2014 Express AWD cargo van PNW 4 season camper

iridewheelies

Adventurer
After 15 years, I decided to sell my Vanagon Syncro earlier this year. It was a good van and she never let me down but I was at a point where I either dumped a whole bunch of cash into it or I sell it and get something bigger. I decided to sell it because I needed something that could tow a heavy trailer. Plus I thought I'd be able to get a pretty good price for it, Syncro vans seem to be at, or near, peak value right now.
IMG_9492.jpgIMG_1185.JPG
IMG_9415.jpgIMG_0013.jpg

I'd originally planned to keep the vanagon forever, thinking that there was no new vehicle (sold in the USA) on the market that would meet my needs. Sprinter is too big for off road travel, I don't want a giant Sportsmobile 4x4 and something like a Tiger is way out of my price range. I just can't see spending $130,000 on a camper van. I'd be afraid to drive it anywhere.

One day I was looking around the internet at camper van forms and I came across Accrete's van on the sportsmobile forum: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5996

When I saw his van with the hightop on it I knew it would be perfect for me. I made the decision to sell the vanagon and get a chevy right then and there.

I contacted my local chevy dealer and asked about ordering a brand new one from the factory. Since it was getting close to the end of the manufacturing year and the dealer couldn't guarantee my van would be built, I decided to buy one off the lot at a dealer up in Mt Vernon. It was pretty close to what I wanted and it was the only one available so I think I was pretty lucky to find it.

This is the van, not sure why the video is still on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wftrKkiCRwI

0.jpg

I've put about 13,000 miles on it already. My girlfriend and I have camped all over the northwest this summer. Not long after getting it we took it on a road trip down to Bahia De Los Angeles in Baja Mexico stopping in San Diego and Lake Tahoe on the way home. The van drove great. It was so nice to have air-conditioning! We camped for almost three weeks and only spent $100 on lodging for the whole trip. We camped for free most nights, all of the camping fees were at campgrounds in Mexico.
IMG_2519.jpgIMG_1985.jpg

Now that I've sold the Syncro I have the money to start making this van into a 4 season camper. First step was getting some headroom. I've ordered a 24" hightop from Van Specialties in Oregon. It's being painted silver to match this week and hopefully I'll drive down to have it installed next week. Once the top is on I'll build the interior. I'm going to build a dinette in the back, a kitchen cabinet on the drivers side, swivel passenger seat and cabinets along the roof on the driver side only. I bought a webasto gasoline AT2000ST from Ebay to keep us warm in the winter. We like to camp out in the RV lot at White Pass on weekends during ski season.

I have so many cool ideas for this van. I'll do my best to share the work I do here on the forum. I'll update this post with pictures as soon as I get my top on. I'm excited to get started on this build. I have a long road in front of me.
IMG_1962.jpg

mallthus

Pretty good at some stuff
You may discover your new van also rises in value over time. 2014 is that last year for the Express 1500, both RWD and AWD. Buying from dealer stock was, as it turned out, was prescient.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
You may discover your new van also rises in value over time. 2014 is that last year for the Express 1500, both RWD and AWD. Buying from dealer stock was, as it turned out, was prescient.

Very true. My van is a 2010 with 90k on it now. I'm already considering trying to find another low mile awd to hang onto and build up when this one is worn out.

rockbender

Adventurer
Nice! That is awesome that you found a slider cargo van with the LTZ front end (and in a color other than white!). We have an '09 that we are just starting a conversion on. I am jealous that you found the gas fueled Webasto! We loved the Espar in our old van (and never having to worry about needing to have a separate fuel source for it), but I've already succumbed to the LP fueled Propex. It should work just fine and it will be nice to have a stove top too.

Looking forward to following your project along!

iridewheelies

Adventurer
The very first improvement to the van was to get some better tires. I didn't have faith in the factory tires. We like to drive on old logging roads with sharp gravel. I've seen a lot of silly flat tires from sharp rocks on my friends rigs. I'm not interested in changing a tire in the mud when it's 36 degrees and raining out.
5d5a81a25937d6371290a99a9c6f12a2.jpg

Here I am, investigating a rock stuck in the rotor or something. Squealed like crazy but nothing was there when I got the wheel off

I went with 5 new Cooper Discoverer AT3 in the stock size. I got the 10 ply for supreme durability.

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/DISCOVERER-A-T3.aspx

I'll rotate the spare in to give longer life and keep all 5 tires at the same wear level. That way, if one tire gets a fatal tear in the sidewalk I won't have to buy 4 new tires.

So far I really like them. They are quiet on the road and seem to be great in the dirt. I haven't seen snow with them yet.

java

Expedition Leader
Very cool! My ski bum rig is a little bigger, but ill keep an eye out for you around the local hills! Cant wait to see the top.

iridewheelies

Adventurer
I've seen it as high as 20 on freeway trips with no bike rack but it's usually closer to 16-17. OnStar is saying 15 for the lifetime average.
28b2314a158903e5e9f6ba1bbe8a921f.jpg

iridewheelies

Adventurer
The next big upgrade was a pioneer stereo. My brother owns a car audio shop here in Olympia so I got it for a good price. Even at a steep discount, it wasn't cheap.

Luckily, he gave me some help with the install. The was way harder than installing a CD player in my old vanagon. By "some help" I mean I basically just sat there and watched.

6e013031bb37f535cc901a041543eda2.jpg

It has apple CarPlay. It works really well with iPhone, especially the maps app.

959c9cb14f0041fda89803423f07c771.jpg

My brother is working on a plan for the speakers and amps. He's a car audio wizard so I'm sure he'll come up with something amazing. In the mean time, even with the stock speakers, I'm really enjoying the stereo.

The xm is nice when I'm out in rural areas away from radio stations and our phones have no service. HD radio is really cool for when I'm near cities.

This is the stereo: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/DVD-Receivers/AVH-4000NEX

iridewheelies

Adventurer
The next upgrade was a pioneer stereo.

I went with the AVH-4000NEX

My brother owns a car audio shop here in Olympia. He got me the stereo for a really good price but it still wasn't cheap. Luckily he gave me some help with the install. By "some help" I mean I basically just sat there and watched.
c2c29550e8c2df8855d892f3c71bd097.jpg

I love it. It looks great in the dash. It has XM satellite radio for when we're out in the boonies and there are no radio stations and no cell service. It has Apple CarPlay so it works really well with our phones. Especially with the maps app.

0f6363de46fac8adf8913f0031ce95a5.jpg

Next up is speakers and amps. My brother is a car audio wizard. He's working on a plan to do some really cool stuff with the speakers. He's good at keeping a stock look with his upgrades so it won't look like much while it will sound amazing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94