the Ford HDPP package, pretty much no matter what. For any lesser truck, I would have to abandon the camper idea.

crazysccrmd

Observer
It would have to be a stripped shell model with the Ford HDPP package, pretty much no matter what. For any lesser truck, I would have to abandon the camper idea.

Both the 4x4 super cab and super crew have a max payload right around 2700lbs, obviously decreased depending on how well optioned out the truck is configured.

Halligan

Adventurer
My cousins ecodiesel just self destructed at 100,500 miles. Not sure what year but thinking it's a 2016. Many of his miles were highway and he took good care of it. I would not buy an ecodiesel myself but it's your call.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Everyone seems to love those silly Eco-diesels.... until the engine pops ?

At least one member on this very forum raving that they were the best things since sliced bread.... then the motor popped ;)

phsycle

Adventurer
Everyone seems to love those silly Eco-diesels.... until the engine pops ?

At least one member on this very forum raving that they were the best things since sliced bread.... then the motor popped ;)

I haven't been super impressed with it's towing abilities, either. As much as I'm not a fan of the TFL "tests," the ecodiesel tow up I-70 was not that great. Almost bordering terrible.
I wonder how they do with a full load in bed? Similar, I'd imagine.

The main advantage appears to be MPG when on a long road tip, loaded moderately in bed. 30MPG would be nice.

phsycle

Adventurer
I have a 2014 ED, the first motor let go @ 40k, I'm sitting at 90k now and the truck loses value on a monthly bases it seems.

Having to do it over again, would you opt for the 5.7 or 3.6 instead? The ED seems to work for a lot of people who do long drives and carry small to moderate loads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94